Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Trailerboat Swains trip from Yeppoon

Re: Trailerboat Swains trip from Yeppoon

Quote Originally Posted by mustang5 View Post
    Well I must say I have never been to Port Clinton no. But based on the Charts it seems very feasible.
    Well I used to go to Port Clinton every year and before we went we had to get permission and you weren't allow to land. All supplies would have to be taken there by boat and cannot be stored on land.

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    Kaypee ... you know this guy; http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...=1#post1449662

You're probably right Lucas, don't think I could keep up with 'mum and dad'!

Cheers,
    Shows how much notice I took. Didn't even read who started the thread just joined in for the fun of it.

I think this thread should be renamed 'ooooglies of the swains' and should have a minimum of 50 pages worth of comments before anyone even attempts it.. Only 46 more pages to go boys!

this is nothing like ooglies of the deep, no one except the thread starter talked about actually going. where as ooglies of the deep has been attempted by me and would have been successful had i not had fuel line issues and fuel flow meter issues.
    all sorted and waiting to get home for a second attempt.

I think you'll find, like ooglies of the deep, people regularly attempt these amazing feats in boats like you speak of, with considerable success by concentrating on preparation instead of talking about it. I'm not having a dig, but this trip you are talking about is nothing more than extra preparation, fuel and comms gear. Plus there is the added bonus of having plenty of reefs to take shelter behind should it blowy while out there. Hire a sat phone or buy one between you and put it in the biggest boat and along with epirbs etc, help is readily available if needed.

Not too many guys on Ausfish that have more experience than Horse Mister. So rather than trying to jump in and shut down someone's (absolutely possible) dreams, offer some good helpful advice or stay the hell out of it!!!

And if you had asked horse about doing that trip mister, he organised it all last year and if it wasnt for an unfortunate accident it would have happened...

Well you've started something now boys, talk it up all you like, but you haven't done it yet. I've got nothing to prove, I've been there a heap of times. Hell I was was looking for the crew of the Rockin Robin in a cyclone there, and they were in a much better boat than you're proposing to do the run in. Then there was the time we went to survey the Swains lighthouse with old man Toy on the Pacific Conquest - we came home minus a tender and a whale gate. When it's all in your favour its a nice place, but its a big paddock and a long way home - I wouldn't be so flippant about doing the run in a little planing hulled trailer boat. Having the fuel capacity for a fair weather run to the closest part of the reef and back is not even the start of it.
    If you do go, I look forward to the 'I told you so posts' - it'll have been a proper trip.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

I think if you wanna go swains your better off booking a charter. I have been to Percy's and swains and a lot of boats do the hop on the way to swains I saw them. I think the closest ground u can get to would most probably be smashed from most of the rivieras that go out there for the weekend.. Also I have seen many times where the fish just shut down at swains and not take the bait.. We caught some good fish around Percy island and some cracking estuary cod in 80m of water.. Maybe an adventure with a few boats there would be a bit more enjoyable with a possibility of a quick dart to swains if weather allows..

Quote Originally Posted by hooknpull View Post
    I think if you wanna go swains your better off booking a charter. I have been to Percy's and swains and a lot of boats do the hop on the way to swains I saw them. I think the closest ground u can get to would most probably be smashed from most of the rivieras that go out there for the weekend.. Also I have seen many times where the fish just shut down at swains and not take the bait.. We caught some good fish around Percy island and some cracking estuary cod in 80m of water.. Maybe an adventure with a few boats there would be a bit more enjoyable with a possibility of a quick dart to swains if weather allows..

Did you try plastics i hear good things about them?

Don't mistake my comments for being flippant GBC. Lose respect for the ocean and she will claim you, no doubt about it. But I can speak from experience as well and all I'm saying is its doable. Have I done it? Yes. Would I do it again? Prob not, it wasn't worth it. I have a boat more than capable of the trip (however I had my crack at the swains in a previous boat) but I much prefer other areas for the ways I fish. If blokes were to base themselves at Percy and do an overnighter to the swains its easily done given good weather and preparation. Whether they catch enough fish to make it worthwhile depends on how many on board and how much they like spanglys and rte.

When we do it, it will be based out of the percy's and will be dependant on good weather...

Pity you can't still get curried goat off Andy at Middle Percy.

There's a few boys around Karratha who have customised trailer boats to run out the Monte's and they have a blog - I'll have a look for a link. They have well set up rigs.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    Did you try plastics i hear good things about them?
    Times like this I wish i could thank u and dislike ur smart ass comments lol :p

If you have a dream go for it! There is a sweedish sailor planning a round the world trip in a 10 foot sailboat at the moment!

What would be ideal is to have a mothership meet you out there to re-fuel etc, and assist if required.

My dream is a 50 foot liveaboard and plan to hit the swains and beyond (purely pleasure) - unfortunately it will be a couple of years away yet. Would be good to have a couple of fishing rigs come out to go chasing the big ones in.