Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Trailerboat Swains trip from Yeppoon

Re: Trailerboat Swains trip from Yeppoon

So if you did it Brett.....none of us would ever hear a word of it?

Not even the tiniest of a brag story?

Quote Originally Posted by Bull 1 View Post
    Pretty sure its more about the adventure. We all know we can catch plenty of fish a lot closer than the swains. I'm not sure about bragging at the local boat club but it would be a life experience I would love to do.
    Sorry to disappoint you but you can't do it your boat falls into the 6-7mt range and according to mister it can't be done in that size boat.
    All to the Lucee. I reckon we can fit. He never mentioned smaller boats.
    Gates of hell my ass doesn't he realize water ad fire don't mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post

You would if i was on board!

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post

Mate you would know about it once I got back into mobile coverage I would tell every one I know.
    But I don't go down the boat club on Friday nights lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bull 1 View Post
    Mate you would know about it once I got back into mobile coverage I would tell every one I know.
    But I don't go down the boat club on Friday nights lol

Are you sure? It seems like something you would do...

mate if it happens & you get it done, I for one would love to hear about it
    it's like the trailer boat to Nui Guinea & back, or the trailer boat around the Cape from Weipa to Cairns, or the jet skis up the West coast of Canada & Alaska
    great adventures
    Barra, Boars, Bundy & bare arsed
    cottersfnq@yahoo.com.au

I have spent many a day out at the swains aboard a 120fter. is at least 200km each way from roslyn. forget port clinton I don't know how it ever came up is a long way out of the road to visit.
    I know many people with large cats with the fuel capacity to do this sort of trip, yet none of them do it. leaving from stanage doesn't really shorten your trip either.
    VHF radio drops out at about 95km out of roslyn.
    I run by S.O.L.A.S which would prevent any such trip in my boat as I have no SAT phone and my fuel capacity is nowhere near sufficient
    In misters rough way I believe he is correct.( sometimes it helps to listern to the wise advise of experience)

Just my 2 bobs worth take it or leave it.

We are so lucky to have Old Mister to guide us all with his great wealth of maritime knowledge. I wonder what he thinks of our Breaksea M&Gs or our 1770 trips (come on down Booney). With a bit of planning and a break in the weather a trip to the Swains out of Stanage or Yepoon is very feasible in a seaworthy 6-7m vessel .
    Out of Stanage a fuel bladder or jerry can dump on the Percys and a couple of new lures and youre all set for the trip of a lifetime. Its only 30NM to Middle Percy, have a raft up and a bit of a kip then 35NM to the Swains. You will be there before breakfast.
    Yepoon is a bit longer but I would use Port Clinton (38NM + 64NM to Swains) or Island Head Creek (50NM + 60NM to Swains) as a fuel dump and overnight stay. Carrying fuel is your biggest issue
    Brett and Grazza, you can also hire a sat phone to increase the safety and update Facebook in real time out there. You might even be able to get Misters number to give him a call for some up to date advice.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

So where's this 'boat club' that's full of swashbuckling adventure seekers full of tales of daring exploits and near run in's with hell on the high seas?

Sign me up!!

Kaypee, Mustang, Bull, anyone, if any of you make it I'll buy the drinks while you tell the war stories.

Hell (there's that word again), even if you attempt it I want to hear about it. The planning, the provisioning, equipment, boat prep, crewing, what worked - what didn't. I'll still buy you a drink just to be there and listen to someone who had a go rather than someone who just said nah, can't be done.

Also, like to add that I fully understand setting up a base camp, fuel dump, at somewhere like Port Clinton.

Cheers,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    So where's this 'boat club' that's full of swashbuckling adventure seekers full of tales of daring exploits and near run in's with hell on the high seas?

Sign me up!!

Kaypee, Mustang, Bull, anyone, if any of you make it I'll buy the drinks while you tell the war stories.

Hell (there's that word again), even if you attempt it I want to hear about it. The planning, the provisioning, equipment, boat prep, crewing, what worked - what didn't. I'll still buy you a drink just to be there and listen to someone who had a go rather than someone who just said nah, can't be done.

Also, like to add that I fully understand setting up a base camp, fuel dump, at somewhere like Port Clinton.

Cheers,
    Who? and you don't want to be part of this Friday night club apparently dicktracey and muddytoes are mum and dad..

Mister is just upset that he lives in WA and drives a cat which we all know are unsuitable for the chop.

My new model boat, a 540 sig, was taken all the way to Japan by Hans Tolstrup in the late 90's. There are some great stories about the 5 mtr trailer boat that does the run from the tip to New Guinea carrying hardware and toys to one of the remote villages.

The most memorable Malcom Douglas show was when he went from Tassie to Port Phillip Bay in his old Quintrex with an early 2 stroke being chased by a huge weather front.

Good luck with it guys. Have you thought about discussing the project with one of the charter boats and using them to carry some fuel out?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Call it what you like, people ask for advise, they've got advise and if they don't like the advice then tell someone else who cares.

Fancy anybody in their right mind thinking they are going to perserve fuel by first going via Port Clinton? In a 6-7 trailer boat, you have to be kidding yourself!
    Well I must say I have never been to Port Clinton no. But based on the Charts it seems very feasible.

Now the distance from Port Clinton to the Swains is 140-160km. I did this distance in the same heading (Gladstone north Channel to Moresby Bank) last week, and will do it again this evening.

Return trip for 320km I use 310L, out of a possible 650L on board, and that was including rough seas heading out....

Tell me Mister... Whats so fierce about tackling a 140km stretch with a couple of buddy boats with good weather?? Then also tell me, why there are plenty out there that do it in 6-7m boats. Maybe they dont have time to chat about it on Ausfish as they are too busy enjoying using their boats to their capabilities.

Mate, If Malcolm Douglas can cross the Bass Straight in 1964 in a 5m boat with a Johnson 2 stroke on the back, what the hell is stopping trailer boaties from making 140-160km stretch with modern day 4 strokes and buddy boats along side.

Additionally, who gives a sh!t about the fishing. Why buy a 6-7-8m boat if you are happy to catch similar or better fish close to shore?

Its your pessimistic approach that encourages people to do things like this, so I thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    Mister is just upset that he lives in WA and drives a cat which we all know are unsuitable for the chop.

My new model boat, a 540 sig, was taken all the way to Japan by Hans Tolstrup in the late 90's. There are some great stories about the 5 mtr trailer boat that does the run from the tip to New Guinea carrying hardware and toys to one of the remote villages.

The most memorable Malcom Douglas show was when he went from Tassie to Port Phillip Bay in his old Quintrex with an early 2 stroke being chased by a huge weather front.

Good luck with it guys. Have you thought about discussing the project with one of the charter boats and using them to carry some fuel out?

Which Malcolm Douglas show was that? I havent seen that one I dont think. Ive got the bass straight adventure but dont recall him using his quintrex.. :/ If you could let me know ill add that one to the collection for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang5 View Post
    Which Malcolm Douglas show was that? I havent seen that one I dont think. Ive got the bass straight adventure but dont recall him using his quintrex.. :/ If you could let me know ill add that one to the collection for sure.
    I wish I had a copy, its etched in my mind. He said, at the time, it was the greatest adventure he ever had. There was a huge swell and ominous black clouds chasing him the whole way. He got a big reception when he arrived through the heads.

Sorry I can't help you with chasing it down but if you manage to get a copy could you let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    Who? and you don't want to be part of this Friday night club apparently dicktracey and muddytoes are mum and dad..
    Kaypee ... you know this guy; http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...=1#post1449662

You're probably right Lucas, don't think I could keep up with 'mum and dad'!

Cheers,
    Jim