Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exploit website toolkit 4 attack

Exploit website toolkit 4 attack

This morning when logging onto Ausfish and changing pages my virus alert keeps coming up that it has blocked an attack by the Exploit Website Toolkit 4 as per attached. Has anyone else having these problems or is it only me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Exploit website toolkit 4 attack

Yep my virus checker is doing the same thing

If you Google it, there is quite a bit of info regarding it.
    If you use Internet Explorer for a browser, you should consider changing to another browser, and don't use Norton or Mcfee antivirus as these are over sensitive to some issues. But have a read on Google and make up your own mind and keep your programs updated.

Gon Fishun, I was doing some sensitive work across the internet and only got the alert when I had a free moment and opened Ausfish, as I had little time to work out what the issue was I terminated my other work and have just got back in. I had a look on Google just now and it has left me even more confused, is it the firewall, an ad on Ausfish or over sensitive virus protection, in the background of all the information I still seem to understand that this is malicious software or am I wrong.
    I am not IT savvy, I only drive the keybord (I also drive car and have no idea of the workings of it) and when previously advised to change from Norton, McAfee or Internet Explorer etc due to some ongoing issues I sought advice from my nephew who is an IT professional and he advised that changing software was usually the easy way out and never addressed the fundamental problem which varied on a case by case basis. From what I have read I can ignore the alerts as the attack has been blocked but what causes it. My nephew is OS at the moment but I will email him for further details but I would be greatfull if some one could explain this in plain language.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Gon Fishun, I was doing some sensitive work across the internet and only got the alert when I had a free moment and opened Ausfish, as I had little time to work out what the issue was I terminated my other work and have just got back in. I had a look on Google just now and it has left me even more confused, is it the firewall, an ad on Ausfish or over sensitive virus protection, in the background of all the information I still seem to understand that this is malicious software or am I wrong.
    I am not IT savvy, I only drive the keybord (I also drive car and have no idea of the workings of it) and when previously advised to change from Norton, McAfee or Internet Explorer etc due to some ongoing issues I sought advice from my nephew who is an IT professional and he advised that changing software was usually the easy way out and never addressed the fundamental problem which varied on a case by case basis. From what I have read I can ignore the alerts as the attack has been blocked but what causes it. My nephew is OS at the moment but I will email him for further details but I would be greatfull if some one could explain this in plain language.

I have AVG and Avast antivirus( paid Versions) on my wifes laptop. She was complaining about ads popping up in facebook and on the web browser( Google). What happened was she had downloaded some software which contained malware. It was called "browse to save ads". If you clicked on it, it took you to another web site. It took a lot of fiddling to get rid of it, But I would guess it came in on the back of a software download and because we don't often read all the hoo ha or the ELUA we allow them in.
    There is a small free program called Adblock which i have tried and it worked ok. But I'am not keen on all these little ad ons.
    Because we have ticked the "allow box" when downloading, Antivirus programs wont' pick up the malware.
    Hope this helps. Cheers.

This was copied from Wikipedia.

Malware, short for malicious (or malevolent) software, is software used or created by attackers to disrupt computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems. It can appear in the form of code, scripts, active content, and other software.[1] 'Malware' is a general term used to refer to a variety of forms of hostile or intrusive software.[2]
    Malware includes computer viruses, worms, trojan horses, spyware, adware, and other malicious programs. In law, malware is sometimes known as a computer contaminant, as in the legal codes of several U.S. states.[3][4] Malware is not the same as defective software, which is software that has a legitimate purpose but contains harmful bugs that were not corrected before release. However, some malware is disguised as genuine software, and may come from an official company website. An example of this is software used for harmless purposes that is packed with additional tracking software that gathers marketing statistics.
    Malware has caused the rise in use of protective software types such as anti virus, anti-malware, and firewalls. Each of these are commonly used by personal users and corporate networks in order to stop the unauthorized access by other computer users, as well as the automated spread of malicious scripts and software.
    Last edited by Gon Fishun; 12-01-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: More info

I have Avast anti virus -paid version, no problems here.

Dan

Gon Fishing, I haven't downloded any new software for nearly a year and what I have read so far on google doesn't make me feel any better about this new attack. strangely enough this evening I am not getting any alerts so I am tota lly confused now.

edit: oops, it's back

Yeah its doing it for me too, I have paid norton and use IE

Quote Originally Posted by Matt76 View Post
    It's quite possible for it to come through with Adobe flash player updates, java , etc. Norton will recognize it and block it. Make sure your Operating systems, browser, antivirus are up to date or get your IT mates to do it. Check if you have a malware program you can run to clean it up. the free program Malwarebytes used to do a good job, you could try that.
    Last edited by Gon Fishun; 12-01-2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt76 View Post
    I have never liked Norton. To me it was very bossy and took over control of my computer. I'am not a control freak, but i do like to control some things. With Internet Explorer I find it slow and vulnerable to attack. You would be better to use Google Chrome or Firefox. Both are good.
    I have used AVG for years but was talking to a ham radio Guru who fiddles in computers and he recommended Avast, so I went with that and it is a good program. I would put Avast first then AVG.

Gon Fishing,
    Looking to upgrading soon and will look at other options, I did use Google Chrome when it first came out but it caused me a few problems at the time (it was probably beta V2) so got rid of it, and looking at other forums that have had this problem so far it seems that this bit of malware is attached mostly attached to ads.

Also went back through my records and have found that I was mistaken and had downloaded 2 pieced of software about 6 months ago, Garmin and Homeport which I would presume to be OK.

I am still waiting on my nephew to get back to me however being in a remote area OS he is hard to get hold of.

Looks like it may be from one of the adverts, not Ausfish itself.

I dont see the adds though, so cant confirm.

I think you guys are getting what is called a false positive.

http://www.symantec.com/business/sup...&id=HOWTO27086

http://www.symantec.com/business/sup...&id=HOWTO27086

are you using symantec?

MRD, is this attack a "safe behaviour"

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    MRD, is this attack a "safe behaviour"
    What anti virus are you using?

Not sure really are you running as admin constantly or a user?

Its probably nothing but I can't say for sure.

Send the report to Lucky Phil, he can pass it on to server admin.

I mean the site may not be infected, as your computer may already have the malware and this site could have triggered it into some activity that the anti virus noticed.

It may not even be malware, software these days is so sneaky and intrusive it might just be normal inquiries.

At least run a cleaner on your computer.

Dan