Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exploit website toolkit 4 attack

Re: Exploit website toolkit 4 attack

Dan, I use Norton running as a user. lucky Phil has seen this post and I suspect it has been raised before and it is not relted to Ausfish site but the ads attached. Interestingly it hasn't reappeared now for today and yesterday afternoon.

I use Avira and haven't had a problem since installing it about three years ago. It was recommended in an extensive report I read on free anti viruses.

It is being looked into.

It seems very few people are having this issue.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Make sure you have your browser updated to the latest version and also install any updates to your operating system. You may also want to look at using any browser other than IE.

Thanks Phill, I always update my OS, and ensure that my AV is also up to date, changing browsers is not what I would consider a solution (also have to spend lots of time retraining the boss as she tends to right everything down otherwise it wont work). The attacks only occurred those first few days and has been absent since. I do have the option for several other AV software which I will consider using now that things have settled and check to see if there is anything on my system.

Dignity, you nephew is spot in that changing software is just a workaround that doesn't resolve an underlying issue.

I have been an IT professional for over 14 years and see this sort of thing all the time. It is a false positive, so nothing to worry about.

You should never run two anti-virus products on the one machine - they will fight with each other in the background and will actually reduce your security.

Avast and AVG are good products. If you don't want to pay for software, go with AVG Free Edition. If you do want to pay for software, my recommendation is Vipre Internet Security or Bitdefender Internet Security. I would steer away from Norton or Trend - they both have a high rate of false positives, but inviting in real infections.

If you think you may have an infection, download Malwarebytes Free (say no to the trial) and run a full scan. Once that is done, download Vipre Rescue and let is run a scan.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

http://live.vipreantivirus.com/

To be super thorough, you can install and run SpyBot 2 Free Edition (during the installation options, unselect the TeaTimer). You should also run the Immunize in this app - is will stop alot of the 'drive-by' and infections resulting from pop-ups.

http://www.safer-networking.org/mirrors/

All are free and will clean up 99% on anything that is there. If you still have issues after that, you likely have a bad rootkit infection and then you start getting into hefty utilities like ComboFix.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

This will wipe out most rootkits. Beyond that, you are generally into wipe and rebuild territory.

Ben.

morphias,
    There is a fair bit to digest (not IT savvy) and I will certainly try the majority of what you suggest as so far I can not get hold of my nephew, he works in some pretty wild countries where comms is almost zilch and as I just recently retired from work I don'y have the organistaion I used to have to support me (ther is an upside to working for a living). My Norton is due to expire in about 3 months time and I had considered changing to somehing like Avast, I am happy to pay as with some of the work I do online I sometime shudder at the thought of some one syphoning off the transactions, I quess I am old school and feel people should be paid for their efforts.

My enterprise system at work is picking it up

http://www.symantec.com/security_res...jsp?asid=25701

It is the ads. I remember trapping the code at work when I did get that far. Ads should not be calling potentially maliscious code via adobe routines. The code was trying to access client computer responses. That in itself isn't a huge deal as something like javascript is client side. But having the potential to remote control a computer via these calls is too much and something ads should not do.

I wont change what enterprise security systems I implement at work. If it is a falso positive then the owner of the ad company should contact symantec as it could be counter productive. And before you ask, I tried on different operating systems and browsers and it was the security software which picks this up.

Telling people to change operating systems, browsers and security software for this issue isnt the solution. The underlying issue needs to be solved, and this isnt necessarily the site admin's fault, more the ad company's potentially overactive routines to track client activity.

Raylamp, it is only some pages on this forum that causes the message to appear. If i had some basic IT ability I might be able to work out which ad it is but that is not the case. reading about this issue it has appeared on other forums and they have tracked down the ads and seem to have resolved the issue. From what I can gather I am getting a "false positive" which I have no idea what that means but am assured by many that it is not something to worry about, I still get that annoying message though.

Its Bullshit, ignore Norton and get avast premium or something with some integrity.
    Norton is notorious for its blatant marketing, making everyone think they have a virus.
    The net these days is unsafe so NEVER keep sensitive information on a computer connected to the internet, because believe me Norton will not find it, because real internet crims already know the insides out of Norton and other anti malware software.

Just look at some of the recent scams done down south on small business, those guys had full firewall and security, but it did not do shit, keep nothing of value or interest on any computer connected to the net.

Dan

no probs here i have kaspersky pure 2.0 (paid version) and use firefox as a browser and had no probes but does not mean i trust any antivirus but have had most antivirus programs over the years as said above by mudriverdan trust no av. but is better to have something than nothing

Actually after thinking about it and seeing some things on here I noticed the other day I got a rather intrusive Facebook message.
    So agreeing with RayLamp, it is most probably some kind of advert or toolbar addon.
    Your browser is your main interface with the internet and a lot of big companies these days still use software that is quite intrusive, I would not say virus but would probably be working to track you for marketing reasons.
    You can now imagine, with media and even recently newspapers going online there is a lot of competition on the internet.

This site is tracked by Facebook and Google, which is nothing really but they hold an interestingly large market and I think you will find that most sites you visit are tracked by Facebook and Google.

There is a FireFox add-on called ''Collusion'' that is interesting to see.

Dan

I use to run my own IT Security business and I can tell you by looking at that picture its to do with a script which would be in the ad scripts.
    It was made by a group of blackhat hackers. I would advise you to first clean all your temp internet files, cookies, temp files. I recommend this tool to everyone I give advice to
    Toolwiz Care its just a free tool that is a 1 click clean up of your system and has some extra advanced features for Security and cleanup/performance.

The other thing is it effects XML which I would guess the ad's are using xml to load as per the referring you to this site it may be trying to load a hidden backdoor script but
    your virus scanner is blocking the attack which is a good thing. This only effects IE as you can see in the picture it's stating that the attack is coming from IEXPLORE.EXE.

So all you need to do to fix the xml is read this and download the fixit tool that Microsoft has made for this xml vulnerability - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2719615

Hope you find this advice to what you need.. if you need anymore IT Security advice just hit me up

Quote Originally Posted by GreekBoi View Post
    I use to run my own IT Security business and I can tell you by looking at that picture its to do with a script which would be in the ad scripts.
    It was made by a group of blackhat hackers. I would advise you to first clean all your temp internet files, cookies, temp files. I recommend this tool to everyone I give advice to
    Toolwiz Care its just a free tool that is a 1 click clean up of your system and has some extra advanced features for Security and cleanup/performance.

The other thing is it effects XML which I would guess the ad's are using xml to load as per the referring you to this site it may be trying to load a hidden backdoor script but
    your virus scanner is blocking the attack which is a good thing. This only effects IE as you can see in the picture it's stating that the attack is coming from IEXPLORE.EXE.

So all you need to do to fix the xml is read this and download the fixit tool that Microsoft has made for this xml vulnerability - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2719615

Hope you find this advice to what you need.. if you need anymore IT Security advice just hit me up
    I would have to ask, if this has been around for at least 12 months wouldn't Microsoft have patched it through the automatic updates?

Dan

GreekBoi, I will certainly try your suggestions, thank you for your time and effort. I got a cryptic message from my nephew along similar lines but as he has limited coverage his messages are short hand and as I am of the older generation I struggle with understanding them.