Thread: Line choice for bottom fishing for reds..

Line choice for bottom fishing for reds..

Hi,

Just wondering what trace line and strength people are using for bottom fishing for reds like nannys, trout and RE and if you recommend it? Tried a few different types this last couple of years and not particularly wrapped with any of them yet.

Thanks.

Re: Line choice for bottom fishing for reds..

Hi Nicko,

I use a different set up for Trout as opposed to Reds. I have a standard rod/reel i use for all - basically a 4500J daiwa with 50lb braid (sometimes its a bit light...65lb better (when i upgrade to the stella this is what i'll use) - 80lb is nice when the reds are in some rougher country or the big trout have come in - (borrow Daintree Boys saltiga or back to the 80 lb handline........) with a double tied to a few metres of 80lb mono leader (black magic or whatever else is in the boat). Reel sits on a T-Curve Deep Jig 200.

For trout i run this straight through a running sinker to an 8/0 - 10/0. Which means i might have to retie the leader during the day depending on dust ups/sharks etc - but usually i don't have too much drama - just check for frays ever so often (and definitely every trout) - but only need to retie the hook every so often .

For reds i will run a paternoster dropper off the bottom of the "leader" (use a swivel) - saves me having to retie the leader all the time when sharks hit or i get dusted - just redo the dropper - I use either 80lb black magic leader or 120lb jinkai for the dropper - depending if i'm running a multiple hook paternoster or not.

Probably more detail than what you were asking - but hope that paints the picture anyhow.

Cheers Moffy.

schnider 80lb

steve

Nah that's gold thanks Moffy. Daintreeboy recommended Black Magic too, so I'll give that a crack sometime. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Moffy View Post
    Hi Nicko,

I use a different set up for Trout as opposed to Reds. I have a standard rod/reel i use for all - basically a 4500J daiwa with 50lb braid (sometimes its a bit light...65lb better (when i upgrade to the stella this is what i'll use) - 80lb is nice when the reds are in some rougher country or the big trout have come in - (borrow Daintree Boys saltiga or back to the 80 lb handline........) with a double tied to a few metres of 80lb mono leader (black magic or whatever else is in the boat). Reel sits on a T-Curve Deep Jig 200.

For trout i run this straight through a running sinker to an 8/0 - 10/0. Which means i might have to retie the leader during the day depending on dust ups/sharks etc - but usually i don't have too much drama - just check for frays ever so often (and definitely every trout) - but only need to retie the hook every so often .

For reds i will run a paternoster dropper off the bottom of the "leader" (use a swivel) - saves me having to retie the leader all the time when sharks hit or i get dusted - just redo the dropper - I use either 80lb black magic leader or 120lb jinkai for the dropper - depending if i'm running a multiple hook paternoster or not.

Probably more detail than what you were asking - but hope that paints the picture anyhow.

Cheers Moffy.