Thread: The Marlin Hunt Continues.....

The Marlin Hunt Continues.....

Headed out yesterday with Madmackrel on board as my usual deckie couldn't get his missus to sign his permission slip.... Was good to have the ol' mentor on board as I was keen to land my first Marlin! Met Humdinger and Shy Guys at the servo. Hit the water about 4am for a rough trip across the bay. Had to back off the throttle a bit as Perrys old body couldn't handle the power of the Suzuki..... Limited success chasing livies as we could only find the little fellas on the beacons.

Listened to the weather reports around the Cape and decided to poke our nose round the point to be greeted by a huge swell and sloppy conditions. Humdinger and myself decided to wait it out and fish the Bulwer drop off while the Shy Guys charged on ahead. Thanks to the few small livies and the tunafillet kindly donated by Brett we managed an undersized Maori Cod before deciding to head back around the Cape. Bit rough between Comby and the Western Banks but outside things had smoothed out and we were greeted by big smooth rolling swells. Met Dick Tracey off the Cape and trolled for a few hours around some bait schools for 3-0-0..... Well done to Dick and his deckie Dean on their nice blacks!!! Pushed put to Hutchies for a quick troll where Shy Guys had picked up a big Wahoo. Pulled the pin and headed home where on the way we lost a 1.2 m kingy next to the boat (and also nearly lost a 1.8m Caucasian) but that is another story..... Thanks to Perry and the guys on the other boats for a nice day out albeit no fish..... 3 trips chasing and no blacks yet! Marlin 3 Hookworm nil. But we ain't licked yet.....

Re: The Marlin Hunt Continues.....

I know Grazza! My time will come.... I am not a broken man..... Yet. Haha now I know how Perry felt when everyone else caught a Spaniard!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HookWorm View Post
    Haha now I know how Perry felt when everyone else caught a Spaniard!!!
    I know that feeling as well mate...

..... 3 trips chasing and no blacks yet! Marlin 3 Hookworm nil. But we ain't licked yet.....
    know that feeling only too well ... then out of the blue it happens ... keep up the good work & fingers crossed for you
    Mal

Cheers Mal. Only a matter of time mate.....

Good to catch up out there. We only got one strike for the day and could not pin it properly. They will be here for a while so you should not have too much trouble crossing swords with one in the near future
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Good to catch up out there. We only got one strike for the day and could not pin it properly. They will be here for a while so you should not have too much trouble crossing swords with one in the near future
    G'day Horse good to see you again too mate! Yeah hopefully they will stick around long enough for me to land one. Let's hope the weather is kind to me..... And my boss haha. Give us a shout if you ever want to tag along mate! Always lookin for a good deckie!

Nice report Hook Worm my son and I had never been to Hutchies until a couple of weeks ago, my son and I set off on our trip from Bribie armed with our new boat and lowrance 10x new lures and not much else but a hunch, three or four hours in Mat got smashed on a trolled lure by a black.It was jumping out of the water several times he was stoked, we lost it at the back of the boat but the look on his face said enough, we got to come back here again he says this is unreal.

Good stuff Secret!
    Many people will go their entire catch and never even see a fish like that let alone hook up.
    Sounds like your boy may be hooked now mate!

G'day Horse good to see you again too mate! Yeah hopefully they will stick around long enough for me to land one. Let's hope the weather is kind to me..... And my boss haha. Give us a shout if you ever want to tag along mate! Always lookin for a good deckie!
    I'm up for a trip anytime you need a spare pair of hands. Give me a call next time you have a vacancy. The Billies are still heading South from Hervey Bay so we still have plenty of time to chase them
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Cheers Mal. Only a matter of time mate.....
    Hey mate don't beat yourself up I have been trolling for 2 weeks now "3 trips" to land those fish
    Maybe its the Old Walrus rattling in the boat that scares them ?

Bad luck on dropping a cracker Kingy beside the boat mate
    Dick

great to catch up out there dave
    hope we all have better luck next time

Some good looking weather coming our way Dave. Maybe get another crack at them this weekend.

Thanks Macca! Away with work at the moment bit hoping I might be able to get home for the weekend! If I do, it's on like Donkey Kong!