Thread: Advice for a relative Newbie

Advice for a relative Newbie

Hi All,

A few years back (hmmm maybe more than that) I rebuilt an old synderglas white tip and a Wilson Live fibre rod which had some broken guides and went on the replace the handles with a cork leather combo that I loved.

Unfortunately, Bundy rum rage (not mine) claimed these rods a few years back and I am hunting replacements that I'll build myself.

I want two rods. Something 11 footish and whippy for light surf and chasing bream around snags in rivers and a big 13'6 surf rod for general surf and Tailor.

Can anyone fill me in on the current favourites as far as blanks, guides e.t.c?

Re: Advice for a relative Newbie

Hi Skulljug,

I just finished surf rod for a customer not long ago and used CTS blanks and a combination of double and single foot guides.
    Only problem with the CTS blanks is the weight compared to the Japanese blanks however, the strength and performance are brilliant.
    If you want a light and flexible blank go for the Compound Motion model and something a little more powerful, then go for the BayCaster or S8 Surf.

For a customer? Where do you work? or are you a solo builder?

Can't find a lot of info on the CTS blanks - or an aussie seller!

I just found out that Wilson are now producing snyder glas blanks, I REALLY liked my old one. Are these the same blanks?

How do they compare to the more modern blanks?

SkullJug,

Yeah I'm a solo builder and yes the rod I built was for a customer.
    You can buy CTS blanks directly from the CTS website; ctsfishing.com
    I've never used Snyder Glass blanks so I can't really give you much of a comment there.