Thread: 12 volt inverter

12 volt inverter

hi all.. just got back from an awesome camping trip at lake moogerah.. My cigarette lighter in my car buggered up and i couldnt charge a few bits and pieces.. I saw one guy with a charger running off his car battery and he was charging stuff by using a normal 240v connection..
    After having a bit of a look around im a bit confussed as to what would be the best way to go.. If anyone has or uses one what would you recomend??
    Cheers in dvance.
    Nath
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Re: 12 volt inverter

I have an Invertor. It works well for charging laptops, phones, cameras etc.......... mine plugs into ciggie lighter socket. Haven't tried it on a any REAL 240V stuff.

Here's a bit of a guide.

http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/index.php?id=40

I paid about $180.00 for mine.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I reckon, for camping, try to be 12v dependent. You will deal with most things and it's more portable than carrying clunky 240v gear around. It's also going to give less of a jolt if you have any electrical problems. With 12v you can also go to solar at a later stage if you wish to.

I have a 750W inverter for peace of mind but rarely used it and only on small appliances such as hair clippers or lights. I connect it through an Anderson plug and have a dual battery set up in my vehicle. You can get power packs from alot of auto shops which will do a similar thing for short trips. I recharge all my batteries through 12v (which is also what USB appliances use).

You shouldn't use inverters while driving although I have heard of people doing so.

ok cool thanks guys.. the inverter i saw had two leads just like a jumper cable that were connected directly to the car battery the inverter had a standard 240volt plug and he ran that to a surge board.. the idea was to skip the cigarette lighter socket and use the battery direct to play a ipod dock or charge other camp lights and bed pumps etc without having to buy tons and tons of batteries all the time

USB stuff is all 5 volt. It is usually 1amp or less I think. That is why so much stuff charging off USB charges so slowly and some things can't keep up with only USB input when in use ( especially cheaper junky electronics)

I have "beer can " inverter - fits in a cup holder - a low watt cheapo and it charges via charger my rechargable batteries for torches etc and has been used for portable drill batterys etc when down the paddock and not a big enough job to take a gennie or on the moored boat. I don't care that my beer can is average effeciency etc as it is used so little but is convenient.

They are great stuff and much safer for modern electronics than an old style generator. I used a little 150W cigarette lighter job for a while vbut now use one of these puppies

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pure-Sine...item3cbeeb9c88
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Horse... your a legend.. thats the one i was after