Thread: Roller tips... F'n roller tips.

Roller tips... F'n roller tips.

G'day

Well, after doing a bit of trolling for pelagics these last few weeks, I got the first black to my new boat. Very exciting stuff.

However, upon the strike, the line went SNAP! Why? the line had worked itself into the tiny gap between the roller and the inside edge of the roller bracket. I wasn't particularly happy...

This is the second time I've encountered this with these rods (Shimano backbone elite).

The rod was sitting in a "t" style holder that drops into the gunnel mount rod holder, sitting the rod at 90 deg to the boat and parallel to the water to provide spread, not unlike mini outriggers.

Question is, is this typical of roller tips or is it a quality and tolerance issue of the roller tip itself?

Dave.
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

Re: Roller tips... F'n roller tips.

I'd get a silicon carbide guide put on.. imo you only need rollers on heavy tackle... the latest fuji guides on light tackle are brilliant. I had the same rod and had the roller removed. (maintanance is a pain too)

G'day

Yep... am thinking the same.... FYI they're TLD 20's matched to 10kg pre test.

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING

that is pretty common on cheap tips (don't know what type Shimano use) and lighter line! the clearance is just too big for anything under around 10KG

Yep,thats what i did on same rods - pissed the rollers off and replaced with a decent quality sic tip. Job done.

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

G'day

Ok.. scond question, is it a simple job to do myself? Hot glue etc. or do I have to use bindings that are on there now? I want a good job on it, or is it easier to send in to the rod repair guy?

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING

You can remove the roller tip carefully with heat, get a tight fitting silicon carbide tip to suit the diameter of the tip, and glue on with 5 minute araldite. There are no bindings involved with holding tips on, just for looks, but the existing binding on the rod may not match up with the end of the new tip.

Curious about if you had your reel sitting on top or towards the bow of your boat?? If it is sitting on top whilst in that outrigger rod holder, the line will not be running in the roller but on the frame as you troll.
    I think you would have had the rod in the correct position but your symptom is classic of it not being correct.
    Sic guides are the go for tips anyway.
    Jack.

G'day

Rod was setup correctly in the rigger holder (reel facing towards bow, handle below or on top pending the side it was in)

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING

Yer roller tips no good keep trying to tell Bret he has lost a couple good fish due to roller tips no need for them in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by shy guys View Post
    Yer roller tips no good keep trying to tell Bret he has lost a couple good fish due to roller tips no need for them in my opinion
    nothing wrong with roller tips i lost 1 black on the roller and it wasn't the rollers fault
    all my rods full roller except 2 that i have never used