Thread: impoundment fishing how to dvd

impoundment fishing how to dvd

hey all im going to start going up to tinaroo dam with the family alot more so i was wondering if there is a good dvd to watch on how to fish impoundments for barra,ive done very little fishing in dams so i want to learn as much as i can so when im up there i might have a chance at a barra or two,so if there is a dvd out there worth watching let me know,and if you have one and dont need it any more ill buy it
    cheers marty

Re: impoundment fishing how to dvd

Fishing Lake Monduran by Johnny Mitchell. 30 bucks from any decent tackle outlet. Sorry mate I'll be holding onto mine.

Scott

I'm yet to see a really good "how to" dvd on impoundment barra fishing ..... specially for novices , but there are several noteworthy ones that have been put out which you can get an idea of what needs to be done .
    Jack Leightons "Happiness is ... Big Tinaroo Barra" is area specific. Johnny Mitchells "Fish Awoonga" & "Lake Monduran - An Aussie Adventure are worth a look . BCF Fishin Tips Vol 2 "Awoonga to Weipa" is more basic but OK with Johnny Mitchells involvement. These you need to watch carefully and listen to pick up what you need to do (better for the experienced impoundment angler).

Personally IMO the best stuff has been put out as various episodes on the Fishing DVD series with the pick being Vol#6 "Impoundment barra on squidgees" . Vol#4 "Lure casting for impoundment barra" Vol#14 Stealth in the sicks at Monduran ....... These short 15 min segments offer up a lot of good information .

Finally - unless you have a lot of time and patience to read , watch and fish ......... Hiring a guide will give you a big kickalong and is money well spent.

Good luck with Tinaroo ..... It's a great place to fish

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Try your local library, they have all sorts of DVD's now.

You just need something in the 6 to 8kg range, a reel to match it, 40 or 50lb braid and ask for the gun lures at the local tackle shop before each trip.

your right NAGG a guide would be the go,i just looked one up and he was $600 for a day,and i havent got that type of money.
    is there anyone out there that knows of guides on tinaroo??

cheers marty

I think that would be the average guiding price , you could do 1/2 a day $350

Would be big bonus to pick up fishing points and tactic's from the guide how to fish the lake

A friend of mine was visiting and staying there , he doesn't even really fish
    and he nailed a big one from the shore , i have done the same at Awoonga

Good luck

Mate a guide is a good start but I'm like you and can't afford $600 sorry but that is alot of money and no gaurantee of a fish. Tinaroo is a frustrating place I have only just moved back to cairns and after 3 no fish trips i found a few and was catching four a trip for 4 trips now they have moved and i havent been able to get one for the last 3 trips. Mate you just have to keep at it keep a diary with all the info you can get, tide moon wind temps etc and soon you will start to see trends. Hope this helps
    cheers shayne

Impoundment barra offer some unique challenges & many an angler has spent days & into week/s without turning a reel - Even switched on anglers can take a day or two to suss things out (even on familiar turf) . Yes $600 is a hell of a lot of money but even a half day charter will offer up a world of information that can mean the difference between catching fish & not ........... but you have to be able to afford it.
    Other than that , read up on the subject , get hold of the DVDs , talk to others ...... go back into the Ausfish archives (fresh water) for say 2007-2010 there was plenty written on the subject prior to the floods

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

yeah thanks guys ive been doing a bit of reseach,will do more and more,and im going to get a dvd and have a look,and take it from there