Thread: 1st time offshore in the tinny

1st time offshore in the tinny

Hi guys, was thinking about taking my tinny offshore for the first time and was in need of some advice. I live at Redland bay but I was goin to venture down and head out through the Gold Coast seaway. If anyone is experienced with this area and willing to share a bit of knowledge it would be much appreciated. Any close GPS marks would be of great help too. Cheers

Re: 1st time offshore in the tinny

There is supposed to be some decent swell start rolling through from that cyclone moving into the Coral Sea. I'm not that experienced with the area, but keep it in mind.

When you head out stick to the right of the channel then hook a left and head up to the fads. They aren't too far up and you can't miss them as they are fairly close in. Haven't fished there yet as I only found them on Friday when I went out to catch a marlin. Also wait for the swell to calm down a bit. If you hook a right out of the seaway you'll see where everyone is catching bait. I hope this makes sense... I've had a few 5 seeds.

Keep an eye on the swell mate as others have said. The seaway can get pretty nasty in an easterly swell especially on a run out tide. Also be careful when heading left out of the seaway you may need to go out a fair way first before turning as there is a bank on the northern side. The swell is picking up check the link attached.

http://www.coastwatch.com.au/Weather.../#PointLookout

As stated allready, wait a bit, then hook a left out of the Seaway.

I wouldn't be trying it in a tinny for the next few days though...
    2.5-3m waves coming in unfortunately, but no/very little wind Tuesday.
    Might do to stick inside the Broadwater this time.
    Don.
    "Magpie Navy." VHF 73.

It was a Woman who drove me to Drink......
    ....and I never gave her money for the Petrol......