Thread: Red Claw About?

Red Claw About?

with the current forecast looking pretty miserable, im thinking it may be time to hit the dam and chase some claw. Bit of rain about at the moment should stir things up a bit. IS anybody finding any reasonable numbers land based out of NPD? i usually try around the Forgan Cove area. Or, should i drag the boat to somerset?
    cheers
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Re: Red Claw About?

Hi Dean,
    I dont know the area your talking about (Forgan Cove), but I would properly be giving Somerset dam a go.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

At Somerset they are in good numbers,we caught 250 good size over 3 nights with 8 pots
    around 3 metres,rockmelon and soap

thanks oldsalt do you have to travel far from the ramps? are they mainly being caught through the night?
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

You will only get good size and numbers after an overnight soak, no you don't have to travel far from the ramps. Set between 3.0 and 8.0mtrs and you won't be disapointed. Decent size but the numbers are down on last year

i've struggled the last couple of trips, sometimes none during the day at all. and overnight hit and miss, some pots loaded and other untouched. it's not like a few years ago when you could do a day trip was all you needed to get 150 or so.

I mostly go between the spilt and holiday park, has anyone had success going far north of the holiday park?

Its getting harder to get a good haul like last year for sure. Hit and miss may the best way to discribe a full pot or bugger all regardless of an overnight soak or otherwise. I don't think there would be anywhere that hasn't been hammered by the pots or that would be virtually untouched. I think we all dream of hitting a honey hole and pulling a pot of monsters everytime we reach a float but alas it is not to be. That being said however I have enjoyed very good sized units this season so far and have seen the better numbers coming from closer to the Spit boat ramp.

Me mate was telling me there is alot of pot pulling going on so that also can add to the limite of numbers. He was telling me the boys rang the rangers and pointed him to this Asian in his boat. The Rangers searched it and come up with nothing then they checked his Anchore and the slime had all different people pots all the way up along his anchore rope. What a peice of shit

I was up there early last year paying for camping in the shop and I asked the lady if there had been much pot lifting going on. She tells me that they got several complaints from campers about a couple of blokes caught red handed lifting and messing with other peoples pots. The blokes we're also staying in the park so she got all there details, rego, boat details and called the fisheries and police but didn't really think they were going to do much about it.

I know the Asian bloke you mention, he fills the boat and sells the redclaw as prawns in his takeaway shop! Yep have had the pot lifters mess with my gear plenty of times too, thats why I set last thing in the evening and am first on the water the next day, somehow the odd one still gets pulled which tells me that these people are on the water outside the designated hours. I have had them dragged onto the banks too which is a mystery?

Someone might have walked the shore and swam out to your float if they end up on the bank?