Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting in the time, Cairns and Port Douglas.

Putting in the time, Cairns and Port Douglas.

This is a shout out to anyone else that is putting in the time at the moment, hoping for future rewards.

Probably the best fisho I know told me that there was no secret to his success, he just put in a lot of time searching for new ground, so last trip I bit the bullet and did about eight hours of trolling around watching the sounder, with a few moves here and there where I thought good structure might lay. I could have gone to a couple mack spots and got some okay reds, but the time has come to find the monsters..

Having him as a deckie is a real bonus as he doesn’t get bored and if anything he keeps me positive. Each new bommie, bit of rubble or wonky is a lucky-dip and I’m waiting until I start seeing really big reds, we’ve got some good ones so far but the quest continues… we’ll get there soon enough.

One positive of having searching days is that you cover far more ground than you normally would, so one of those days probably equates to a lot of normal fishing days where you check out the odd spot but have an agenda of usual spots too.

Anyway, end of rant and happy hunting.
    Nicko.

Re: Putting in the time, Cairns and Port Douglas.

Nicko a mate has some bathimetric images, I'll hit him up for them as they may help. We have eyed a few spots off based on them but are yet to put the time in ourselves.

Judging by your results Mark you've put in some serious time over the years! Cheers mate PM sent.

A definite pattern is emerging in most areas where the guys that put in the hard yards are getting their just rewards
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Thats no 'rant', great post. My fishing is similar at the moment. I sacrifice time in sure fire spots to troll or just search an area watching the sounder. I generally do this between 11am and mid afternoon when things slow down. You're lucky to have a fishing mate like that, I do this solo rather than torture an unwilling accomplice. For me its about the hunt, the fight is becomming a minor inconvenience these days. I'm yet to boat a monster red.... and its feeding the addiction!

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    A definite pattern is emerging in most areas where the guys that put in the hard yards are getting their just rewards
    My son had not caught a keeper barra in his life and this past year he came on a trip,to the Gulf of Carpentaria. Before hand he read, researched, and bought good quality tackle, plastics, and hardbodies, and out fished the whole team of twelve, catching 19 keeper and the most barra for the trip. So I agree. Now he's catching coral trout and reef jacks on plastics! He has researched his fishing so much in the past twelve months to become a great fisho. Hard work researching always pays off
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Thanks guys, some inspiring stuff.. I'm sure the rewards will come..

and starting to get some results, here's some non-flowing wonkys that should fire in the wet season.. wonkys are the holes on the right hand side of the pic.Attachment 87554

Hi nicks I need some mates like that....

yeah they don't grow on trees.

also having a speculator rig is handy, one rod rigged up that gets dropped down on each likely looking spot to see what's there, i've just been having a few drifts on likely spots to see what i can bring up, i'll go back to them another time to try for a longer session if the structure etc is nice and some fish are home, if it's good structure but no fish i'll head back another time to see if any fish have showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    and starting to get some results, here's some non-flowing wonkys that should fire in the wet season.. wonkys are the holes on the right hand side of the pic.Attachment 87554
    Nicko can't open that attachment?
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

hmm not sure how i stuffed it up mate, i'll try to post it again..

Attachment 87699

let me know if you can see it now odes, otherwise dunno what i've done wrong?!?

hmm it posted fine to this forum: http://http://www.ausfish.com.au/vfo...ounder+reading

so maybe just check it out there, unsure why it won't post properly here..

its still not working nicko?????