Thread: bar crossing help

bar crossing help

Hi
    Haven't been through the south passage bar before and was wondering if anyone can passage me through there tommorow morning early (4-30/5am)
    I am a very capable boat operator but i thought knowledge of a bar crossing is a lot better than going through "green"
    Let us know
    Darren (zorro)

Re: bar crossing help

I would be using the Northern Channel tomorrow but you will find it average conditions with a 2m Easterly swell, the run accross the shingles will be average too. I wont be out there but if you should see someone heading out. Someone on here should be able to shoot you some marks if your capable and experienced, the Northern channel is consistent.
    For an alternative I would be heading off further North and sneaking over top of Moreton if you dont get any responses on here. Or if your trying to get to Point Lookout for the blacks head up from Southport.
    Living the dream, Barry

Thanks Seaweed - i live in Scarborough so will be coming out of there and own a Markham twin hull. I wanted to focus on the blacks so i thought coming through the rous channel passage was my best bet. Might be keeping it safe until i get an offer on a more suitable swell and look to go work the trench further up our way.
    If anyone have the marks to come out of the channel would be much appreciated

Stay the top of the bay and hit east of the cape or hutchies. I was out from pt lookout today and there was a lot of promising chatter from the north.

will be heading out the northern channel about 4.30/5.00 if you want to follow 7m plate boat call sign pinch & roll on 21 (sorry about the late reply)

Be very careful. We went through it on Friday and it was very messy. It is breaking on the outer and inner banks at the moment and that was on the northern channel. We also heard on the radio that a boat got into big strife on the bar with the dive boat calling the coastguard on their behalf. I wouldn't want to be learning the bar under these conditions.

thanks for the offer bama put after a bit of advice from others i'm going to hit the northern waters - will give u a call on 21 anyhow mate to see how your going
    lets hope that chatter is coming from my boat tommorow to chris_s

thanks ultimate - i bailed out mate - look to another day soon - let us know if your heading back and see if i can tag along

Quote Originally Posted by zorro1 View Post
    Hi
    Haven't been through the south passage bar before and was wondering if anyone can passage me through there tommorow morning early (4-30/5am)
    I am a very capable boat operator but i thought knowledge of a bar crossing is a lot better than going through "green"
    Let us know
    Darren (zorro)
    Darren,

Yesterday was not the day to take someone new through the bar, it was playing up a treat as we went through, we saw a signature 492f (I think) turn back. There were a number of waves breaking across the first 30% of the northern channel and you had to pick you way through them, the last 30% of the bar (the outer bank) had a number of stand up waves although not breaking, and all of this still on a rising tide.

Best money I ever spent on my boat was Bill Cortens Course bar crossing course.

Regards
    HOnda.