Thread: Live Bait Drum

Live Bait Drum

About 3-4 years ago i made a live bait tank, for the boat, out of a 20lt plastic drum with a sealed screw lid. I was out during the week. lent on the drum & put my finger through it. It is a translucent plastic that obviously isn't uv treated.
    Can anyone tell me if there is a drum in the 20 - 30lt range that will stand up better. Does the colour of the plastic make a differance. The boat is undercover when stored.
    Thanks in advance.

Jerson.

Re: Live Bait Drum

Black or any Poly should be the go, like they make rainwater tanks out of and a 1000 other things. There are drainage pits and things at the local plumbing shop made from it that should be durable and uv resistant.

I get about 4-5 years out of a galv chain drum from the hardware, they usually sell them for a few bucks or give them away to regulars. Good screw top and well suited as a livie tank.
    Jack.

Made one out of a heavy duty white plastic/poly 20 litre drum (think it was a detergent drum - truck wash or something) back when I was at uni and its still going strong - use it every creek fishing trip.

Given I started uni in 1991 I reckon its not doing too bad!!!

I have one already fitted with attachments to give to you, if you want it.

I live sth Brisbane region.

cheers LP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

To prolong the life of the drum you can give it a coat of paint. Blocks the uv.
    No such thing as a fat alcoholic, just fat piss pots...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    I have one already fitted with attachments to give to you, if you want it.

cheers LP
    Thanks for the offer Phill. That is the same drum as i'm using now.

I have been using a 60L home brew barrel for the last 5 years, and it has been sitting on the deck of my boat for the last 20 months solid, not showing any signs of deterioration so far.
    Maybe it just depends on the type of plastic used.

Cheers,
    Myles
    "Elempi" American Bertram 33, 3208T Caterpillar power

Hi,
    Just noticed this post. You need a UV stabilised drum. Most are in an olive green colour and they are, as far as I've seen, in 60L sizes.
    They will stay strong.
    I can tell you where to get them.
    Colin