Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6-5-3 solo at the Cape

6-5-3 solo at the Cape

I will let the pictures tell the story
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bait 2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	87346   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bait 1.jpg 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	87347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin 1.jpg 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	87348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin 2.jpg 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	87349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin 3.jpg 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	87350  

"The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Well done mate, thats a solid effort solo

Re: 6-5-3 solo at the Cape

Well done Jeremy. Solid effort solo. Good to see the pics in the water rather than dragging them out. We need to look after them as much as possible.

Cheers

Greg

Hi Jeramy. Was out at the cape with a mate today and we were not so fortunate. Went 6.0.0. Luckily i had the young 12 year old with us and he scored a 55cm pearlie when we had a break from the towing. An incredible day on the water and well done. Which boat were you in? we were in the cruise craft outsider with the outriggers.

Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
    Well done Jeremy. Solid effort solo. Good to see the pics in the water rather than dragging them out. We need to look after them as much as possible.

Cheers

Greg
    Totally agree, no point killing a fish just for a photo

Quote Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
    Hi Jeramy. Was out at the cape with a mate today and we were not so fortunate. Went 6.0.0. Luckily i had the young 12 year old with us and he scored a 55cm pearlie when we had a break from the towing. An incredible day on the water and well done. Which boat were you in? we were in the cruise craft outsider with the outriggers.

Russell
    Ripper pearlie. I was in the little orange/white haines. There were about 6 flybridge game boats and another 6 trailer boats in the area I was working. I was 5-4-3 at 9 am, so most of the action for me was early.

You got off to a good start at 2-2-2! Pretty good conversion rate compared to others considering you were solo.

Well done Jeremy. Great conversion rate.
    What set up are you using. How many rods and any teasers? What's your game plan after hook-up?
    Brett

I ran two lines - 8 and 10 kg most of the day - and added a third shotgun later in the day when it was slow. I troll at mostly 7 knots and when I get a hookup I keep it going for a couple of seconds and then back off to 3-4 knots while I clear the other lines. Don't use a teaser so don't have to worry about that. Once the other lines are cleared, pick up the rod, back if off to 2 knots and maybe turn around to get some line back if the fish is a long way out.

I rig my lures with 2 x SL12s on wire and the leader of 120 lb mono.

I doubt I am doing anything different to most people. Just got lucky I think.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 21-12-2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Top solo effort mate.

pic of setup. Does help put the lures in clearer water.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	setup.jpg 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	87353  
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Well done Jeremy,

We were also out there this morning, in a 6.2m sportfish centrecab. We went 7-1-0 though, had the young bloke on board so stopped and dropped some baits on the massive bait balls and let him catch some of the undersized feeding on the scraps below, he did well landing a 50cm green job fish.

RussB we crossed the inner freeman with you when they were standing up pretty bad.

Good day all in all even if we didn't get any to the boat.

fez

Nice work mate great effort.

Its nice when everything falls into place. Great conversion rate especially on a solo run
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Hi Jeremy.

Yep saw you out there today. We went past you in front of the cape after lunch (not sure of the exact time). We also had all our hits early but at the south eastern end of Hutchies before 9am. We were using skirts similar in colour and size that you have in your great photo shots with most of the hits on dark purple.
    I also have a Haines but a V17L with an alloy pod on the back and therefore noticed you when u passed us. What model haines do you have? I didn't think it was a 17 footer.
    Fez if that was you crossing the inner Freeman you might have seen us take a good size wave over the top at Combie. Skipper was a little close to the beach and a nasty wave stood up in front of us wetting those at the back of the boat howevet the cruise craft was more than capable of handling that.
    All up it was hard listening to the radio chatter with so many blacks being caught and rreleased but great to hear so many were caught and released.
    Good luck and good fishing
    Russell