Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My first proper spin reel

Re: My first proper spin reel

There is one of those high speed shimanos on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHIMANO-T...item4d08ec4ef2

$240.00 or nearest offer, they must be ok to be asking that for an old reel.
    Probably get it for $200.00

Nice reel classic look, made in japan, heavy duty gear, waterproof drag, I would snap it up if I was cashed up, but I'm not

Dan

I have a Penn Applause 8000 thats around 20 months old and worn out 2 Handles on it. Funny story, I went to Goanna headland fishing a while back and theres a walking track there. At that stage I was getting quotes on a new handle for my Applause 8000 as it was getting too wobbly.
    As I was walking towards the carpark theres a wooden post and on top of that post was sitting an almost brand new Penn applause handle. Excellent!! Worn that one out too. might have to to back for another walk there

I digress, What I was going to say was that I bought an 040 Pfleuger Salt and yes I know its a Penn, or vice versa. Anyway it has not had much heavy use but its holding together ok, feels solid still and no rusting hardware, so far.
    Use it on my yak, boat and off bridges ,walls etc so it gets wet with saltwater often.
    Hate it when the "Stainless steel" bearings seize up with rust.
    Cheers.

How is the pfleuger salt holding out now Walruslike and rabbi?

Hi Spiderpig,
    I reckon they made a mistake when they called it a Pfleuger Salt, Shoulda called it the Pfleuger Rust..
    Service it often but theres always rust in the mainshaft brg,pinion bearings and bail roller bearing.
    Used it 20-30 times and the bearings now all need replacing.. very smooth when new but not so now..
    The rest of the internals seem ok but its a bit of a mudguard..shiny n pretty on the outside but s**t on the inside. Not good enough for a $125 reel.. wont be buying another one...
    Worth spending not that much extra and getting a Penn SSV reel which I did. Different class of reel altogether..
    cheers,steve.

Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    Hi Steve,got a question for you
    In that " Extreme Jewie fishing" clip what rods were you or the other guys using .
    Also the rating in mono and cast weight
    Thanks
    Sorry Spears,I only just came back here for a look and found I didnt answer yr question.
    For the heavy work like in that clip I was using a Wilson Mulloway rod rated at around 15-25kg with a fast taper. Line is Shimano power pro 50lb braid and casting weight is 65grams with those jigheads but I have cast over 120gms without a problem.
    My current rod is a 10-15kg penn prevail with a Penn SSV6500 loaded with 30lb Shimano Power Pro and it is a gun outfit.
    Lighter,stronger,faster as they say. The Penn SSV has had a lot of work and is a beaut reel so far.. And as a lot of people who know me and my reel habits would say that for me to say its a beaut reel is well up there...
    cheers,steve.

Hi Steve ..yeah got all that info from your PM.

Anyway here is a interesting test
    http://www.spinningreel-field-testing.blogspot.it/

Remembering that Battle reel and Salt are the same reel

V series Spinfisher would be my choice. I only have the 3500 but love it.

If you want bang for your buck there is no better than shimano I have a symeter 2500 awesome reel for the price and a 10 year warranty. 3 years ago could not bring myself to spend more than $100 on a rod and reel combo now I allow $ 150 -250 for very good reel and $100 -200 for a rod and the quality difference is amazing and it will last 20 years if you maintain it reasonably everything will last if you look after it I'm not bias to shimano but the do built quality for the aloted price
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    If you want bang for your buck there is no better than shimano I have a symeter 2500 awesome reel for the price and a 10 year warranty. 3 years ago could not bring myself to spend more than $100 on a rod and reel combo now I allow $ 150 -250 for very good reel and $100 -200 for a rod and the quality difference is amazing and it will last 20 years if you maintain it reasonably everything will last if you look after it I'm not bias to shimano but the do built quality for the aloted price
    Sounds like you have the symetre FJ the previous model.If you compare it to the FL current model then there is no comparison.The latest one's are just junk and won't last long.
    Was going to buy one until i picked it up and seen what sloppy bearings they have in the handle and rotor.

I recently spent $290 on a Daiwa Caldia 4000 and that too was a disappointment,should be able to get a better reel for the dollar but the two big boys shimano and diawa seem to have lost their way in supplying sub standard reels below $400.
    No one seems to make any decent reels these days unless you spend big bucks

I got a Shimano Saragossa 4000 just on 3 years ago.

Its loaded with 20lb braid. Its currently on a Shimano Jewel 6-8kg spin rod, 2 piece, 7ft and a bit long.

I use it as my medium offshore Soft Plastic combo.

So far its accounted for an 11.0kg snapper caught at Evans Head, and a 22kg spanish mackerel (yes thats right, 22kg) that i hooked in the lip on a TT jighead and berkley 7" SP at Rainbow Beach.

In between that, numerous other snapper of all sizes, quite a few 4-6kg models, grassies, the occasional mixed reef fish, some coral trout and a few legal sized jew.

I have done nothing other than wash it down after each trip.

It has one of the nicest out of the box drags I have used. Still as smooth as, after some very thorough workouts, as indicated by the fish mentioned earlier.

i would have another one in the blink of an eye.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I have the fl model and have no play at all i also have a rarenium c3000 ,okuma Salina 2 5000 and 10000,okuma trio 1000, shimano bait runner oc 8000-12000 ,sustain 5000 Stella 4000 last model ,Stella 6000 new model Stradic 5000 fj saragosa 1800f. Diawa ballistic 4000 Stella 8000 last model .

I have tried the diawa's and for the money you spend and the warranty you get with it it's pathetic as people rely on this stuff. the caldia when I tried it at the tackle shop felt like it was plastic would have been scared to catch anything on it.

The Salina,s are bulletproof for $200 nothing better in the range and the sustain gets way more use than the 4000 Stella ( less than half the price)as it feels more sensitive on plastics. brought my brother in law a Abu and its already stuffed after 2 years use and he washed it down every time he used it

the thing is if you buy anything other than the two big boy's you can buy the top of the line for $300 other than for heavy duty stuff. Then you want to have the good gear IMO

just my point of view cheers

Sorry walruslike did not mean to hijack your post I hope what ever you brought suits you personally and almost any 4000 size reels will catch you your PB snappa
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    Sorry walruslike did not mean to hijack your post I hope what ever you brought suits you personally and almost any 4000 size reels will catch you your PB snappa
    cheers
    He bought the Pflueger 50

I bought a Salt 40 just recently. What struck me on first looking at it was that it looks a lot like a Daiwa of a few years ago....I haven't used it yet but noting the rust comments I'll try some prevention, the only reels I've had which haven't suffered rust are a Saltiga Blast and a Tiagra 20.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
    Sorry Spears,I only just came back here for a look and found I didnt answer yr question.
    For the heavy work like in that clip I was using a Wilson Mulloway rod rated at around 15-25kg with a fast taper. Line is Shimano power pro 50lb braid and casting weight is 65grams with those jigheads but I have cast over 120gms without a problem.
    My current rod is a 10-15kg penn prevail with a Penn SSV6500 loaded with 30lb Shimano Power Pro and it is a gun outfit.
    Lighter,stronger,faster as they say. The Penn SSV has had a lot of work and is a beaut reel so far.. And as a lot of people who know me and my reel habits would say that for me to say its a beaut reel is well up there...
    cheers,steve.
    Hi Steve,just curious in knowing which spinning reel you are using now.
    Cheers