Thread: Sustain FG 4000 v's Biomaster 4000

Sustain FG 4000 v's Biomaster 4000

Hi all,

looking to hear from anyone who has either of these reels in 4000 size and keen to hear any good/bad reports. It will be strapped to an 10kg rod for heavy plastics. Sustain has higher gear ratio so could double for spinning slugs etc so I am leaning that way at present.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Sustain FG 4000 v's Biomaster 4000

For a small reel and wanting to throw slugs the higher gear wil definitely be better. We saw this last trip using a Stella 5000 and a Symetre 4000. The Stella was all over the Tuna with the 6.2:1 retrieve.
    Also, it seems hard to justify the extra dollars for the Sustain over the Stradic as it is such a nice reel itself. I can't remember the gear ratio of the Stradic compared to the Sustain though.
    A left field option would be the Shimano Aceration. It's a high geared JDM version of the Saragosa which makes it attractive for salt water use. I've not used the new Stradics as I didn't like their corrosion resistance in the older models. They might be better though.
    I can't comment on the Biomaster but if it's the SW version it will be a very good reel as it is above the Saragosa in that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreeboy View Post
    For a small reel and wanting to throw slugs the higher gear wil definitely be better. We saw this last trip using a Stella 5000 and a Symetre 4000. The Stella was all over the Tuna with the 6.2:1 retrieve.
    Also, it seems hard to justify the extra dollars for the Sustain over the Stradic as it is such a nice reel itself. I can't remember the gear ratio of the Stradic compared to the Sustain though.
    A left field option would be the Shimano Aceration. It's a high geared JDM version of the Saragosa which makes it attractive for salt water use. I've not used the new Stradics as I didn't like their corrosion resistance in the older models. They might be better though.
    I can't comment on the Biomaster but if it's the SW version it will be a very good reel as it is above the Saragosa in that line.
    Thanks mate. I already have a 4000 FI stradic which I like but wanted to get the next step up and the Sustain and Biomaster seem to be in the next bracket for Shimano. Would love a Stella but not just yet!

You know if you hold off a little they should have some great deals on a Stella 5K next year as a new model is coming out. They'll be getting rid of the old ones cheap. Still quite a few hundred bucks but still a lot less than now. I also reckon that will be a better size for a 10 kg stick, the 4 K ones may not be the best balance.

Hey Mate,
    I just brought the Sustain 5000, same as the 4000 just a larger spool capacity.
    I got it for 20% off at BCF as a club member.
    I got it for the exact same reasons you are looking at.
    Can say it smashed a penn all day on saturday on the mackeral, the 6.2 to 1 ratio is great.
    Taking the reel to throw plastics around at Lady Musgrave over xmas.
    Dont know much about the other reel you are looking at, i am a fan of the Shimano reels.
    Good luck with your decision.
    Cheers Dale
    "On Site"
    5.6m Quintrex Legend Centre Console

I would stay away from the smaller Saragoa's. They have a lot of flex in the rotors and when you look at the schematic they look like a Saros. I have the Stradic 5000 and 8000 in the FI series. I also have the Symetre 4000 which is slightly faster than the Stradic 4000. They are all very good. The Sustain as mentioned before is too close to the Stradic with an extra bearing on the spool shaft and extra bearing on the handle to warrant the large price difference.

Hi guys,

just to follow up on this thread, I ummed and arred about what to do and then discovered one of the local tackle shops here in Brisvegas has a 20% off all rods and reels deal and the moment. So went there today and walked out with..........a Stella 4000FE! Holy shite what a reel! Now all I need is this wind to p*ss off so I can hit the bay and give it a run!

Thanks for your comments and feedback.