Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best land based walk in fishing/camping spots within 5 hrs of Brisbane?

Wink Best land based walk in fishing/camping spots within 5 hrs of Brisbane?

Hi all, Just wanted to get your thoughts on where you reckon are the best walk in fishing spots that can be camped at within a 5 hour drive of Brisbane.

This can include fresh or salt but must not involve a boat as I am looking for new spots to take the Connect boys (at risk boys program) for 3 day midweek camps where the fishing is 'really good'.

See http://www.su-connect.org.au/ for info on the program which many ausfishers have contributed towards over the past year by giving us their unused fishing gear and or new stuff as has been the case with some.

Again thanks to all that have supported the boys and our program. I have now completed my first year as assistant on the northside program and we have seen loads of progress and change in many young lives. Very encouraging indeed!! On the fishing front the boys have caught: flathead, bream, whiting, dart, tailor, mangrove jacks, bass, lungfish (huge one we threw back promptly upon realising what it was), telapia, catfish, eels, and more. No1 go-to lure was the ZMann Grubz for most species.

What's more we have a number of boys that never had caught a fish that now love fishing, others that improved out of sight and many that are keen for more and have now discovered the joys of fishing which is very special as some of their worlds don't see much joy of any sort.

We currently go to:

1. DI Point Teewah Beach for camp 1
    2. Brissy River from twin bridges to Kholo Bridge for camp 2
    3. Upper Mann River near Glenn Innes for our bushwalking camp 3 (inc 1 extra night)
    4. A prawn farm down near Jacobs well on the southside of Brissy for work experience camp 4 (High School Camps only). ie so they get a reference to help them apply for jobs.
    5. Any groups that do really well on the river/canoeing camp and behave well get an extra camp through the Mann/Nymbodia and on into the Clarence Valley/Gorge though I have not been on any of these as of yet.

So I welcome your ideas bearing in mind that we can't afford the petrol or time to go too far apart from the bushwalking camp as we get an extra arvo and night for the travelling on that one.

Note also that the reason we Canoe on the Brissy River is that it has rapids which provide challenge and make it exciting and is dam fed so has a reliable, consistent flow.

Merry Christmas to all,

Cheers and much thanks again to all of those wonderful supporters out there

You guys rock!!

Mal

Re: Best land based walk in fishing/camping spots within 5 hrs of Brisbane?

Sundown National Park down near Glen Lyon Dam is good if you pack the canoes.
    Same sort of thing around Giraween but much less water and more portage between holes.
    What about below the Ebor Falls running down that creek thru the national park?
    Jack.

Hi
    What about the falls up near Montville and Maleny. There is a camp ground and plenty of paths to walk up there.

Cheers
    Mrs H

Thanks for the two people who have replied but...

Hey guys where are all of the ideas?

I'm sure there plenty more good fishing spots out there within 5 hrs of Brisbane??!!

How about the upper Tweed? Anyone who has camped and fished up there?

Or the Upper Brunswick or Richmond. Any experiences or locations people would be willing to share?

South of the Clarence is getting too far so anywhere down to the Clarence is good.

We need to avoid official camping areas where possible as we are a decent sized group and we need space and solitude to achieve good results with the boys.

Or the stretch from the Kolan River north of Bundy through to Seventeen Seventy? I hear there good land based fishing up there but have not heard of any walk in type spots? Pretty sure this would also be within 5 hrs of Brisbane?

Anyone want to share their experiences?

If you don't want to publish them then maybe consider PM'ing me some thoughts.

Thanks, Mal

Flick me your email address malby and I will send you some google earth locations to investigate.
    Jack.

Have you thought of investigating the LARC Environmental tour that runs from 1770 to bustard head?? They might do a charity run for the kids to drop them at the mouth of Jenny Lind Creek or at Bustard head and let you walk to a chosen area for a fishing camp? The creek west of Bustard head is Pancake creek and its a great camping and fishing location. Be a 4-6km walk I reckon depending on where you get dropped at.
    Jack.

Ideas, hmmmm.
    Go to Moore, on the D'ag highway past the Brisbane river,turn right to go to linville, go 20 Kms, don't turn right into the Lions camp, ( Camp Duckadang) keep following the road. I have not been further than this point but a few mates have camped and fished on the river up further. I will attempt to contact them in the next couple of days for more detail.It is possible to see this area on Google earth.
    Cheers.
    Bob.
    PS caught a couple of flathead on plastics. Thank you.

Haven't been here, might be too far, and not certain on walk-in options but this looks like a lovely spot http://www.westkunderang.com.au/

Logging Ramp at Kauri Ck, Caravan Park Munna point, Caravan Park Boonooroo,

Thanks Chisel but this looks well south of Yamba and thus a few hours too far for us to consider.
    Jelifish thanks also and your spots look well inside my driving range which is great. Obviously a man of few words which is fine but maybe PM me your email so I can quiz you a bit more on these options. Have you fished at any of these? Are any of them 'walk in spots' or just van parks as van parks are not an option for us due to the need for walking being part of the experience as well as the need for isolation and separation from other campers. Again thanks to both of you for your thoughts.

What about somewhere inland, different type of fishing and it would probably be a bit of an eye opener for the boys. There are plenty of dams about, Pindari, leslie, glenlyon are a few which come to mind. Also there are the rivers, Condamine, Severn, plus heaps more. I have only fished a couple of these and it was a few years ago but im sure someone here would have some more info.

Harry's Hut on The Noosa River would be another one worth considering

You could walk the fresh water sections of the Mary river you could probably camp at teddington weir maryborough there is no exact camping areas or maybe lenthals dam stay at wongai lakes and walk to the dam easy tracks to walk bass, Mary cod, yellow belly and barra are possibles

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Have you thought of investigating the LARC Environmental tour that runs from 1770 to bustard head?? They might do a charity run for the kids to drop them at the mouth of Jenny Lind Creek or at Bustard head and let you walk to a chosen area for a fishing camp? The creek west of Bustard head is Pancake creek and its a great camping and fishing location. Be a 4-6km walk I reckon depending on where you get dropped at.
    Good one tunaticer! This idea poped into my head as soon as i read this post! A spot i'd reccomend for the lads to be dropped off would be the mouth of middle creek. a short (1km ish) walk at low tide will see you at middle creek camp ground in Eurimbula NP. It's a ripper little spot that allows camping right on the beach and many landbased fishing options. Before i owned a boat i would have a ball catching many different species within easy walking distance from the camp. This includes whiting, bream, trevally, grunter, jacks, salmon, cod, long tom, mud crabs and some thumper flatties. There are productive locations at all stages of the tide as well as abundant wild life and areas that are suitable for swimming. I'll have a quick look and see if i can find a few snaps of the area to post, let me know if i can be of any more assistance.

I'm at work at the moment (working hard), so i could only find a couple photos. google earth has a few nice photo's of the area though.
    Attached Images Attached Images