Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best land based walk in fishing/camping spots within 5 hrs of Brisbane?

Re: Best land based walk in fishing/camping spots within 5 hrs of Brisbane?

I've done Cooloola area including the walk up to campsite 15, Wondai waterhole and a canoe down from the top of the Noosa R down to Harry's Hut and beyond. There's not a sole around and would be great for a small group of boys.

Thanks for that Zac. Sounds like the kind of combo I'm keen for with a1 fishing (top priority), wilderness experience, no one there to bother us (hopefully this would be so??) and swimming.

Just a couple of questions:

1. How long does it take to drive to 1770 from Brissy northside?
    2. Is the Lark the only way in to Middle Creek or do you walk in?
    3. Is it safe to swim up there or is it Crock country?
    4. What about marine stingers as they now get them at Fraser Island? Also any other nasties up there?
    5. Can you pump yabbies?
    6. Is there anywhere you can get fresh water or must it all be carried in?
    7. Are you allowed to have camp fires?

Sorry about the many questions but once we narrow down a new area we do a recy and check it out and I need to have done my due diligence to ensure we are not wasting time and money on such which I'm sure you'd agree none of us have in overflow these days.

Thanks so much for the pics which are great and if you have more please post them as they really give me a good idea of the results available.

For other posters reading this please put up some pics of the fishing in your suggested locations (if possible) as this is really a big issue. The boys have a short attention span and the fishing needs to be hot to catch their attention and it sure helps us leaders if it is as they stay focused on that and are less likely to get into trouble.

Not sure if anyone from NSW reads Ausfish much but still have no real offerings from Northern NSW?? ie. from Brooms Head north.

Quote Originally Posted by malby View Post
    Just a couple of questions:

1. How long does it take to drive to 1770 from Brissy northside?
    2. Is the Lark the only way in to Middle Creek or do you walk in?
    3. Is it safe to swim up there or is it Crock country?
    4. What about marine stingers as they now get them at Fraser Island? Also any other nasties up there?
    5. Can you pump yabbies?
    6. Is there anywhere you can get fresh water or must it all be carried in?
    7. Are you allowed to have camp fires?
    1- About 5 1/2 hours usually but could be a bit longer with the roadworks going on down that way.

2- Regular access is via 4WD through eurimbula NP, quite a walk from the main road so i wouldn't advise going this way. http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/eu...nks/about.html

3, 4- Never say never, but i've never seen or heard of crocs in this system. stinkers are always a risk when swimming up here but depending on the time of year you should be safe. i consider it safe enough for my two children (both under 2) to swim with us there. Sting rays are around in the shallows so we only swim on bright sunny days when the visability is good. Gathering bait at low tide is always a good excuse to take a dip and cool off.

5- Yes, yabby banks are right in front of the camp ground. you have to work pretty hard to get a good supply of bait though. mullet, herring and gar can be cast netted with relitive ease.

6- BYO water. only facilities there is a long drop dunny. No rubbish bins either. Mobile reception is available at the top of the hill above the camp grounds.

7- No fires or collecting of timber from the national park.

Malby, I consider the fishing here to be pretty good and it's just a very relaxing spot to camp out for a couple nights. If you have goolge earth on your PC then have a look on there at the pictures that others have uploaded of the area.

Forgot to mention, the lark does quite often stop at the mouth on Middle creek there to let the backpackers and tourists out of a swim too.

I've never fished in the area but Paddys Flat and other spots on the upper Clarence might be worth investigating. Pretty remote and some informal camping options. Probably be able to find somewhere to walk or canoe into and setup camp ok. https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...27938&t=h&z=16
    It's not far from this place http://www.clarenceriver.com/ but I think they discourage fishing in their section of the river. They might be able to provide some good walk-in camping options though.
    It's about 3 hrs from Brisbane.

Malby, I would be opting for a walk in camping session at Jenny Lind Creek or Pancake Creek, accessible via the LARC. Reason being is Middle creek camping area is quite small and vehicle campers may well take all the camping options from you. Add to that the inherent alcohol issue with the drive in groups may be something to deal with as well.
    Jenny Lind has zero facilities but camping is available at two areas that do not get any vehicle access. Pancake creek also has one large stretch of the creek where camping is good and no vehicle access. Walking in to there from Bustard Head will be a bit over a half day walk backpacking everything in. The LARC travels to the Bustard Head lighthouse daily with tours. Ring the LARC operators and discuss the process with them.
    Later this year I will be doing a kayak camping trip using the LARC to get me to Jenny Lind Creek for a start.
    Jack.

Thanks for pointing this out Tunaticer as other campers would rule Middle Creek out altogether especially if they come in with alcohol or there is the potential to lose our camping spot. I am now also wondering about the traveling time involved as with a 5.5hr drive (if that is indeed the time it takes) it may all take a bit long but this depends upon the time the Lark takes the next morning to get to Jenny Lind or Pancake Creek?? Let me know if you have done it before. I also notice that the Lark only travels on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. We arrive Tuesday nights which would work fine ie. leave the next morning Wednesday which is great but I wonder how they would feel about doing a special run back on Friday morning...and for a charity rate at that?? I guess you never know till you ask but another concern I have is that the area you speak of seems very remote and may make it quite hard if we have an emergency? We do currently face such issues at the Mann River so this is not insurmountable but carrying in water as well as camping gear would put Pancake out of reach if no fresh water was available on site?? I am also concerned about Crocks, sharks and Stingers and am thinking that swimming would be out of the question at such a location (unless you were aware of a safe swimming hole etc). Keep those thoughts coming as this is really helping me think through the options.

Nothing like first hand experiences though and for that Mangrove Zac's input has been brilliant.

Thanks also for your ideas Chisel but gee you must be a fast driver!! From the northside of Brisbane I rarely even make the border in less than 2 hours especially on a weekday arvo after school. My record is Evans Head in 3 hours and Yamba/Iluka another hour minimum and that's with no breaks. This still puts the area within our driving range though so some feedback from others who have been there and done that would be great. Having said that if fishing was a no go then the idea falls down right there.

As for safety at Jenny Lind Creek or pancake creek for that matter, I guess your biggest and most likely problem would be a broken arm or leg as kids have a tendency to do, then they would need to be sedated or whatever to immobilise them and call out for one of the rescue choppers in the area. One operates from Bundy/hervey bay and another operates out from Gladstone from what I remember. There is an emergency phone still operating at the Bustard Head light house I think. I don't think the mobile service is too good in the area though.
    I would rate the creeks to be reasonably safe, bluebottles will arrive when the wind direction is right, same with anywhere along the coast. Sharks are a normal part of any waterway, just be selective where you swim. Jenny Lind has a very big shallow sandy section in front of one of the areas I would camp at where any shark would be pretty obvious as it approached.

Maybe you might want to look at Bribie Island surf beach for a location??? Water will still be something you will need to accomodate for though.

To be honest, meeting your criteria with a perfectly safe environment and water laid on is almost a fantasy within 5 hours of Brisbane. Head west into the freshwater creeks and rivers and you will have plenty more to worry about with the snakes and insects and so forth.

Have you investigated South Straddie for an option?? I do not know what is there but it does not have vehicles and you might find a water taxi that will deliver your group to the shores for the first part of your trekking. Gonna have to cart your water or carry a sand spear......
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by malby View Post
    Thanks also for your ideas Chisel but gee you must be a fast driver!! From the northside of Brisbane I rarely even make the border in less than 2 hours especially on a weekday arvo after school. My record is Evans Head in 3 hours and Yamba/Iluka another hour minimum and that's with no breaks. This still puts the area within our driving range though so some feedback from others who have been there and done that would be great. Having said that if fishing was a no go then the idea falls down right there.
    It's nowhere near Yamba (although Iluka is definitely no more than 3 hours from centre of Brisbane, sticking to the limits, no stops - 260km). The Clarence River area I'm talking about is south of Urbenville. A bit over 2 hrs on bitumen from Brisbane via Beaudesert and Woodenbong, plus about an hour on good dirt roads to the Paddys Flat area - but I'm sure there are other spots in the general area.

To be clear Jack we are not after a 'perfectly safe environment'. Just one that we can manage and that is not too extreme to do so with our young guys. I really like your suggestion of these Creeks and will continue to look at them as potential options until I have checked into as many details as I can. If you have driven up there please give me your estimate of the road time from the Brissy Northside with breaks. Again thanks for your input which is greatly valued. Mal

I normally do the run to 1770 in 5 hours 15 mins roughly from Petrie, I do not stop.
    That is sitting on the speed limit the whole way.
    Plenty of parks and cabins out of peak holiday seasons at 1770 for an overnight stay prior to taking the LARC run.
    What age group are these kids you are taking?
    Jack.