Media Release: Christmas Boost for Boaties

MEDIA RELEASE

JOINT STATEMENT
    Premier
    The Honourable Campbell Newman
    Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
    The Honourable John McVeigh

Christmas boost for Queensland boaties

Queensland’s boaties and anglers have received an early Christmas present, with the Newman Government announcing the first round of projects funded through the $120 million Marine Infrastructure program.

Premier Campbell Newman, Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry Minister John McVeigh and Member for Lytton Neil Symes made the announcement while inspecting Manly Boat Harbour – the site of three of the projects to be delivered under the program.

“The funding will improve marine infrastructure including boat ramps, walkways and pontoons across Queensland,” Mr Newman said.

“The Department of Transport and Main Roads will deliver the in-water works, with councils to provide the landside facilities, road access and parking.”

“Today’s announcement ticks off another project from our current six-month action plan.”

The first round will include more than 30 projects across the state.

“Recreational boating and fishing is vital to the state’s tourism industry, and this funding will further boost one of the government’s four economic pillars,” Mr McVeigh said.

“Upgrading these facilities will generate significant benefits for Queensland’s 750,000 recreational fishers and thousands of boaties.”

Neil Symes said the Manly Boat Harbour was one of Queensland’s most popular marine facilities providing access to Moreton Bay and its many islands.

“This funding will allow vital upgrades to improve access for local boaties to one of the most popular waterways in Queensland,” Mr Symes said.

“Work will begin in the New Year to install new floating walkways on the northern and southern boat ramps, as well as widening both ramps to reduce congestion for boaties.

“We’re also going to dredge the harbour entrance as part of our vital rolling four-year program to improve access.”

Other Marine Infrastructure Fund projects to be funded in the first round include:

·######## reconstruction of# boat ramp with floating walkway at Cooktown

·######## replacement of boat ramp at Gilbert Street in Karumba

·######## new ramps and pontoons in Ross River, Townsville

·######## upgraded boat ramp and floating walkway at the Conway Road boat ramp in the Proserpine River

·######## dredging in Rosslyn Bay boat harbour

·######## a new ramp and floating walkway at Burrum Heads in the Wide Bay Burnett region

·######## floating walkways for the two ramps in Mooloolaba.

[ENDS] 16 October 2012

Media Contact: Premier’s Office – 3224 4500

Re: Media Release: Christmas Boost for Boaties

When do we hear news about changing the greenzones and their rules as promised?
    Jack.

When do we get the fish stocking funding back, funds for support of the 500 hundred odd fishcare volunteers you sacked, our rego reduced as the levy is no longer used for recreational boating support.

Oh thats right, when we vote you out in 29 months..........

Is there going to be an increase in trailer only parking in the carpark as well?
    Is there anyway to ban people from fishing off these walkways?
    Is it possible to place a 'code of conduct' at ramps to try and solve a lot of problems of people doing the wrong thing?

Good to see a start happening though
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I do hope the govt does some homework and doesn't do a complete botch of the floating pontoons at the Mooloolaba ramps as the NSW Govt did with the Roseville ramp floating pontoon spending a bucket load of money and making a real bottleneck for boaties.

I will post up comments from users on NSW ramp asap so it can hopefully be a lessons learnt rather than a mistake repeated - hopefully we are the smarter state!
    Cheers

Trev

Good to finally see (sorry, hear) about some giving to anglers instead of the taking from anglers we have seen so far. I'd like to see something for freshwater though as they have been the big losers since the LNP won Government. Also nothing yet for land based anglers which make up well over half of Qld anglers. Is there anything planned for these 2 large groups of anglers MP Mark?

Opps, may have spoke to soon, I've just been told Qld freshwater anglers have just recieved a rise in their SIP licence cost, is this true Mark? I'm not sure as mine isn't due for another 7 months.

If Mark is reluctant, can anyone else confirm or refute this increase?
    ~~~><))))*>

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Opps, may have spoke to soon, I've just been told Qld freshwater anglers have just recieved a rise in their SIP licence cost, is this true Mark? I'm not sure as mine isn't due for another 7 months.

Mike

I got told by a few of the FB boys about a month ago that the SIP has gone up.

So all the upgrades down south are they actually new announcements or just re announcements like the Townsville one is. The Townsville one has been announced at least three times previously
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Quote Originally Posted by STUIE63 View Post
    So all the upgrades down south are they actually new announcements or just re announcements like the Townsville one is. The Townsville one has been announced at least three times previously
    That's one thing I did notice. There were no times given for the start (in the new year was mentioned but it's a new year for about 12 and 1/2 months from now) and finish of any work.
    And look at the date at the bottom of the prepared letter. 16th of October. It's 2 months old.

You'd hope they do not start this project right now. Wouldn't that cause havoc over Christmas?

It would be nice to see a list of projects, their time frames and their cost.

And remember.....we cannot assume anything nor take anything for granted. Unless it is stated this is happening on the (blah, blah date) then it may not happen and even then it may not happen. Is the person who authorised that media release authorised to do that media release?
    We've seen it all before remember

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    I've just been told Qld freshwater anglers have just recieved a rise in their SIP licence cost, is this true Mark? I'm not sure as mine isn't due for another 7 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Mike

I got told by a few of the FB boys about a month ago that the SIP has gone up.
    How much was it? It's $37.30 according to the website
    https://www.smartservice.qld.gov.au/...=15xt8wzliteyo

How about some cleaning tables at some of the popular ramps?

A floating pontoon at Pinkenba ramp would be nice considering it is one the busiest ramps on the northside of bne.The tides and wind make it fun even for a small tinnie.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    How much was it? It's $37.30 according to the website
    https://www.smartservice.qld.gov.au/...=15xt8wzliteyo
    I'm told it's a 3% increase. How come MP Mark didn't post up the press release about that? You know until the LNP took to freshwater anglers with an axe that price would have probably received support from some groups. Worth asking why the increase? Labor did raise it 12 months ago, the 1st price rise in almost 20 years. Now the LNP raise it again so soon, and up 3% when the CPI went up 1.5%. Why? What's the plan? Do they have a plan?
    ~~~><))))*>

Opps.....double post
    ~~~><))))*>

Quote Originally Posted by Giveitacrack View Post
    A floating pontoon at Pinkenba ramp would be nice considering it is one the busiest ramps on the northside of bne.The tides and wind make it fun even for a small tinnie.
    I know this has been looked at more than once. I think there was safety issues to do with the speed of the current there pushing smaller poats under the pontoons. IMO What it needs is a couple of rock groynes and the ramp running parallel to the shore, like Clontarf.
    ~~~><))))*>