Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honeymoon fishing trip to Queensland

Honeymoon fishing trip to Queensland

Hi all. My fiance' and I are from Idaho, USA and are currently planning a honeymoon trip to Queensland for next fall (early Sept or early Oct) and hope to get some fishing in along the way. Our tentative itinerary is to start in Cairns, spend a few days there, a few in the Tablelands around Yungaburra, and then some time between the Lucinda and Forrest Beach area. We are currently undecided on whether or not we continue to Brisbane or head back to Cairns for our flight home.

I'm looking for local input on suggested charters and/or gear to bring along for some beach and river fishing. We wouldn't mind having a few keepers for dinner on the grill while there, but would be releasing most everything. We don't have anything specific targeted in mind, just would like some good action and a variety of fish and fishing types. I have a medium weight travel spinning rod with 9 kilo line that worked well for a trip to Florida last winter for some inshore fishing and am looking at bringing it and either a duplicate or a slightly heavier travel rod as well.

Any suggestions on places, tips, charters or related would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Honeymoon fishing trip to Queensland

Has your fiance got any sisters? If so bring them all along, they'll be lots of Aussie guys lined up for that type of well bred sheila.

Good luck with your trip, I'm from down south and can't really help you with your question.

That she does, Jarrah, 5 of them in fact! Only one still available, and don't think she's much into fishing! Not only does mine like to fish, she is happy to clean the fish too!

No input on the fishing side of things, But coming to Brisbane and the Gold coast is a must while your here.
    Especially around that time of year, Brisbane is extremely cheap to travel too (CBD areas).
    For the extra 2 grand orso on an already large trip, I would make the trip down.

Edit: I work for the biggest hotel group here in Australia. If you need advice on anything here or throughout the Asia pacific, Let me know.

Blog Entries

If you come to Caloundra I will take you for a fish. I spent 12months living in the USA (Utah) and had some great people take me fishing. Would love to return the favour.

PM me if you are keen. Otherwise , good luck and enjoy yourselves in the greatest place to live in the world.

There is a great big beautiful tasty fish with your name on it just swimming around killing time till you arrive.

I hope you have a ripper of a time here and us Aussies show you why this is the best country in the world.

Just make sure you keep reeling her in, because that missus of yours is a definite keeper.

Sorry that I have no info for you.... just my best wishes for your happy marriage. (33 years and counting here....)

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman83467 View Post
    Hi all. My fiance' and I are from Idaho, USA and are currently planning a honeymoon trip to Queensland for next fall (early Sept or early Oct) and hope to get some fishing in along the way. Our tentative itinerary is to start in Cairns, spend a few days there, a few in the Tablelands around Yungaburra, and then some time between the Lucinda and Forrest Beach area. We are currently undecided on whether or not we continue to Brisbane or head back to Cairns for our flight home.

I'm looking for local input on suggested charters and/or gear to bring along for some beach and river fishing. We wouldn't mind having a few keepers for dinner on the grill while there, but would be releasing most everything. We don't have anything specific targeted in mind, just would like some good action and a variety of fish and fishing types. I have a medium weight travel spinning rod with 9 kilo line that worked well for a trip to Florida last winter for some inshore fishing and am looking at bringing it and either a duplicate or a slightly heavier travel rod as well.

Any suggestions on places, tips, charters or related would be greatly appreciated.
    My first suggestion would be leave the rods at home. If they don't get lost on the flight over you'll pay an arm and a leg to get em here. If you're looking to go on charters, they will supply you with gear. It might be a good idea to bring a reel with you if you're used to that but you never know what the bloody customs quarantine people will confiscate.
    Secondly, there are massive numbers of charter boats around the Cairns area but I'm sure someone will put their hand up to take you out in FNQ (Far North Qld). Very friendly people up there.
    Be aware of crocs, snakes, stingers and the dangers they present. Be careful wandering along the beaches fishing.
    This is where tackle shops come into play. If you leave your gear at home and spend the money you would have spent on tporting your gear in a local shop, they'll tell you all you need to know about local conditions.
    Thirdly, if you're up on the tablelands, you might like to fish for barra in the dam up there. Alternatively, on the way down the coast, if you decide to move south, you could fish in a thousand ways for many different types of fish.
    Personally, I wouldnt try to cover too much territory, as there is a lot to see between FNQ and brisbane. I would leave the rest for another trip...maybe the first anniversary?
    But people are friendly and you should be able to get someone from here to give you a trip if you're genuine.
    Hope that little blither helps a bit.
    regards Jim

all i can help with is just hope you guys love xxxx beer and enjoy you stay with us in oz hope your honeymoon & fishing trip /stay is awesome here enjoy oh and congrats

Thanks, Jim. That's good info and cautions for me to consider. I picked up a 3pc saltwater travel rod from Cabelas last winter before my first fishing trip to Florida, where my girl's family has a place. It went right on my carry-on pack and didn't have any problems, but I'll double check that before I pack it along. I thought a couple of 'em might be handy to have in case we stopped along the water's edge somewhere, but would definitely hit the tackle shops for hardware and info. And I'm having a heck of a time trying to fit everything in between FNQ and Brisbane; just too many great options there. I've been chatting with some charter operators; but would be very happy to get out with a local if the chance arose.

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    If you come to Caloundra I will take you for a fish. I spent 12months living in the USA (Utah) and had some great people take me fishing. Would love to return the favour.

PM me if you are keen. Otherwise , good luck and enjoy yourselves in the greatest place to live in the world.
    Thanks, Crunchy. And yeah, the dog is ok, but my lab is better

Quote Originally Posted by Todddo View Post
    No input on the fishing side of things, But coming to Brisbane and the Gold coast is a must while your here.
    Especially around that time of year, Brisbane is extremely cheap to travel too (CBD areas).
    For the extra 2 grand orso on an already large trip, I would make the trip down.

Edit: I work for the biggest hotel group here in Australia. If you need advice on anything here or throughout the Asia pacific, Let me know.
    Thanks, Todddo. We're debating making the journey south - so many things to do already in FNQ - but I keep getting told to do so. My chiropractor is a Brisbane native, and she tells me I "must". PM me with any travel or lodging suggestions in the area if you would. Thanks.

might as well make a big trip out of it and come and see me too, down the South Cost of NSW, I am sure we could take you somewhere to have a fish!

Well Noelm if they are going to the south coast of NSW they definitely must visit the Gold Coast etc the way and then there's the Snapper south of you at Stony Point meet and greet with Jarrah Jack.

Cheers
    Chimo

PS We can get all the goss on the Lewis and Clarke exploits and fishing in fast flowing rivers from these two and JJ can see pics of the sister?
    What could go wrong.......................

Thanks for all the offers mates. Guess I better win the big one in the lottery between now and then! And you would've picked the right couple for info on the exploits of Lewis n Clark; I manage a big chunk of federal land where they came over from the Missouri side to the Columbia side - where their guide Sacajawea came from - and Tess came from the St. Louis side and is an avid fan too. And yeah, we could talking fishing for awhile too! But I don't think I'm showing JJ pix of the little sister in her bikini wheelin in a cart of snapper caught off her dad's big boat in the Gulf of Mexico!! I really don't think she's a willing as my gal to get up before dawn and spend all day on the water fishing and then clean the catch when you get home.

Have a good one all. Need to get out the door and shovel the snow off the walk before heading to work so my gal can get to her rig.

Had a feeling you guys might be familiar with L and C but nice to know your even more familiar. Be nice to hear more aboot them.
    From time to time we hang aboot somewhat n and e of you where the snow can need a lot of shovel work although with planning one can arrive and depart so as to avoid it!

Cheers
    Chimo

At least L & C avoided costs like these for their water front locations http://www.couriermail.com.au/travel...-1226538639566
    What could go wrong.......................