Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trolling for the first time

Re: Trolling for the first time

Any of those resin heads have wire? May want to retrofit some on just incase Mr Hoo takes a liking to them!

One of them do, it's got a flat head on it. I've got some wire trace at home which I can re-do them with. Do I need to crimp the ends or can I just tie the line to it with a particular knot? Teh traces might already be geared up, I'll have to have a look when I get home.

I'll be happy if I have something even have a go at one of them. It means I'm heading in the right direction to finally catch a big fish.

Hi,

I've done more trolling than some. Here's an article I wrote on trolling, hope it helps mate. Any questions feel free to PM me. If you're new to trolling I'd add a mono trace before the wire, cheers.

p.s. four parts to it, so read all four.

http://www.fishingtownsville.net/201...part-1-of.html

p.s. this is for macks, unsure what you're targeting.

This will give you some good info. http://pakula.com.au/

Check out the video gallery

Jeremy has given you enough to get started. Don't troll lures at less than 7knots if you want Hoo etc as bycatch. I work minnows up to 10kts. Hex heads are better at 12kts and up but still work in a minnow spread. If around hutchies or 7s I would have wire on everything
    Bait trolling is a better system if you know where the fish are but there are a few tricks to presentation
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I've read all the articles recommended and taken all of your advise on board and am very grateful to all of you for your input.

We've got a few smalls things to prepare (Fuelling boat, beers in esky, Kwells) and then we're ready to go.

I'll update everyone when I get home tomorrow as to how we've gone.

Important one, if you find bait don't just drive past it once and drive over it, drive around it heaps and work it to death. where there is food is the bigger fish. mark you're bait on the plotter

dave
    I am not an Angler I am an Athlete of the sea.............<><

Done the hour drive to the ramp this morning. Had a PM from Jeremy advising weather won't be too favourable.

Boat in the ramp at 3.30 and once we got into the bay the chop was up. We decided to call it there instead of battling through the chop for an hour and we'll have another go tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippidy View Post
    Done the hour drive to the ramp this morning. Had a PM from Jeremy advising weather won't be too favourable.

Boat in the ramp at 3.30 and once we got into the bay the chop was up. We decided to call it there instead of battling through the chop for an hour and we'll have another go tomorrow.

you did the right thing, would not have been pleasant out there this morning, especially in a 14' boat, there's always another day.
    I will have a look tomorrow as well, don't like the ne/e wind though

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin Sea View Post
    you did the right thing, would not have been pleasant out there this morning, especially in a 14' boat, there's always another day.
    I will have a look tomorrow as well, don't like the ne/e wind though

Cheers
    Yeah, it's pretty disappointing, but with such a small boat it really isn't worth the risk.

We might head out through SPB tomorrow morning as I've been out there a fair few times and know it better.

Hi guys,

I'm planning on heading out through jumpinpin tomorrow and trolling up towards point lookout. When trolling should I just zigzag my way up looking for temperature lines, bait and structure, or is there a rough depth that i should try and stick to? I'll mainly be trolling for wahoo with a mixture of hexheads and hardbodies. Any help would be great.

Thanks, Jason

Left at 2.30am Sunday morning. Got about 3km from home when we had to turn around because a wheel bearing was on its way out.

Decided to try again in the afternoon so was on the water at around 3.30 and headed towards the Sevens. The bay wasn't too bad and the bar was non existent. Trolled around the sevens for an hour but the ocean picked up a lot so decided we'd head in and stop if we see any birds.

Slogged our way home and the bay was choppy.

No fish this time but didn't really have anything go our way this weekend.

Will try again when the weather is good again.

Headed out around 5:30 from Pinkenba Sunday morning, hit the SPB an hour into the ebb tide which made for a long concentrating crossing, sea was a bit messy but knew it was going to come good (Turned out really nice around 9:30). Trolled Seven's for about 2 hours with only a mac tuna caught (Released)...did some drfiting around Cathederals but the current was too strong, lots of bites and a few spat hooks but hard to fish in that current and too lazy to anchor.... 170Km's round trip and no fish for dinner, once again.