Thread: Camping Lantern

Camping Lantern

Hi there,
    Just wondering if anyone has any idea of a Bright, child friendly lantern to buy these days?? Have a 30" x 30" tarp that we set up and need a really good light to see what we are doin.
    All and any advise is muchly appreciated.

SMD strip led's glued to 20mm PVC conduit. Ciggy plug on the end. Make them as long as you like. Put a female on the spare end. And link them.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Camping Lantern

I have always and still do use a battery and BurnBrite fluros. They have an excellent white light and use bugger all power. A great back up for when the power goes off at home as well.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Yep I use a couple of little deep cycle batteries and some fluro lights attached to the spreader bars.

12v and versalite (burnbrite) flouro.

In my pop up gazebo, I have stuck on strip leds to the frame. Works a treat, got them connected so that I have 4 sections of about 1.5m. Its wired to a control box that has 2 switches, and I am also going to add a 12V dimmer off flea bay. It works really well, and is really bright. Everyone comments on it.

Cons: The 5050 SMD LED strip lighting draws about 1A per meter, so when I have both circuits on, it draws about 6amps. I normally only run one circuit, and its plenty bright enough. Also, I used cool white, and the insects love it. On the weekend, I was camping up near cunninghams gap, and the toilet block used yello fluro tubes and they attracted bugger all insects.. Not sure what yellow leds would look like but I would consider trying that next time around. A mate wants me to set up his gazebo the same, this time I am going to reduce the length of the leds from 1.5m sections to 75cm to save on power. I will probably also cut mine down to the same.

Pros: Its permanently fixed to the gazebo. Its rugged and hard to break. Should outlast me.

Fluros would certainly last longer, but the led strip lighting is so easy. Where you dont have something permanent to fix the leds too, the fluro might be the easier option, although rip it up's trick has merit. You may also be able to stick the leds to the cross members of the tarp.

Yell out if you want pics of my setup.

Thats great tips my fellow camper friends. Those LED sound like the go for me with a fluro for the tent.. Many thanks again and Merry xmas to you all

How about the outdoor connection firefly lights, 4 led bulbs on a string all are individually switched not the brightest but will light up a 3x3 gaze and draws 0.6 amps. Can also join two lengths together if needed.

I always enjoyed a camp fire for lighting.......
    Jack.

Hey tunaticer, I totally agree with that buddy however ........ I am afraid my tarp will burn ...lol

Quote Originally Posted by craigatcee View Post
    Hey tunaticer, I totally agree with that buddy however ........ I am afraid my tarp will burn ...lol
    Dont worry Craig it wouldn't take long to burn being only 30" x 30". But a 30' x 30' may take a bit longer. Sorry mate had to do it.
    Oh and on topic I reckon those burnbrite fluoros are the go. I run mine off one of those cheap jump start battery pack thingys for short trips (3 nights) and yes only when cooking and eating then the campfire provides the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    Also, I used cool white, and the insects love it. On the weekend, I was camping up near cunninghams gap, and the toilet block used yello fluro tubes and they attracted bugger all insects.. Not sure what yellow leds would look like but I would consider trying that next time around.
    That's a good idea for a camping light, I had one of those non-insect attracting yellow bulbs under the porch and it did the job....could there be a camping version?

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I always enjoyed a camp fire for lighting.......
    so did i till i was at moreton for a week a couple of months back . it rained one day/night and we were stuck in the tent with torches and cooking in the dark . now looking for a good rechargeable led lantern

Nice one Macca , just went and bought a 1900 jump start Battery unit.. Just bought 4 LED strips for 4 metre lenghts of PVC to stick on and hang along bridge of tarp and a work light for the cooking area and tent also LED...Gonna wait till the Boxing day sales to get a couple of LED torches and I think that should do the trick .

May your Beers be icy bloody cold over Christmas fellas