Thread: Smoked Chicken

Smoked Chicken

Decided on something a bit different for dinner on Sunday night. No fish in the freezer, but with the local butcher having chicken maryland on special at 4 for $10 I thought I would give it a go. Hot smoked in the bbq using hickory and mesquite wood chips. Basted with butter.
    Served with a greek style salad. Yummo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Smoked Chicken

Very nice Greg. Did you brine it beforehand? I have found that it makes a significant improvement to the moisture content and texture of the chicken

Heres one I prepared earlier along with some Beef and Pork RibsSmokin.jpg
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Hi
    Just bought a smoker like yours Horse and was wondering what sort of wood / pellets do you use and how much you put in the smoker tray for say some fish fillets or a chicken?

Cheers
    brad

Horse

What brand is your smoker, and where do you get them,looks like a ripper ! My little Kipper is a bit small now.

Hey Brad.
    I use any hardwood chips or chunks for mine. I used to buy the flash stuff but to be honest I can't really taste any big difference. Fish fillets don't need very long in the smoker. I like to brine all fish and Chicken before smoking. Even pork can use a bit of a brine or pump to keep it moist
    I tend to fill the chip box pretty full if using chunks and about 1/2 if using chips or pellets
    Get onto Misty Gully website to check out all the other toys you can get to add to your smoking kit
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Thanks Horse, Will do some experimenting.

Giffo, I got mine on sale this week at Adli for $199. http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_19947.htm

Seems to be the same build as the Hark smoker http://www.hark.com.au/index.php?rou...&product_id=79 only with 1 door instead of 2.

Hark website has some good tips and recipes. Anaonda has the Hark on special for $270

Been using a Nipper Kipper for years and like you I found it a bit small when . Did 3 kgs of half shell mussels and too about 4 or 5 burns. Good luck

PS Anaonda has the beech woodchips at 30% off for members

Yea, mine is the Aldi which is last seasons Hark smoker. They are a great unit and very easy to use. The new Hark with the two doors would be even better. Buy an A-Maze-N cold smoke generator and you can use it for cold smoking. I can do Hams and Bacon by using the smoke generator for a few hours before hitting the gas to finish it off
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Hey Horse

Do you use sawdust or pellets in the Amazen. If it's sawdust is it the normal nipper kipper type
    Brad

All that smoked tucker looks so good.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by blufish View Post
    Hey Horse

Do you use sawdust or pellets in the Amazen. If it's sawdust is it the normal nipper kipper type
    Brad
    I use pellets in mine. The sawdust has to be the right mix to burn right
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I actually didnt get that technical. Whilst I have a basic knowledge of the theory of smoking and proper smokers, this was a spur of the minute decision to 'tart up' a simple sunday dinner. Until I have my own house built I am not setting up specific smokers and wood fired pizza ovens (both very high on the agenda). So I just filled my little stainless steel chip box with some mesquite and hickory chunks, put it over the grill part of my hooded bbq, put the chicken on a wire rack in one of those foil roasting trays with the wire handles, couple of cups of water in the bottom of it, put that on the hotplate of the bbq, lit the burners under the grill till i got the temp to about 200 degrees c, basted the chook (skin side) with melted butter every 15 minutes. The only prep for the chicken was to wash it, trim as much fat off as i could, and sprinkle it lightly with sea salt flakes. One and a half hours from taking the chook out of the fridge to sitting down to a yummy meal. And the other two pieces went down just as tasty cold the next night with a garden salad and a bit of coleslaw.

Looks bloody good however you did it!