Thread: Chasing Anything in a Skirt

Chasing Anything in a Skirt

Formulated a plan to get into some of the wahoo that everyone seems to be talking about at Hutchies.
    Involved getting out early and getting started first.
    Finally a plan that worked!
    left Scarby at 3 am and bumped out to hutchies by first light. Put out a mix of hardbodies ,hex heads and a trembler.
    First Hoo just before 5.30 on the trusty Trembler.YeeHah.
    From then on we had a slow but regular procession of small to medium sized wahoo for the next few hours. They smashed any kind of skirt at any speed.
    Most were in the 110 - 120cm range but My youngest boy managed to pick up a youngster at about 90cm, which we released.
    Ended up with a score of 8 / 7 / 6 . We kept 3 fish and released the rest.
    The released ones were far more of a challenge.

We had two double hookups , losing the best fish of the day in one of them, and lost one around the skeg.

There was usual brinkmanship with the gaff as always, and the skirt collection is looking worse for wear

We found heaps of bait , but caught none of the fish near any shows.

Job done, we were back at the ramp before the wind got up ,and washed up and finished by lunchtime. Thanks Tim and Harry for agreeing to start in the middle of the night.

Happy Days!
    Brendan

Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020898.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	86709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020897.jpg 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	86710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020891.jpg 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	86711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020890.jpg 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	86712  

Thanks for the trip had a great day that second video has a great gaff shot/brain spike all in one shot

Re: Chasing Anything in a Skirt

well done mate,havnt done any trolling offshore but going to get into it this year,hope to get myself and youngfella onto a little marlin and a hoo soon

Nice work mate.

glad to see you get a few

well done

cheers

brett

Quote Originally Posted by rosco1974 View Post
    well done mate,havnt done any trolling offshore but going to get into it this year,hope to get myself and youngfella onto a little marlin and a hoo soon
    Yeah Rosco,
    We were hoping to get on to a billy today.
    We moved well away from where the hoo were and put our pushers out an changed down a gear, but the hoo still found us!
    Hopefully a little black next !
    Cheers
    Brendan

Nice work Brendan, 3 hoos in the kill tank , back home and boat washed by lunch,way to go
    Cheers Mark

Nice work ....good to see plenty of who around.

well done boys. Thanks for the report

Good work mate. Nice fish. We had a troll around point lookout yesterday for one hit but no hookups. Suspect it was a hoo from the nasty teeth marks on my trembler. Just wondering what speed you guys do when you are trolling. I usually sit on about 12 Kim's but wasn't sure if I should use different speeds when targeting different fish. Cheers Dave

Quote Originally Posted by HookWorm View Post
    Good work mate. Nice fish. We had a troll around point lookout yesterday for one hit but no hookups. Suspect it was a hoo from the nasty teeth marks on my trembler. Just wondering what speed you guys do when you are trolling. I usually sit on about 12 Kim's but wasn't sure if I should use different speeds when targeting different fish. Cheers Dave
    We used differnt speeds for different lures.
    Got them doing 10k on pushers and had hardbodies out at that speed, up to 16-18kph with bigger hex heads
    Cheers
    Brendan

Well done fellas some nice fish there was awsome weather this morning unti about 9am when it turned to total and utter shit would have been nice ride back in that chop worth every bump when you bring in fish like that great stuff

Cheers Mick.

Thanks for the tips Tenzing. Good to hear we weren't too far off the mark. Pardon my ignorance, but what is a pusher??? Also do you use teasers when chasing billfish? Cheers Dave

"pushers" are skirted lures. They Push water ahead of their rigid head. I was referring to the resin headed variety as opposed to the metal hex heads with the 49 strand wire leader running though the head and for a metre or so, that are used for toothy critters.
    We normally run a bird chasing squid type lure most of the time (drop back further when faster to get behind that first wave) .We normally chuck the witchdoctor out as well when targeting the stick faces.
    Cheers
    Brendan

Cool mate appreciate the tips. Maybe we will see you out there over summer. Cheers