Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Yak to buy?

Re: Which Yak to buy?

Rudders aren't for turning, they're for holding course going downwind or across wind. A stationary kayak will want to sit across the wind, a moving kayak will want to round up into the wind. Use this to your advantage when thinking about turning. The worst place to find out about kayaking is on a kayak fishing site. Fishing kayaks are getting so far removed from what a proper kayak is that they are dangerous (some probably even 'need' a rudder to turn because they are impossible to edge). I'd be more style specific in what you want to do, rather than brand specific (hobie/viking) at your stage. Simple things like can you store/load/carry/launch a double kayak on your own become major bugbears once you're stuck with it. If it was me, I'd buy what I want for me to use the most. If wifey is keen for a go, let her borrow it a few times and then get her one of her own. Committing to a double then only using it on your own is selling your kayaking experience short. I wouldn't suggest a canadian is a good idea on Bribie passage - they are too wind affected on open water, but great anywhere else. If you want to try one to narrow down your list, I've got a 15 foot rosco with outriggers and an electric motor downstairs that I only use once a year. Feel free to come and grab it to see how they go. I also had a 4.5m Ocean kayak up till last weekend that never had a rudder and did plenty of open water work, but she's gone to a new home now because I just got a new South African fishing kayak. No you can't borrow it (yet) - she's not really suited to beginners
    Bottom line, you need to work out a set of parameters that you will be using the boat for, then look for a boat that suits. At the moment I think you've got a couple too many wants on the list for one boat to cover them all. Good luck with it.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Thanks GBC, its certainly doing my head in with the research available online. Was so much simpler before the internet. Walk into store with cash out with kayak...job done. Thanks for the offer of the rosco.
    Store/load/carry/launch are all ok there are trolly's and kayak loaders for that. I understand what you are saying about a tandem but was trying to tic as many boxes as possible. Might just go back to the Viking Nemo and see how it goes, if it doesn't suit I can put it on ebay and get a single.
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Quote Originally Posted by FishHunter View Post
    Ask the people that tell you don't need a rudder on a kayak if they will drive a car without a steering wheel. FYI the rudder isn't for tracking but for turning and the 1st time you are trying to turn your kayak in anything more than a slight breeze or paddle with the wind from anywhere except directly from behind you will understand exactly why it needs a rudder.
    A rudder would be a must, in my opinion. I had a sit-in kayak with rudder and found it very useful to turn and to adjust the tracking - particularly when I was casting the banks and drifting with the tide (could adjust rudder with foot pedals and keep the yak running straight as I cast at the banks). They make a big difference. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers, Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Rudders aren't for turning, they're for holding course going downwind or across wind. A stationary kayak will want to sit across the wind, a moving kayak will want to round up into the wind. Use this to your advantage when thinking about turning. The worst place to find out about kayaking is on a kayak fishing site. Fishing kayaks are getting so far removed from what a proper kayak is that they are dangerous (some probably even 'need' a rudder to turn because they are impossible to edge). I'd be more style specific in what you want to do, rather than brand specific (hobie/viking) at your stage. Simple things like can you store/load/carry/launch a double kayak on your own become major bugbears once you're stuck with it. If it was me, I'd buy what I want for me to use the most. If wifey is keen for a go, let her borrow it a few times and then get her one of her own. Committing to a double then only using it on your own is selling your kayaking experience short. I wouldn't suggest a canadian is a good idea on Bribie passage - they are too wind affected on open water, but great anywhere else. If you want to try one to narrow down your list, I've got a 15 foot rosco with outriggers and an electric motor downstairs that I only use once a year. Feel free to come and grab it to see how they go. I also had a 4.5m Ocean kayak up till last weekend that never had a rudder and did plenty of open water work, but she's gone to a new home now because I just got a new South African fishing kayak. No you can't borrow it (yet) - she's not really suited to beginners
    Bottom line, you need to work out a set of parameters that you will be using the boat for, then look for a boat that suits. At the moment I think you've got a couple too many wants on the list for one boat to cover them all. Good luck with it.

GBC does raise the important point about the "reality" of buying a double yak thinking the wife/mates will be a regular starters. I have experienced the same situation. She was keen for the first month then lost interest, which left me with a big yak to cart around by myself. In the end I have also bought a single yak as well, which allows me to do my thing when wife/mates aren't up for a trip. Yes it's an added expense - but a practical one, as I've come to find out.

Cheers,

Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

Some really good info in this thread so far.

And as GBC noted, just because AKFF is a kayak fishing site does not mean that the info there is gospel. The kayak fishing sites are an eclectic mix of kayakers who want to fish and fishermen who want to kayak, makes for some interesting advise at times as they all have their many and varied opinions on all things in the open forum. Pick and choose what you believe based on solid research and you should be fine though. In saying that though, there are some very good contributors to that site who have forgotten more about kayaking than I'll ever know, strangely enough though, they don't catch fish.

So GBC, what did you get? Evo, BFS, Supalite? Pictures would be good too please.

Just for the record, i've upgraded from my viking profish to a Stealth Evolution 495 and now in the process of pimping, I'll put up some pics and descriptions when I'm finished my mods.

The viking profish was fantastic first yak for what i wanted, I did everything in it from bashing up little creeks, dams, in and out of pontoons chasing bream and fishing the open waters of the bay and surf launching to fish offshore. You're right though the lack of handles was a pain but this just means you need to adapt a different lifting technique to suit, although I know of people who have fitted extra handles very successfully.

Also, unless you're missus fishes with you on a regular basis now, I'm not sure the extra seat would be warranted as once they realise they actually need to paddle and work a few muscles, the novelty seems to wear off.

Kev

Paddleyak Kingfisher - similar to a kaskazi dorado. I'll put a pic in another topic rather than hijack this one.

Ocean Kayak Mallibu II XL.jpgToday I looked at the 2 kayaks that had made the short list.
    Viking Nemo 2+1 for $1095
    Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL for $1140 [down from $1399]
    The guys at my local Tackleworld in Toowoomba gave me such a great deal on the OK there was no way I could pass it up and drive to Brisbane.
    The 2 kayacks are very similar in every way.
    In the end it came down to the OK having metal inserts molded into the hull where the deck hardware is conected rather than just tec screws into the plastic, it already had handles along the side, I also have the option to cut an opening in the molded centre hatch and fit a lid to store larger items.
    I am very happy with my purchase and will give it a run in the pool this afternoon to get the feel for stability. Then it will be down to the Condamine for an open water trial. Once again thanks all for the help.
    Last edited by griz066; 11-12-2012 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Pic added
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

The Malibu 2XL is a very popular kayak for good reasons. Don't forget to post a picture!

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Rudders aren't for turning, they're for holding course going downwind or across wind. A stationary kayak will want to sit across the wind, a moving kayak will want to round up into the wind. Use this to your advantage when thinking about turning. The worst place to find out about kayaking is on a kayak fishing site. Fishing kayaks are getting so far removed from what a proper kayak is that they are dangerous (some probably even 'need' a rudder to turn because they are impossible to edge).
    That may be so but the day I got caught in Raby Bay in 30 knot winds and couldnt make my awesome tracking Malibu X Factor kayak turn into the wind to head back to the boat ramp I needed a rudder.
    My kayaks always turn tail to the wind as soon as I stop paddling the only time they go side on to the wind is when I am at anchor. Starting to sound a bit elitist there with all your talk about proper kayaks. The last time I checked we were all talking about fishing kayaks and afaik the best place to find out about things is from the people who actually use them whether it be a kayak or a widget driver.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Sorry, I should have qualified - 'Proper' kayaks will want to sit across the wind at rest and head up under way. Nothing elitist about it, its just about hull shape. Unfortunately most fishos care more about perceived stability and having a dry arse and plastic boat design reflects that.

grey kyacks are the fastest

There is a new shop open on the gold coast which will let you hire before you buy, they stock the complete ocean kayak and old town canoe ranges. Hire price is deducted from your purchase price if you buy. I think it is called RU4 Reel Adventure store or something along those lines, was advertised in the latest QFM magazine I am pretty sure. http://ru4realadventures.com.au/

As others have said a rudder would definitely in my list of options if going with a yak. Pedal or electric drive also makes it a lot more fishing friendly, you can't paddle very well while fighting a fish and you will be surprised how much a good bass or yellow will pull you around! Also look at the storage compartments and where they are located and how easy they are to reach.