Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brisbane Marlin & Wahoo..My partner's first trip offshore

Re: Brisbane Marlin & Wahoo..My partner's first trip offshore

3rd degree, 1 up and 1 down, unless tooth picked, swim horizontal and have more chance of making your lure spiral leading to line twist. Pakula has all the underwater video. A lot of SCGFC guys just run a double twist leader like I think Greg is getting at. You lose a few hoos to snip offs but they are easy to rig and you only lose a $0.50 hook every now and again. There is also less corrosion of the chemical sharp hooks if you are using them as there is less dissimalar metals in the rig. Mackmauler proved that many times with his variation on it with rubber bands and single hooks. You still get a few hoo but they are more flexible for the billies. I prefer them rigged on a bit of 450lb wire under the skirt for the wahoo on a shackle rig though I use split rings as they are cheaper than Ds like the Pitbull lure boys use. In wahoo territory like Hutchies I am happy to run all wire.
    Last edited by Smithy; 02-12-2012 at 06:37 AM.

Love your style Greg. Great shots Mate
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Stansy View Post
    Hey great work Greg, any day on the water is a great day. We got out early Sunday, after bit of bottom bashing we trolled the sevens area with the other 20 boats for a donut, but thats fishing. We're you using wire on your skirts and hard bodies or just mono?
    Mark
    Mark I used wire on the hard bodies and the skirts are mono to the skirt head with d shackle wire hook rigs after that. I do run some skirts that are full mono with a single hook for the billies.

Quote Originally Posted by kitty_cat View Post
    out wide mick was out with us as well and went 4-3-2 ????, we hooked 5 of our fish solid and had great fights my boy needs to lift his act loosing 2 at the boat lol .
    Yeah misread your numbers Wayne. Nothing wrong with that just need to young fella to wind harder lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhunter View Post
    Greg whats" doing" chasing marlin over reds ? some cracker fish there mate well done.

steve
    hahaha yeah steve I use to do heaps of it but now more so when the billie's, wahoo etc are in good numbers are off brisbane.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd degree View Post
    Looks like a cracker session Greg!

In terms of conversion rates, I reckon you need to run 2 hooks on these smaller fish. 1 up 1 down. A large number of smaller fish I have caught were not hooked in the mouth but nearby, like top of head and under mouth. Being only young I think they are still learning to chase bait.

Cheers
    Jim
    Jim it's certainly one of those points that everyone has their own opinion about. I think everyone has been down the same path and probably over thought it a hundred times. Some years I have prefered doubles while others I end up going back to singles. I think for me personally the singles have come out in front so far. As Smithy said the 1 up 1 down can cause the lure to spin and after a couple hours of trolling one the other day I notcied twist in the leader. The double twist leader with the single is fast and simple to rig and allows for good movement. Most of all it produces fish but a risky rig to use when wahoo are around. With hoo around at the moment I run the pushers with some wire on a shackle rig just to be cautious.

Regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    3rd degree, 1 up and 1 down, unless tooth picked, swim horizontal and have more chance of making your lure spiral leading to line twist. Pakula has all the underwater video. A lot of SCGFC guys just run a double twist leader like I think Greg is getting at. You lose a few hoos to snip offs but they are easy to rig and you only lose a $0.50 hook every now and again. There is also less corrosion of the chemical sharp hooks if you are using them as there is less dissimalar metals in the rig. Mackmauler proved that many times with his variation on it with rubber bands and single hooks. You still get a few hoo but they are more flexible for the billies. I prefer them rigged on a bit of 450lb wire under the skirt for the wahoo on a shackle rig though I use split rings as they are cheaper than Ds like the Pitbull lure boys use. In wahoo territory like Hutchies I am happy to run all wire.

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.