Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New fishing qld license?

Re: New fishing qld license?

I guess Im just cranky that I cant catch anything.
    I bought a 2nd hand fishing Kayak/surfski thing. Took it out on Saturaday on Cooroman Creek area (despite the croc risk)
    Started real early in the day, trolled hard bodies across sand banks, bank edges etc. Cast into snags, rocks. Fished blades, soft palstics into any likely areas I saw, trolled again, fished 5 hrs for not even a touch.

Quote Originally Posted by aus2045 View Post
    I guess Im just cranky that I cant catch anything.
    I bought a 2nd hand fishing Kayak/surfski thing. Took it out on Saturaday on Cooroman Creek area (despite the croc risk)
    Started real early in the day, trolled hard bodies across sand banks, bank edges etc. Cast into snags, rocks. Fished blades, soft palstics into any likely areas I saw, trolled again, fished 5 hrs for not even a touch.
    Maybe you need a mentor to help you out, Down here in nsw it dose'nt get any better, Even with a fishing license. good luck. cheers Ron.

I dont think im doing anything wrong, I truely believe there are just no fish there anymore.
    Anything we can do to improve that, including licenencing and spending that money on restocking has to be good

If I may be so bold, aus2045, there is an old saying that goes pretty much like this:

"20% of the fishermen catch 80% of the fish".

I think someone first said that back in the days when JC was fishing with his disciples!

Unfortunately, from your comments, it seems that you currently fall into the "other 80% who between them only catch 20% of the fish".

Your challenge is to get yourself into the top 20%. Whether you are good enough to learn what it takes or not is a question that only you can answer.

Fish are getting smarter. As fishers we have to learn and adapt our strategies and techniques so we stay ahead of the game.

When soft plastics hit the scene, I had some of the best sessions I have ever had on snapper in Moreton Bay. Could have bagged out several times even under the old bag limit of 20 fish!

Took a while to get the hang of it, had to work out the best time in the tidal cycle at particular locations, but once I had it wired it became pretty predictable. So much so that I had to stop fishing with 2 rods and go back to one.

I have been fishing the Moreton Bay area for close to 40 years, and I have caught my PB's in several species in the bay area in the last 5 years. What does that say about the state of our fisheries? In one of the most heavily fished locations in thee whole State!

I have also caught species such as threadfin in the Brisbane river that I had never caught in the 30 years before. Big ones, too.

I have many people say to me what you said, that there are no fish to be caught any more.

I usually just smile to myself because I know that i have just talked to another one of the "80-percent-ers". I guess someone has to make up the numbers in that category......

Just as long as is isn't me!

Having fishing licenses will not get you into the 20% Club as far as I can see.

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I think its just this area, I know there are heaps of fish down SEQ, I was in that 20% when I lived there. And always catch some fish when I head down that way.

You are prob right that a lic will not fix anything, I think i am just looking for ideas to fix the fishery where I live. Maybe i am just a poor fisherman, but I seem to catch fish when I go both a long way north and south of Central Qld.

I think im just having a little vent out of frustration tday.

Go and join one of he local fishing Clubs. Volunteer as a deckie on someone's boat. ANSA have a couple of Clubs up that way that are pretty active. Or, do a guided fishing trip or two and suss out what the guide is doing to put the clients onto fish. Pump them for info!

You will soon find out what the deal is in that area. I know blokes up there that have no trouble catching a decent feed and you should be no different.

I do hear your frustration.

But there is another paradigm that you need to think about. If what you have been doing has not been successful, then if you keep doing the same thing again and again, you can expect the same results.

You need to change something!

Good luck!

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

as others have said aus, and maybe it is just your frustration at a day on the water with no results. I think we have all been there at some point in our fishing lives.

Prime example.... I fished the most prehistoric and mangrove jack looking creek in Central Queensland some time ago. I threw my arm off with every possible lure and pestered every single tree, structure for kilometers. Not even a follow.

Had a chat to a local.

Next time I hit that creek was after dark with live prawn and mullet. Mangrove Jack-a-thon.

Whenever I have a bad run, I go " back to basics ". Remember the " good old days " and how I fished then. But as said above, we all need to " go with the flow ", change tactics and technic.

Pop down to Roslyn Bay and jig up some livies and throw them in the water on the bottom side of The Causeway ...... on a run out tide......

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by aus2045 View Post
    I think we need a Qld fish licence. As long as the funds are used to enforce closed seasons, green zones, and start estuary restocking program's so that there are some fish to try for. At the moment it's a free-for-all fish murdering mindset and that shows in the fishing. Despite our wonderful coastline, our fishing is amongst he worst in the world. Most recreational fishers never catch anything, myself included. Why? Years of raping the waters, overfishing. It's time to fix it and licences could fund it.
    Plenty of fish to catch if you do some homework first..just pulling up and tossing some bait in the never has and never will be a success story.

So you want to pay more money so that the Govt can do what they are supposed to be doing already? Enforcement is already part of a Govt's duties.

Found a little graph for you aus..
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

even if they did introduce a rfl..I won't pay it. They can shove it.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    even if they did introduce a rfl..I won't pay it. They can shove it.
    A lot of people will be in the same boat (pardon the pun) I reckon.
    What's the point if there's nobody around to enforce the requirement.
    How many active Fisheries Inspectors are there now?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    A lot of people will be in the same boat (pardon the pun) I reckon.
    What's the point if there's nobody around to enforce the requirement.
    How many active Fisheries Inspectors are there now?
    back in the 1850's some blokes also protested about unfair licenses...told the authorities to shove it..the spirit of them lives on.

back in the 1850's some blokes also protested about unfair licenses...told ..the spirit of them lives on.
    I think 22 of them died telling the authorities to shove it.
    ~~~><))))*>

Plenty of fish to catch if you do some homework first..just pulling up and tossing some bait in the never has and never will be a success story.
    Ah so that's what I am doing wrong. Bugger. Perhaps I need to actually think when I go fishing. Hmmmmmmm.
    Seriously though I can't wait to get the knowledge to progress to the 20% category.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    I think 22 of them died telling the authorities to shove it.
    yep..bloody heroes..just a pity some pathetic union has flogged their flag.
    BUT...it has not changed much in all those years..Govts. just want to slam the working man with more fees and taxes.