Thread: Popper Casting Rod / Reel Combo

Popper Casting Rod / Reel Combo

Loking to purchase a popper casting rod that is suitable for casting to pelagic species etc. on a trip arranged to Northern and Western Australia. Would like to be able to use the same for other purposes such as Jigging, live baiting and such. Your advice is eagerly sought.

Re: Popper Casting Rod / Reel Combo

hey mate, if the budget is of no concern how about a stella 10,000 matched with a g loomis pro blue 15-30lb.

I have a Stella 10000sw and a Loomis pro blue.

Nice set up but the rod is too soft for jigging and throwing poppers. For bottom bashing OK, but only in shallowish water and not with a lead of more than 4 oz.

Rob.

Rod - I would reccomend the Daiwa Demon Blood range. I used the demon blood 702 as a loner a few weeks back in FNQ and matched it with my saragosa 10000 spooled with 65lb power pro - awesome. lightweight and super strong. it knocked over 25 kilo GT's with surprising ease. i was in jones tackle last week and they the whole range, 702 762 and 8xx - they range from $350 on up but will definitely be my next upgrade over the Shimano tcurves i am using now - they are too heavy and when you are throwing poppers and stick baits all day, weight is everything.and
    Reel - I am loving my new saragosa 10000 as the reel, the 18000 is 20 grams heavier for no real gain and the 8000 isnt built the same, too weak. The 10000 has plenty of drag and hold just under 300 meters of 65 lb braid so works well for me.

I've had the Diawa Demon Blood 702 - Bloody rod was cursed, cursed I tell you - broke it three times First two were my fault, the last time it shattered into three pieces ..... think it was fractured somewhere along the way). Really loved it tho and used it for most applications, however had a shorter Catalina Jig stick to swap it with when needed.

Now have a Samurai Reaction Pop 10 (50-80 lb). At 7"6' it would be a bit on the long side for jigging, but definately would stop any monsters when live baiting.

You're really asking for one rod to do three applications. Maybe pick the rod to suit the fishing you're more likely to do the most of and use it as best you can for the other styles of fishing you want to do? A popper/stickbait rod is not going to have much use in any finesse fishing situation.

Cheers,

Might help if you mentioned what sort of price range you're looking at.
    Jim