Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qld Rec fishing support. ><> ><>

Exclamation Qld Rec fishing support. ><> ><>

Folks, the below is taken from Hansard. Qld parliament, 27th November 2012.

The speech to the parliament was made by Mark Robinson MP, Member for Cleveland.

Recreational Fishing

Dr ROBINSON (Cleveland—LNP) (11.53 am):

Queensland is a great state, with greatopportunities for recreational fishers. The Newman government is getting on with delivering for recreational fishers in Cleveland and all over Queensland. As promised, we are delivering on the net licence buyback that has great benefit to both recreational fishers and commercial fishers.

The Marine Infrastructure Fund established by the LNP government will deliver new boat ramps, pontoons, fishing platforms, artificial reefs and other measures for Queensland’s population of almost one million recreational fishers and boaties.

And we are working with the state’s fishing organisations and clubs to deliver good outcomes. I commend the minister for fisheries for his good work in this regard.

We have also stuck to our promise that in government we would not create any new marine reserves nor increase the area of marine national parks, green zones that have unfairly locked out recreational fishers. This is a promise that the government is making good on.

We have said ‘no more’ to international green groups who want to stop sustainable recreational fishing. This government is protecting the rights of recreational fishers in Queensland’s state waters. We are also standing with our federal colleagues in opposing the federal government’s draconian bioregional marine reserves that will have little real environmental benefit but will destroy the livelihood of hundreds of small fishing business families, damage the Queensland economy and strip recreational fishers of the right to fish sustainably.

I have been an advocate of recreational fishing long before I entered this chamber in 2009. I learned to fish with my father from aged five, and through my marine science degree I learnt how we can fish sustainably. I believe strongly that the rights of recreational fishers in Queensland to access the best fishing areas and to fish sustainably must be secured, protected and restored wherever possible by applying more scrutiny, accountability and evidence based approaches to Queensland’s state marine reserve system.

The trend to needlessly lock away good fishing areas from recreational fishing activity has now been stopped in Queensland’s state waters. But I believe we need to go further and implement approaches that support accessibility and accountability with an evidence base using risk assessment approaches. That is why I was happy to be the sponsoring member to an e-petition tabled today from a recreational fisherman, Tim Whittle, in my electorate of Cleveland that would achieve this aim. The issue is that the rights of recreational fishers in the last five years have been trampled on as governments have caved in to pressure from Greens politics and internationally funded green groups like the Pew foundation.

Green politics has created three falsehoods (1) that there are no fish left in Queensland and that we are fishing unsustainably; (2) that the Queensland mum and dad recreational fishers are vandals of the sea; and (3) that the only solution is to lock recreational fishers out through the blunt instrument and the one-size-fits-all approach of marine reserve. This myopic approach has resulted in the latest federal government plan to create the world’s biggest no-fishing area all around Australia.

More marine reserves is all they know, and they are rolling them out without any evidence base that they are best practice. In fact, in the face of recent evidence, they are not working well when it comes to fisheries management—a point that I will take up in the parliament at a future opportunity.

With respect to federal waters, I applaud Tony Abbott for showing leadership, balance and
    characteristic pragmatism on this issue federally, with the introduction of the private member’s bill Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Amendment (Making Marine Parks Accountable) Bill 2012. The opposition leader and coalition ministers for fisheries and the environment, together with Queensland Senator Ron Boswell and Queensland MP George Christensen and others, have put together this bill and introduced it into the federal parliament to make marine reserves more accountable to fishers and the community. While Tony Abbott is proposing practical conservation that protects the rights of recreational fishers and that supports marine industries, the Queensland seafood industry and local jobs, the federal government is proposing the largest fishing lockout area in the world.

I urge federal Environment Minister Burke to reject the controls of foreign international green groups and the Senate Greens and to reverse his job-destroying decision.

And this new round of marine reserves will not be the end. We know that the same international green groups want more. More deals will be done—for example, the temperate east zone from northern New South Wales and waters outside Moreton Bay to Hervey Bay. These will follow, but it must stop. While the process cannot be undone, there needs to be considerably more flexible management options that better meet marine biodiversity and fisheries management—for example, easing restrictions in carefully selected marine national parks. This would have many benefits. This more open approachwould assist with getting tourism back on track, it would create more jobs and it would also get our national parks back on track. In conclusion, the LNP is getting on with delivering for recreational fishers.

From Hansard. Qld Parliament. 27th November 2012. Copyright acknowledged.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Qld Rec fishing support. ><> ><>

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Folks, the below is taken from Hansard. Qld parliament, 27th November 2012.

The speech to the parliament was made by Mark Robinson MP, Member for Cleveland.

Recreational Fishing

Dr ROBINSON (Cleveland—LNP) (11.53 am):

Queensland is a great state, with greatopportunities for recreational fishers. The Newman government is getting on with delivering for recreational fishers in Cleveland and all over Queensland. As promised, we are delivering on the net licence buyback that has great benefit to both recreational fishers and commercial fishers.

The Marine Infrastructure Fund established by the LNP government will deliver new boat ramps, pontoons, fishing platforms, artificial reefs and other measures for Queensland’s population of almost one million recreational fishers and boaties.

And we are working with the state’s fishing organisations and clubs to deliver good outcomes. I commend the minister for fisheries for his good work in this regard.

We have also stuck to our promise that in government we would not create any new marine reserves nor increase the area of marine national parks, green zones that have unfairly locked out recreational fishers. This is a promise that the government is making good on.

We have said ‘no more’ to international green groups who want to stop sustainable recreational fishing. This government is protecting the rights of recreational fishers in Queensland’s state waters. We are also standing with our federal colleagues in opposing the federal government’s draconian bioregional marine reserves that will have little real environmental benefit but will destroy the livelihood of hundreds of small fishing business families, damage the Queensland economy and strip recreational fishers of the right to fish sustainably.

I have been an advocate of recreational fishing long before I entered this chamber in 2009. I learned to fish with my father from aged five, and through my marine science degree I learnt how we can fish sustainably. I believe strongly that the rights of recreational fishers in Queensland to access the best fishing areas and to fish sustainably must be secured, protected and restored wherever possible by applying more scrutiny, accountability and evidence based approaches to Queensland’s state marine reserve system.

The trend to needlessly lock away good fishing areas from recreational fishing activity has now been stopped in Queensland’s state waters. But I believe we need to go further and implement approaches that support accessibility and accountability with an evidence base using risk assessment approaches. That is why I was happy to be the sponsoring member to an e-petition tabled today from a recreational fisherman, Tim Whittle, in my electorate of Cleveland that would achieve this aim. The issue is that the rights of recreational fishers in the last five years have been trampled on as governments have caved in to pressure from Greens politics and internationally funded green groups like the Pew foundation.

Green politics has created three falsehoods (1) that there are no fish left in Queensland and that we are fishing unsustainably; (2) that the Queensland mum and dad recreational fishers are vandals of the sea; and (3) that the only solution is to lock recreational fishers out through the blunt instrument and the one-size-fits-all approach of marine reserve. This myopic approach has resulted in the latest federal government plan to create the world’s biggest no-fishing area all around Australia.

More marine reserves is all they know, and they are rolling them out without any evidence base that they are best practice. In fact, in the face of recent evidence, they are not working well when it comes to fisheries management—a point that I will take up in the parliament at a future opportunity.

With respect to federal waters, I applaud Tony Abbott for showing leadership, balance and
    characteristic pragmatism on this issue federally, with the introduction of the private member’s bill Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Amendment (Making Marine Parks Accountable) Bill 2012. The opposition leader and coalition ministers for fisheries and the environment, together with Queensland Senator Ron Boswell and Queensland MP George Christensen and others, have put together this bill and introduced it into the federal parliament to make marine reserves more accountable to fishers and the community. While Tony Abbott is proposing practical conservation that protects the rights of recreational fishers and that supports marine industries, the Queensland seafood industry and local jobs, the federal government is proposing the largest fishing lockout area in the world.

I urge federal Environment Minister Burke to reject the controls of foreign international green groups and the Senate Greens and to reverse his job-destroying decision.

And this new round of marine reserves will not be the end. We know that the same international green groups want more. More deals will be done—for example, the temperate east zone from northern New South Wales and waters outside Moreton Bay to Hervey Bay. These will follow, but it must stop.[COLOR="red"] While the process cannot be undone, there needs to be considerably more flexible management options that better meet marine biodiversity and fisheries management—for example, easing restrictions in carefully selected marine national parks. This would have many benefits. This more open approachwould assist with getting tourism back on track, it would create more jobs and it would also get our national parks back on track. In conclusion, the LNP is getting on with delivering for recreational fishers.

From Hansard. Qld Parliament. 27th November 2012. Copyright acknowledged.

cheers LP
    Mmmmmm I thought they said they would undo it if we voted for them. Well we've down our bit. How about you do yours!

No, that part you highlighted is the Federal Governments doing.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Gee seems to have left out all the bits where they have screwed us over, I'm sure it was just an unfortunate oversight...........

The regulations governing what can and cant be done in various zones can be changed quite easily.

It is the political will to actually do it when a new Government comes to power that is hard to find!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

What a con job, they got a 70 odd seat majority, just bring in 1 rod for rec anglers in green zones in stead of telling us how good they are to rec anglers then kicking us in the guts.
    ~~~><))))*>

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    What a con job, they got a 70 odd seat majority, just bring in 1 rod for rec anglers in green zones in stead of telling us how good they are to rec anglers then kicking us in the guts.
    I agree, though I'm not sure about this "kick in the guts" thing.

I know that on many occasions it was said before the Election that outcomes Mark was talking about were predicated on Mark getting the Fisheries portfolio, which he didn't.

It is also clear (at least to those who would look) that Mark is doing whatever he can wherever he can to further the cause of the Rec Angler. The Newman Government has it's hands pretty full right now, as there is some shite going on which affects the WHOLE Electorate. Politics is a World of hurt if you're not careful, and Mark seems to me to be doing just that - treading carefully.

Meanwhile, I hope people are doing some proactive things, like writing to their Member, ringing them, writing to local papers, jumping on Facebook and commenting on MP's FB sites (most of them are there now, and it is a very effective form of communication), and, dare I say it, putting petitions together and getting shot down for it (sorry, I meant collecting signatures!)

And who knows what might happen with the current bed hopping. Maybe McVeigh will be pulled by his roots and go join Katter? Who might get the Fisheries job?

In any case, we will achieve a great deal more by being proactive than just whingeing at every opportunity.
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    I agree, though I'm not sure about this "kick in the guts" thing.

I know that on many occasions it was said before the Election that outcomes Mark was talking about were predicated on Mark getting the Fisheries portfolio, which he didn't.

Go and ask some of the Qld rec anglers who spent years of their own time and own money volunteering and working on fishing enhancement programs how they feel right know. Or read any Qld fishing magazine.

Many occasions? That is not true at all Tim. He always said "the LNP would deliver" or "a Newman Government would" or "my party would".

Your petition is a good idea but true to form MP Mark just used you and it to grandstand for his own political advantage. Half of your petition delt with opening up green zones but he hardly mentioned that and devoted 95% of his speach to telling us how good they are to us and attacking his opponents. If they realy wanted to they can open up some Qld green zones to rec anglers (1 rod) while they do the science, they could do that with 1 stroke of a pen. In fact that was their exact public policy until Campbell "a BCF kind of guy" Newman came along. Even at the Tinnie and Tackle Show just before the election we were being assured this. On the 1 rod in a green zone issue, MP Mark shook my hand, looked me in the eye and lied to me.
    Cheers
    ~~~><))))*>

Selective memory.

I spoke with Mark that day and he reiterated to me that it was NOT a released policy, that he was expecting it to be released but that when Newman turned up unexpectedly at T&T things were thrown into disarray and all that he was able to get onto press was that "things would be made easier." He DID point it out that all was dependent on his being Fisheries Minister, though he wasn't at pains to point it out that day, and why should he have? If you cannot remember, that doesn't mean it didn't happen (unless your name is Julia...)

Mark did expect it to be released, still wants it. I know the man well, and if you think he's lying or was lying, you do him (and yourself) a disservice. But you go ahead, I don't mind people sticking their feet in their mouths.

I know what he f####n told me Tim. What's realy disapointing is how easily he lies too.
    He has got you just where he wants you hasn't he. Go check out the ECQ electrol donation returns for the last election, $70k to stand for the LNP my ase, that's what he told you right?try $3k.
    ~~~><))))*>

well Mark..have you signed the LNP pledge? I thought all sitting MLA's pledged to serve the Queen and the people of Qld..not the autocrat. Newman has made one big mistake..he has handed Qld to the ALP in the next Fed election..hence another 3 years of ALP at the Fed level...if you don't win in Qld you cannot win a Fed election.

As I stated in another thread..we went from one mob of morons to another mob of morons ..this mob is led by an autocrat with willing henchmen..sad state of affairs.

"
    I know that on many occasions it was said before the Election that outcomes Mark was talking about were predicated on Mark getting the Fisheries portfolio, which he didn't. "

No wonder he got the ass then Timi, making promises he had no authority to be making. Bet he won't go doing that again in a hurry !!!.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    "
    No wonder he got the ass then Timi, making promises he had no authority to be making. Bet he won't go doing that again in a hurry !!!.

So now when the next election comes along we all know where we stand with this guy.............and his stooges.
    ~~~><))))*>

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    "
    I know that on many occasions it was said before the Election that outcomes Mark was talking about were predicated on Mark getting the Fisheries portfolio, which he didn't. "

faster than you can say ...... ELECTION! - put your money on it

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Same old rusted on ALP prunes, same old negative bullshit. ( edited... personal ! ) Why don't you try actually doing something instead of putting all that energy into whingeing? You might actually achieve something instead of needing to hang around your keyboards all day waiting like seagulls. Clearly you have nothing better to do than wait for my occasional post, while I'm trying to do something, you lurch about waiting to pick away like a flock of smelly old vultures. See you in a month or so, I know you guys will have done nothing, and changed nothing. I at least have a chance, where there's a will...
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 17-12-2012 at 07:37 PM.