Thread: Personal Epirb

Personal Epirb

How popular are the Personal EPIRBS for users of PWC/Jetskis?
    Should I have one being in north Moreton Bay?

Re: Personal Epirb

There are quite of alot of yakkers who go offshore that use them.
    If it was me and my jetski was sinking, Id be happy to have an Epirb and a handheld radio to call for mayday.

I run a personal epirb AND a full size epirb on my PWC.

I have one must have IMO. Just make sure its not one of the ones that go off if they are in water

Thanks, Guys.
    MSQ Info classes Moreton Bay as 'partially smooth', which is another matter, but means an EPIRB is not essential.
    My thoughts are that wearing a personal beacon would be more useful, if it is attached to your PFD2, than a standard EPIRB stored in the fwd compartment.
    Stacking it and losing the jetski is my concern. (Regardless of the kill lanyard being used)

Heaps of info about EPIRBs and PLBs on this blog site vhfradiocourse.com

Just make sure the PLB you buy floats, that's why EPIRBs are preferred as they must float to get approval.
    Peter
    engage, educate, encourage

Quote Originally Posted by FatBuoy View Post
    Stacking it and losing the jetski is my concern. (Regardless of the kill lanyard being used)
    I think you are absolutely right.

I have had a scare when swimming hard to get to my ski and the waves and wind kept taking it away.

Thankfully my son on a second ski was able to take me to it.

Darren

Don't want to see like i'm having a go here but i use my ski for surfing during cyclone swells as well as fishing and if you are using a ski in open water and don't have the ability to swim back to it after you come off (even at flat chat and the ski ending up a fair distance away) then I would suggest fishing off a boat and NOT a ski as you WILL fall off sooner or later and you MUST have the ability to swim back to it in any and all conditions.
    Having said that having a personal one would come in handy if you fall knock yourself out/ hurt yourself and then are unable to get back to your ski.

Thanks, Agree 100%
    Luckily I am pretty good swimming in the sea, have even swam to retrieve lures snagged on beacons.
    But coming from a 23 Longboat and 28 Bertram, where its hard to get airborne, I am seeking info and opinions.

Perhaps a PLB is a little extreme. No need to disturb Qantas. Maybe keep a smoke flair in a pocket on the PFD?
    Pauly

Maybe I'm over cautious, but given the relatively low cost of such devices I have no issue running both. I've very fit and there's no issues with swimming to retrieve etc, but as I said, small investment for piece of mind. Cop a knock to your head or break your back, and a PLB could be a life saver.

I also run the full compliment of offshore flares. Storage space is ample in large modern skis, so for me at least, it's a no brainer. Each to his own though

Woo,
    Being up in the northern bay, have you made a round trip of Bribie Island?
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Sure have mate, many times. Very enjoyable to take the outside in the morning and enjoy lipping and "teasing" the swells, then a bite to eat inside the bar, then a run home down the passage stopping off for a sneaky chilled beer at Mission Point.
    Bliss.