Thread: Thinking of shortening handle on VS

Thinking of shortening handle on VS

I am thinking of shortening the handle on my VS.

I find it just too long, I feel like an organ grinder when I am using it.

For me it is just too long and at 40" retrieve per turn I think I can afford to lose a bit.

The hole itself is roughly 2.5 mm.

What do you think about simply drilling another hole below the main one, adding the thread, moving the handle down?

vshandle.jpg

The handle itself is the same would have to lose a bit so the new hole has a flush seating, but only about .5mm if that.

Dan

Re: Thinking of shortening handle on VS

if you are not comfortable with it at the moment, i cant see a problem with giving it a go, you can also go back to the original hole. Remember, It will directly effect the amount of torque or leverage you can apply on a fish although the adjustment may be better suited to your needs. I would also coat the fresh metal with soemthing to revent corrosion or rust. line retrieved per crank remains the same regardless of handle length.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    if you are not comfortable with it at the moment, i cant see a problem with giving it a go, you can also go back to the original hole. Remember, It will directly effect the amount of torque or leverage you can apply on a fish although the adjustment may be better suited to your needs. I would also coat the fresh metal with soemthing to revent corrosion or rust. line retrieved per crank remains the same regardless of handle length.
    Thanks, I was wondering about that, good advice.

Yeah for me it is more about the ease of cranking the handle rather than the retrieve rate, not sure but I was confused with what I seen on the two speed Alvey reels that simply have two handles of differing length.

But yeah the reel is made for constantly catching big fish and I feel I can sacrifice a bit off the top end, definitely has good drag.

If it means I lose a little torque and have to crank a bit faster that is probably better for me because at present the large handle is a bit clumsy, i.e cranking fast then slow then fast, I find it difficult to crank fast, especially when you have a fish on and using left hand retrieve when right handed .

Might buy one of those replacement round knobs too, easier to manage.
    Dan

PS. You might also note I would get a fab shop to do this as you can see by the photo my tools are rather past their use by date (those I can still find), not sure but somewhere along the line I managed to spill salt water in the tool box, rest is history.

The shorter handle will give you more less power and more speed. On big fish I would stick to the original handle
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

As owners of the VS know how tight the reel is with the seals they have and they don’t freewheel like other reels.I think you will get a tired wrist.