Thread: Talapia

Talapia

hi all
    where can i catch talapia at sommer set and with what bait
    cheers snap

Re: Talapia

Where can't you catch talapia at Somerset would be a harder question to answer.
    But when I think real hard .........I don't recall ever catching them very far from the edge or in deep water (30ft+) at Somerset, or any other lake. Garden worms would be my 1st pick for bait, then peeled prawns. Live shrimp would also work but it would seem like such a waste.

If you want to try Nth Pine I'll give you a spot where you can't miss out on talapia.
    ~~~><))))*>

"If you want to try Nth Pine I'll give you a spot where you can't miss out on tilapia"

That would be anywhere in the water

Well I have to ask. They are reputed as good eating, can anyone confirm that? I have never targeted them but they are a regular by catch at somerset on anything. As Micky D says any where around the bank, if the winter is real cold you can literally walk around with a net and scoop them up near the bank.

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Well I have to ask. They are reputed as good eating, can anyone confirm that? I have never targeted them but they are a regular by catch at somerset on anything. As Micky D says any where around the bank, if the winter is real cold you can literally walk around with a net and scoop them up near the bank.
    Not that I like being a party pooper...but hopefully helping you avoid a fine...it's illegal to eat them, because it is illegal to be in possession of them...even their fillets...they are a catch kill and dispose prospect only.

I think eating them makes more "sense" but them's the rules apparently; potentially with big fines attached.

Experts are welcome to correct if I am wrong on that!

Tim

Classed as a noxious species, catch, kill and dispose of - no possession allowed.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...could-cost-you

http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/28_13879.htm

they eat them in phillipines etc and they even farm them for food

From what I've heard nobody has ever or will ever be fined for catching, killing, filleting and eating Tilapia. The law is rediculous. You cannot transport them live, or return them to the water alive or dead. The fillets are available in Woolworths, so I can't see how anybody could be charged for possessing them
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Heard a rumor from a very informed person that "those" people will turn a blind eye to Tilapia being on the dinner plate.

Yeah you can buy them in Asian stores too imported and in a plastic bag.

I have said many times they are great salted then deep fried crispy, eaten with some chilli dipping sauce or any sauce that you can whip up, bit of salad on the side if you like.

Mate they are none too bad with a beer I can tell you, there was none left.

Far better eating them I think, they are not a bad looking fish and it is bound to drop populations.

On light gear they gotta be a bit of fun too, and if you got kids then doubt they would have trouble catching one.

Dan

Angling for them has no effect on the population as they simply breed too quickly.

At a presentation we had from Fisheries, they said in an experiment they poisoned disused flooded quarry that was rife with them.
    Within a few months they were back, almost certainly by being deliberately re-stocked which is the main way their get spread.

Promoting them being caught & eaten will simply encourage more idiots from spreading them into new waters. Most Qld river systems don't have them and fisheries would like to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Personally, I agree with them.

Mate fish don't swim when filleted, nor do they breed.

As your a bass fisherman I am surprised you think eating them will increase populations.

As for deliberate re stocking a I am almost 100% sure you got no evidence of that as it sounds a bit off the map.

They poisoned a quarry? And the fish came back? and they say someone actually put fish fingerlings back in there so they could fish a quarry for them?

Dan