Thread: New to Nanofil

New to Nanofil

Hi all,

daft question, just bought some Berkley Nanofil to use for the first time and was wondering if anyone else using it ties a mono/fluro leader or can you tie straight to lure/jighead?

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries

Re: New to Nanofil

I use 6lb Nanofil and 8lb fluro for flattys. I tie a double uni knot with 11 twists of the Nanofil and 7 twists of the flouro. I am very careful when cinching up the knot to ensure there are no issues. Joining a leader to Nano can be tricky at 1st but if you persevere it is great stuff. Be careful of fraying though, it tends to do it after a while.
    I wouldn’t recommend you use straight to jig head. You need the leader for both shock resistance and abrasion resistance. If you deep hook a decent fish it will quickly wear through your nano.
    Good luck, I love the stuff

yea as Funchy said, i use 8lb & 6lb also and love it. Never knots up, casts a mile and it seems to have just a little more stretch than braids which i like.
    You would want to join it to a good fluro leader anyways for the visibility factor.

You should always use a leader with these superlines - they are opaque (thin but still opaque) Probably just as important is that they have poor abrasion resistance , so you need the mono or FC leader to protect the main line . Also it's not that easy to tie a loop knot in braid .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks for your replies. I am quite used to leaders with normal braid, just wasn't sure about the stretch/abrasion propoerties of nanofil.

Cheers