Thread: Eating freshwater fish

Eating freshwater fish

Hi all, how are you?

Im heading up to Lake Barambah next weekend. This will be my first freshwater experience so I am looking foward to trying to catch some bass, yellow belly and some red claw.

Main question i have is if i do catch a few fish, is it worth while keeping one for a feed? I have heard many different opinons on freshwater fish in general, so would lke to start a conversation on.

Is it all good/bad? what is better than another? should i prepare freshwater fish differently?

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

Re: Eating freshwater fish

There's some info in a recent thread on Somerset.
    You should do ok, a mate caught 30 bass there on blades last Sat morning. Remember you can only keep 2 bass for the trip and you need to get a SIP licence.
    ~~~><))))*>

Hi Rob. If the water is in good condition, the yellas should be very nice. Ideal size is just over legal to around 50cm depending on body condition. if they're well fed, theyre likely to have a bit of fat over this size. No problem though ... just take a nice fillet and skin it. The fat will be along the top of the fillet and will just roll away with the edge of the knife. Good luck.

Thanks alot fellas, I got a fair bit of info off that Somerset thread too, thanks Mike.
    I just have to get out there and catch a couple now.
    Thanks
    Rob