Thread: at last a tackle bag minus zippers!

at last a tackle bag minus zippers!

hi all. this is for those who, like me, have got the craps with spending good money on less than good tackle bags. sure they look great in the shop and even a few months later if you're lucky, but how many otherwise good bags are let down by having zippers that eventually fail?
    i was out this morning looking for non-brass tarp grommets (a mission on it's own) as my boat "tent" is in need of repairs. whilst at down under camping i found my new tackle bag. brand name: precision pak, price $45 and NOT ONE ZIPPER!!! closes with velcro (and plenty of it) and has stainless drain holes in bottom. sturdy construction and i reckon this one will last for years.
    oh, and if you are after non-brass tarp grommets, dont try down under camping, clark rubber, repco, autobarn or bcf. dont buy the ebay ones for $18 delivered either. bunnings sell a 10 pack for $2.20. think i spent more on fuel looking for them...
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Re: at last a tackle bag minus zippers!

Dave, could you post up some pics (or are they already on here?) of your tent-a-tinnie, hobo-in-a-boat set up please. Just out of interest.

Cheers,
    Jim

no worries jim. love your description. there is a few more in "my tinny" album in my pic gallery.

20120610_170821.jpg

20120715_083759.jpg

It's a sad, sad day in the world of fishing when a man struggles to find a wicker cane creel and some 35mm film canisters to store his tackle in.

No zips, no rust, no Velcro.......just 100% street cred when he pulls it out of his boot at the local fishing spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    It's a sad, sad day in the world of fishing when a man struggles to find a wicker cane creel and some 35mm film canisters to store his tackle in.

No zips, no rust, no Velcro.......just 100% street cred when he pulls it out of his boot at the local fishing spot.
    naaaa. it's a sad day when you dig into that cane creel and find a heap of rusted tackle and it's a happy day when your hooks dont fit in one of those little film canisters

Ha ha, was going to say that Muddy wouldn't have a hook small enough to fit in a film canister - but he's tackling up for Fresh Water now!!

Good thing you're distracted by this thread Davo, 'cos you're copping a flogging on the Hervey Bay M & G thread!

Cheers,
    Jim

Psst.... Perry .... just pass his shirts out - 1 to each boat.

The new Ausfish M&G Flags --- can't miss em!

thanks for the heads up jim

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    Ha ha, was going to say that Muddy wouldn't have a hook small enough to fit in a film canister - but he's tackling up for Fresh Water now!!

Good thing you're distracted by this thread Davo, 'cos you're copping a flogging on the Hervey Bay M & G thread!

Cheers,

Good politicians do this all the time Hoggy....... If you're being flogged about something, you create a diversionary tactic to make people talk about something else, in this case a tackle bag.

TOL

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post

Woohooo. I finally have street cred.
    And here I was just thinking I was a tight ass and just old fashioned (especially considering everu-one tells me I'm a tight ass and old fashioned) when in fact I have street cred. What a ripper of a morning this is turning out to be.
    But I may not have full street cred. I use Eno tins for sinkers and a 2 tier bakelite Alvey tackle thingo for hooks and sinkers....but they all go in the cane creel.
    What size/shape cane creel is best for cred? I assume a leather shoulder strap is the go?? I hope so because I couldn't be bothered changing any of the leather should straps.

I use the 35mm film tins for fuses and o-ring grease and neverseize and stuff like that in the tool box.
    I reckon the 35mm film containers would be too easy to lose out of a cane creel. Especially when you shove the hose in there to hose all the bream and whiting and flathead blood out.

How much 'cred' would I have if I took the split cane rods fishing?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    hi all. this is for those who, like me, have got the craps with spending good money on less than good tackle bags. sure they look great in the shop and even a few months later if you're lucky, but how many otherwise good bags are let down by having zippers that eventually fail?
    i was out this morning looking for non-brass tarp grommets (a mission on it's own) as my boat "tent" is in need of repairs. whilst at down under camping i found my new tackle bag. brand name: precision pak, price $45 and NOT ONE ZIPPER!!! closes with velcro (and plenty of it) and has stainless drain holes in bottom. sturdy construction and i reckon this one will last for years.
    oh, and if you are after non-brass tarp grommets, dont try down under camping, clark rubber, repco, autobarn or bcf. dont buy the ebay ones for $18 delivered either. bunnings sell a 10 pack for $2.20. think i spent more on fuel looking for them...
    i hearing ya dave. hard to find a good tackle bag that lasts and keeps water out. seen these the other day, ugly as hell but supposed to be pretty good too. http://jonestackle.com.au/2012/01/plano-big-water-bags/

Velcro, hahaha your favourite. Good times. Recently upgraded mine to tool bag from bunno's, keep an eye out for the boat of tool bags lol...