Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Media release. Net Buy Back.

Re: Media release. Net Buy Back.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I know..cos Labor would have gotten less funding if KAP got some.
    A dumb move for 40k, esp when Labor's vote meant nothing but who knows what backroom deal was done between the LNP and Labor.

Sorry for digressing.
    ~~~><))))*>

This process will be a complete waste of time and our money unless it is a part of a more wholistic approach. As it stands, old mate with a N1 licence offers up his licence under this SAP and if accepted (and his has no other licences) he exits the fishery, but there is nothing stopping someone else with N licence from moving in to replace him! What is the net gain? Nothing! We just waste money. If this process was part of a review that involved removing commercial fishing from a certain area and an appropriate level of buyout provided for exiting commercial fishers, then that would make sense, but currently there is a lot of unused or underutilised N licences out there that can be ramped up or activated to replace any licences bought under this scheme. There were reviews done after the MBMP fiasco and you would have thought that lessons would have been learnt.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    It looks very much like the remaining nets pick up the tonnage slack old mate
    If that is the case , I cannot see any return on the outlay .
    Then again , I could be wrong . It would not be the first or last time.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    This process will be a complete waste of time and our money unless it is a part of a more wholistic approach. As it stands, old mate with a N1 licence offers up his licence under this SAP and if accepted (and his has no other licences) he exits the fishery, but there is nothing stopping someone else with N licence from moving in to replace him! What is the net gain? Nothing! We just waste money. If this process was part of a review that involved removing commercial fishing from a certain area and an appropriate level of buyout provided for exiting commercial fishers, then that would make sense, but currently there is a lot of unused or underutilised N licences out there that can be ramped up or activated to replace any licences bought under this scheme. There were reviews done after the MBMP fiasco and you would have thought that lessons would have been learnt.
    The more cunning guys in NSW sold their productive license for a massive payout and purchased a dormant license to get straight back to work. I hope the government imposes a "do not work in this industry" clause or it will be a total waste of money for very little gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    The more cunning guys in NSW sold their productive license for a massive payout and purchased a dormant license to get straight back to work. I hope the government imposes a "do not work in this industry" clause or it will be a total waste of money for very little gain.
    No such luck, the following is from the Qld net-buyback information page.

6. Can I continue as a commercial fisher if I surrender my licence?
    You cannot continue fishing using the licence being surrendered. To continue fishing you would need to fish under another Queensland Commercial Fishing Boat licence.

~~~><))))*>

Hand back your current licence for 100 grand, buy and underutilized licence from another pro fisher for 50 grand and your still fishing with money in the bank, what a bargain.

Why is it that , we can see what this buyback is really about .... " a stunt , a golden parachute & an opportunity to help the pro's"

Yet others hail this initiative as a win for Rec fishing

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Did you folk not see this?

Media Statements

Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
    The Honourable John McVeigh

McVeigh seeks best value from fish net buyback

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Fisheries Minister John McVeigh will be looking to ensure maximum benefit for industry and taxpayers from the Newman Government’s East Coast fishery net buyback program.
    Mr McVeigh said he was determined to stop speculation surrounding the value of net licences.
    “We’re determined to reduce net fishing to make the industry more sustainable, but we certainly won’t be buying licences at inflated prices,” he said.
    “We know full well what licences have been trading for and that’s what they’ll be worth during the buyback.”
    In line with industry wishes, 50 per cent of net licences will be withdrawn to keep the industry sustainable.
    Mr McVeigh said the Government wanted to buy as many N1 and N2 licences as possible. Currently there are 320 licences - 161 N1 and 159 N2 licences - on the books.
    Concerned that some licence holders viewed the buyback as ‘easy Government money’, Mr McVeigh said the Government would not be paying any silly prices, adding if he did not achieve what he needed from the first round, he would look seriously at management options.
    “I have instructed the Chairman of the buyback steering group, Mr Scott Spencer, to draw up a list of management options to stop any speculation and ensure we achieve our goals,” he said.
    “Such management options could include a trebling of licence fees because of the increase in value of remaining licences, along with VMS satellite tracking and reporting, and taking out latent licences with historically low takes.”
    Minister McVeigh said he was also close to formalising options from the crab review that is running parallel to the net buyback.
    “We’re running the two simultaneously to ensure there’s no shift of effort into crabbing.
    “This is about getting the best result for our fishing industries, the best result for the environment and the maximum value for taxpayers’ dollars.”
    [ENDS] 7 November 2012

Media: Lachlan Millar – 0407 394 580

Here is the stats from the previous attempt :-

The provisions of the new zoning plan have not changed substantially from those existing under the current zoning plan. However, the increase in the extent of zones which are restrictive has increased significantly. Marine national park, or “green zones”, have increased from 0.5 per cent to 16 per cent of Moreton Bay Marine Park, to address the significant deficiencies of the current zoning plan with regard to meeting current standards for marine conservation in marine parks. This increase means around 540km2 of the 3400km2 marine park allows uses that are non-extractive in nature, leaving the remaining 2860km2 or 84 per cent with zoning arrangements that provide for a range of extractive uses

2.4.1 Commercial fishing

Commercial fishing inside Moreton Bay Marine Park has an extensive history, with many operators able to trace their families’ involvement in the industry back several generations. On average, 410 commercial fishing licences were used to access the marine park annually during the three-year period to the end of 2006.

These vessels landed approximately $24.1 million gross value of product (“GVP”, or the wharf price paid to commercial fishers) from within the marine park each year. These vessels also land an additional $22.6 million each year from fishing operations outside of Moreton Bay Marine Park.
    Commercial fishing activities undertaken in the marine park include, trawling, netting, spanner, mud and blue-swimmer crab fishing, line fishing and collection fisheries, harvesting species such as bait and aquarium fish. Within the collection fisheries, aquarium fish collection has the highest GVP, generating approximately $800 000 each year in the marine park.

2.4.2 Recreational fishing

Recreational fishing is an important activity in the Moreton Bay Marine Park. Recreational fishing in the marine park includes shore and boat based line fishing, crabbing and bait gathering. Around 60 per cent of Queensland’s recreational anglers live in the Moreton Bay region, with 432 000 anglers or 18.4 per cent of the south-east Queensland population aged over 15 years harvesting approximately 3500 tonnes of fish, crabs and prawns each year. Recreational fishing was reported to have generated $194 million in related expenditure in south-east Queensland annually in 2000-

Unlike the commercial fishery where the objective is to maximise the catch, recreational anglers have a range of objectives or motives to go fishing; such as escaping routine, experiencing nature, or for rest and relaxation. The diverse motives mean that recreational anglers may be more likely to find substitute locations that fulfil both their catch and non-catch related motives.

There are 34 marine national park (green) zones under the new zoning plan. There is no significant difference between the restrictions that apply to these zones under the existing and new zoning plan. The key change is the increased number and coverage of marine national park (green) zones, which provide greater habitat protection

5.1.5 Recreational fishing – potential costs

The EPA collected and analysed information from a range of sources to ensure that the potential impacts of green zones on the recreational fishing sector were minimised. An analysis of this information showed that the draft zoning plan had a direct impact on approximately five per cent of recreational fishing trips conducted inside the marine park.

5.1.1 Commercial fishing – potential costs

Commercial fishing occurs across all 16 broad-scale habitat types in Moreton Bay Marine Park. As a result, it is the industry most affected by the new zoning plan. Commercial logbook data has been used to calculate the potential impacts of the draft zoning plan on commercial fisheries. This modeling indicates a total potential impact of 17 per cent, or $4 million of the $24.1 million annual average GVP generated within the marine park.

So, in my words now.

Charter Operators are not even mentioned in this report. Seriously, you guys need to get representative people into the right place........ TOURISM..... which is worth about $500mill a year in SEQ.

Now, for the simple maths:-

Commercial fishers get a $4mill package representing a 17% loss in their $24 mill business

Recreational Fishers get a $1mill arti ( ended up with 2 mill ) despite a $9.7mill reduction in benefit ( 5% ) in a $194,000,000 related expenditure environment.

I repeat, Recreational Fishers get rogered again.

LP.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

The way I see it the State is getting the 10% GST on the $194,000,000. Combine this with revenue from specific regestrations and licences then rec fishing is a pretty good earner. Its time for Fisheries to be brought out from under the wing of Primary Industries and tied in with Tourism or Sport and Recreation. I think specific restrictions on where commercial fishing can take place is mandatory to any buy back unless the scheme is soley dedicated to the improvement of the viability of the commercial sector (read as primary industries view of the fishery)
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by NorthC View Post
    Did you folk not see this?

Media Statements

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Fisheries Minister John McVeigh will be looking to ensure maximum benefit for industry and taxpayers from the Newman Government’s East Coast fishery net buyback program.
    Mr McVeigh said he was determined to stop speculation surrounding the value of net licences.
    We’re determined to reduce net fishing to make the industry more sustainable, but we certainly won’t be buying licences at inflated prices,” he said........
    “This is about getting the best result for our fishing industries, the best result for the environment and the maximum value for taxpayers’ dollars.”
    [ENDS] 7 November 2012

Media: Lachlan Millar – 0407 394 580
    I have a question if I may.
    How can net fishing be reduced if the quota's are the same?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Is there any media releases for rest of the state... the silent 40% seems to be getting a much bigger shafting than SE corner.

hey guys,

There are no quota's for net caught fish!!!! besides a few exceptions.
    Only Tailor, grey mackerel and shark have total allowable catches. No one owns it as such, it is a limit imposed on the commercial sector.

Species such as mullet, bream, whiting, flathed, barra, salmon etc etc etc have no quotas.

I don't understand what all this talk is about people tranferring quota is.

Any license brought back whether being used or not, is a good thing for rec's and pro's because it simply takes away any chance of another net fishing operation to begin.

At present anyone can take an unused N1 or N2 and go as hard as they like. All they need is the license. They do not have to buy or lease any quota. In this way they are simply putting more pressure on the sustainability of fish stocks. So buying up these unused licenses is a must.

I have seen it time and time again. A professional fisherman has a good operation, everyone cottons on, grabs a cheap license because there is to many and simply starts up beside them. In the end everyone loses.

I think this net buyback could be good for both groups, just as long as they can buy back enough licenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Do I need to surrender quota units that I may hold?
    No. Quota units are not able to be surrendered under this scheme.
    The scheme only relates to the surrender of Queensland Commercial Fishing Boat Licences and attached fishery symbols.
    Quote Originally Posted by bg1000 View Post
    hey guys,

There are no quota's for net caught fish!!!! besides a few exceptions.
    Only Tailor, grey mackerel and shark have total allowable catches. No one owns it as such, it is a limit imposed on the commercial sector.

Species such as mullet, bream, whiting, flathed, barra, salmon etc etc etc have no quotas..
    Now I'm confused.
    Why isn't there any quota's for the good old 'bread and butter' fishes?

Still...what stops the remaining licenses from buying bigger nets and bigger boats so the overall net tonnage of caught fish remains the same.....or increases.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

All that happens is those that are efficient & keep their licence can get a bigger chunck of the pie ....... The fishing effort will not diminish
    Those that want out ....... get a golden parachute

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO