Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Artificial reef

Re: Artificial reef

Well I am glad you asked...

How to make a submission.

1. Put in writing what, where and how you want the funding spent and hand it perrsonally to your State member or the Minister. You can go into as much depth as you want... costing per item you want, funds distribtuion, tender process, preferred contractors, time frame, participation rates for item, community benefit, ongoing costs, environmental impact statement, management arrangements, and more..

2. State members have meetings with their constituients and advisors and then take " rumblings " to the table ( LNP meetings ). They are also involved in connecting with the people, advising the Ministers, doing the " community " things ( cutting ribbons, being patrons of entities etc ) and in some cases, interacting with the internet community of their choice.

3. MY State member has taken my thoughts to his boss. I have had one lengthy meeting with him, several email communications and phone calls. My next meeting is before Xmas. You know the " extrapolation " system, well it works best with face to face meetings.

4. My Federal member sits on his hands and begs for mercy from our Prime Minister. He does not communicate with me very much. In fact, he is never available for a meeting with me, as he seems to always be in Canberra, where, I might add, his ex girlfriend runs the country.... Oh, that's right, that's no secret.

Yes, your local member will lobby for what his or her constituients want, or more so....need. If you are in an electroate that is marginal, you will get funding, if it is a safe seat, you will also get funding, but in a different way. If your local member is a Minister, that is best, hence the DAFF Minister is from Toowoomba and is more interested in Agri-business than Fisheries, although there is a bent for the commercial fishery..

Now, if a group, let's just say Sunfish, put a fully costed proposal to McVeigh ( Minister DAFF ) for 6 arti reefs in SEQ, I am sure it will be taken seriously and considered on its merits. If that proposal was backed up with 300 plus private submissions, then I believe, you'd have those arti's in good time. Numbers.... it's all about the numbers....

If you want similar things for fresh water places, the same applies.

Even the simpliest thing, like a fish cleaning table at a particular ramp..... has to go through the right channels ( the pun intended ) and in the end, the less work the Govt do in regard to research etc, the better it is for them. Hand them a document, they pass it around to interested departments, they sign off on it and " Billy Bobs ya Uncle ".

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

[QUOTE=Lucky_Phill;1436063]
    Gees Phill. Thanks for that.

So what submissions have been....well submitted, with that submission been accepted as a good idea and become reality in the last 5-10 years that you know of??
    Were they submitted by Joe Blow's sister Sheila or someone sitting in a member's office?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

So what submissions have been....well submitted, with that submission been accepted as a good idea and become reality in the last 5-10 years that you know of??
    Were they submitted by Joe Blow's sister Sheila or someone sitting in a member's office?
    Counting environmental groups making submissions about sticking a heap of green zones around the place? From what I can tell when I'm out on the water some of their submissions seem to have been accepted and acted upon.

6 MBMP arti's.
    High Speed Ring Netting in Hervey Bay. ( stopped )
    Various boat ramp improvements in Qld
    Kids Fishing Days
    TED's... not a rec thing, but individuals made submissions with the idea and design
    Beach netting on Fraser, Moreton and Straddie ( parts thereof , stopped )
    Fishing Platform on the new Ted Smout Memorial Bridge
    HMAS Brisbane... submission from rec fishos taken into account, but was designed as dive site only.
    Rubbish bins ( fishing line ) and rod holders on the Urangan Pier
    MBMP zonings
    Great Sandy Straits zonings
    in NSW, dedicated Rec Fishing Havens
    Net buy backs

all started their life as an idea from an individual and made possible by a group getting behind them.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    6 MBMP arti's.
    High Speed Ring Netting in Hervey Bay. ( stopped )
    Various boat ramp improvements in Qld
    Kids Fishing Days
    TED's... not a rec thing, but individuals made submissions with the idea and design
    Beach netting on Fraser, Moreton and Straddie ( parts thereof , stopped )
    Fishing Platform on the new Ted Smout Memorial Bridge
    HMAS Brisbane... submission from rec fishos taken into account, but was designed as dive site only.
    Rubbish bins ( fishing line ) and rod holders on the Urangan Pier
    MBMP zonings
    Great Sandy Straits zonings
    in NSW, dedicated Rec Fishing Havens
    Net buy backs

all started their life as an idea from an individual and made possible by a group getting behind them.

cheers
    Too bad the kids day's are no longer
    Righto...your the ideas bloke. Done.
    All we need is a group behind you.....well not literally bums to wall type of behind you.
    How about a peak representative group?? Would that do?

The Kids day will continue........

I had a group behind me and we achieved a great deal over the last 3 - 4 years.

We have some rep bodies now willing to take up the challenge, get behind them.

or, go fishing........ as I am this weekend..

LP

Well Mike, he has.

Fact. MP Mark got the idea of a Rec Fishing Licence quashed,( not on the LNP table for discussion now ) even though the Minister was open to the idea. He did not go on about this as he was simply passing on the feelings of the rec fishing community here in Queensland. .... yes those feelings were vented here on AF.

At least with that issue, he had some control........ ex - Shadow Fisheries Minister and informed Rec Fisher.
    Cheers
    LOL... you need better contacts in the LNP Phill, did MP Gunna tell you that crap, ask your local member how it went down, and ask him/her about Gunna's current standing with Can Do and McVeigh and what caused it.

LNP Policy Commitments:

• $120 million Marine Infrastructure Fund over four years
    • $50 million for small marine infrastructure such as boat ramps, artificial reefs and pontoons
    • $30 millon to improve access to Gold Coast Waterways
    • $40 millon to improve access to Cairns' Trinity Inlet
    I am unsure how the funds are to be distributed and when, but this is STILL policy. I suspect it is not high on the priority list and will come into play when the first budget is handed down. The details should be laid out then.

cheers
    Their 1st budget was handed down almost 3 months ago mate.
    ~~~><))))*>

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    I think another month or two away from the ausfish trollfest will do me good.

Totally agree Timmi.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Too bad the kids day's are no longer
    Righto...your the ideas bloke. Done.
    All we need is a group behind you.....well not literally bums to wall type of behind you.
    How about a peak representative group?? Would that do?
    Finga, funding for the kids fishing clinics was canned in the LNP's last budget but after strong campaign Sunfish won back around half of the money they used to get for these events. They will be given enough money to run 18 instead of 33 kids fishing clinics this year. They are taking aplications from member orginisations to run these right now. At only a couple of grand a pop I recon it's a p#ssweak way to save money, kids in some areas will miss out altogether now.

From Sunfish

Notice to Sunfish Members 1st November 2012

This is a request to Sunfish Members to submit “expressions of interest” for their affiliates to conduct “Junior Fishing Days”.
    The Government through Fisheries Queensland is now favourably considering funding 18 of these days throughout Queensland under similar conditions to those previously held in past years and called “Lifestyle Kids Fishing Days”.
    These monies have been the result of an intense media campaign and it is important that they are not taken for granted - you can ensure this by acting professionally in the conduct of these events. Your affiliate bodies as Members of Sunfish Queensland will be given priority in the allocation of these days.
    ~~~><))))*>

• $120 million Marine Infrastructure Fund over four years
    • $50 million for small marine infrastructure such as boat ramps, artificial reefs and pontoons..over what time span?
    • $30 millon to improve access to Gold Coast Waterways..ditto
    • $40 millon to improve access to Cairns' Trinity Inlet..ditto.

One thing that really annoys me is political parties making policies that are not encompassed in their current elected period.

The LNP have stated 4 years in their first policy item. What of they only spend 2 mill i nthe first three years then lose the next election..the policy is redundant and non sensical.

All parties do it and it is a joke. I believe they should only publish policies of this nature for what they intend to completei n their elected time frame.

I like the idea of more artis but wish they would get their fingers out and implement some of these policies now.

Why should private enterprise be enticed to fund these...these items are a Governments job..if they cannot do the job then step down.

Both the LNP and the ALP have proven they are incompetent at major PPP projects (the tunnel projects) so perhaps they should forget about these.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    How do we make a submission?

I always thought concerned State members of Parliament knew what their constituents wanted (they know what their local constituents want as they went out and talked with their constituents) and the State member was the person who lobbied for the needed item ie boat ramp.
    What do State members do?
    What does your State member do?
    What does your federal member do?
    While the plan may be more developed than when I first put it forward, now the transport minister will receive proposals from local groups (consortium perhaps). Eg. A rec fishing club working with a council to present a proposal for a new arti, or ramp, or pontoon. A state mp can facilitate it happening. The $50 million comes from boat regos paid into the marine infrastructure fund. Eg. I looked at Burrum Heads at a new ramp working with local rec fishers and council - council would build carpark while govt the ramp. I would love to see that one come together.

Goodo Mark.
    Over what time period did the $50,000,00 tally take to accumulate?
    I would assume 12 months as how many registered vessels in QLD? With a guestimate of average rego cost of about $200 then it would be logical to assume this $50,000,000 would be available for projects every year.

What projects happened last year with this $50,000,000 boat rego fund?
    What 'projects' have been done since your mob has been in power with the money we have paid through boat rego fees?

Thanks for being on here Mark. I hope you continue to keep in touch with us.

Have you noticed the Wello Point thread? Any additional support for improved management of the ramp parking would be appreciated.... it's a lousy situation there.

Any ramp proposals you see.... A floating pontoon down the CENTRE of any new ramps is a must. Don't let them sell you anything else.

I am very skeptical of pollies in general, but who knows.... you may prove to be an exception.... lets hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Finga, funding for the kids fishing clinics was canned in the LNP's last budget but after strong campaign Sunfish won back around half of the money they used to get for these events. They will be given enough money to run 18 instead of 33 kids fishing clinics this year. They are taking aplications from member orginisations to run these right now. At only a couple of grand a pop I recon it's a p#ssweak way to save money, kids in some areas will miss out altogether now.

From Sunfish

Notice to Sunfish Members 1st November 2012

This is a request to Sunfish Members to submit “expressions of interest” for their affiliates to conduct “Junior Fishing Days”.
    The Government through Fisheries Queensland is now favourably considering funding 18 of these days throughout Queensland under similar conditions to those previously held in past years and called “Lifestyle Kids Fishing Days”.
    These monies have been the result of an intense media campaign and it is important that they are not taken for granted - you can ensure this by acting professionally in the conduct of these events. Your affiliate bodies as Members of Sunfish Queensland will be given priority in the allocation of these days.
    Hasn't come through yet to any of the clubs I'm in that used to run these. Nor has sunfish dropped me a line as one of their qualified, and active, instructors.

I am unsure if the $50 mill will come from boat regos. ?

237,000 private vessels registered in Qld with an average $200. is around $48mill. The vast majority goes into General Revenue, and the $18 RUF per vessel is for " recreational boating purposes", that amount is $4.2mill. This fee is set in concrete and is used for the betterment of recreational boating facilities / activities.

Unless, of course, the LNP has a new policy for all vessel fees to go into the Marine Infrastructure Plan, if that is the case, then we put $48mill per in... but the plan is over 4 years ?

This will need to be better explained.........

Why do politicial parties roll out some plans over more than 3 years, simple, it takes that long to get it going. I, for one would love to see a " vision " set in place that is rolled out over 5, 10, 20 & 30 plus years.

That is the trouble with modern politics, it has no VISION, or if some politicians do have this VISION, they get hamstrung by the party power brokers who are only looking to the next election.

Here's a VISION I have for Qlds rec fishing industry.

Queensland to have the best in the world Salt and Fresh Water Fishery for recreational and commercial anglers.

I want people to come here from all over the world and sample our mouthwatering fish and fishery. WE can roll out ( every year until Armageddon ) an artificial reef for rec anglers, mollusc fishery and spear / divers. We can turn out inland waterways into a world class fishery. Along with this, we can turn Australia into " The Food Bowl " of the world.

To do this we need a vision and politicians with balls to put it on the table, they need to dispatch the faceless power brokers to the naughty corner and set out a plan that may well take 30 years to roll out. Who cares, just do it.

Let's look at it this way......... how long does one contribute to Super Annuation to get the desired result ( that being enough to live on during retirement ) ?????

WE are kidding ourselves AND selling our pollies short, if we think we can get desired results overnight. Sure, we can put band-aids on things, build a boat ramp etc, but the Fishery is the essence of our passion and that alone has to be dealt with in an holistic approach that seriously encompasses every area of concern. Some of those areas are, Tourism, Health, Education, Environment, Fishery Management, Commercial Fishing, Species Management, Habitat protection and retification, Pollution Control, Aqua-Culture, Sea Farming, Border Protection, Import Regulations, Recreation Activities, Research and more..................

Yes it takes money, but more importantly, it takes balls, passion, desire, vision and planning.

Some think it is the job of the Government to install arti reefs, well everyone is entilted to an opinion, but here's the catch.

If we need the reefs and the Govt does not have the funding, how do we get them in the water ?

Several ways... increase boat regos by 200%, introduce a RFL $200/year, taxation subsidy on every Queenslander ( Like the Ambulance levy ), ............. Frig that....... I would rather go cap in hand to Private Corporations and put on the table a well doucmented proposal that will benefit them as well as the recreational fishos of Queensland. IT seems to me a lot of folks are blaming the Govt ( any Govt ) for shortfallings, instead at looking of alternatives.

Australia and indeed Queensland has a small population for the size of the country and this is where we get issues with funding. Our private corporations produce much more " turnover " in terms of financial profits etc and maybe this is where we should be looking to assist us and any other struggling recreational area for funding or support.

We just have to figure out how it will be advantagous to those corporations in respect to Carbon Offsets, Taxation benefits and Community Awareness ( PR ).

If one drives down a street and the road is blocked and you want to get to the other side, what do you do ? I don't wait and whinge, I find an alternative route.

cheers LP