Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Artificial reef

This debate has been mostly SE qld focused. I've mentioned it before on here that NQ could also do with more artificial reefs. Most of them up this way have been accidental. Think Yongala!! Imagine a couple of dozen of those around the Townsville area. There'd be no need to head the 40 odd miles each way to the reef for a feed.
    It's a bit different the further north you go because the Great Barrier Reef is so much closer and the population also thins out so the pressure is reduced.
    My two cents worth anyway.

Re: Artificial reef

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    The $50 million comes from boat regos paid into the marine infrastructure fund. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    I am unsure if the $50 mill will come from boat regos.

WE are kidding ourselves AND selling our pollies short, if we think we can get desired results overnight. Sure, we can put band-aids on things, build a boat ramp etc, but the Fishery is the essence of our passion and that alone has to be dealt with in an holistic approach that seriously encompasses every area of concern. Some of those areas are, Tourism, Health, Education, Environment, Fishery Management, Commercial Fishing, Species Management, Habitat protection and retification, Pollution Control, Aqua-Culture, Sea Farming, Border Protection, Import Regulations, Recreation Activities, Research and more..................?LP
    And the best way to that is by cutting funding to near (if not all) of those areas of concern?
    Where's that list of stuff where there is no longer any funding?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

this is why you guys need a fishing license. 30 bux a year and a hell of alot of cash to build arties etc. Also helps to get figures on folks who fish etc. The fishing license has been good for NSW. It could be a whole lot better but it has been good.

As for the concrete. If the govt could set aside a few square kilometers in say 40 meters of water of each major town up and down the coast and call it a dumping ground. You are allowed to dump steel and or concrete or rock only. Each load checked out buy govt inspector. Given the all clear you dump at your own cost. This is how they do it in the us i believe. The coordinates for the 4 corners of the dumping ground are made public so trawlers etc know not to fish there. As for publisicing the exact coordinates of the structures them selves this is up to the individual/ company/charity or govt that dumps them. Clears the red tape.

Quote Originally Posted by snapperdan View Post
    this is why you guys need a fishing license. 30 bux a year and a hell of alot of cash to build arties etc. Also helps to get figures on folks who fish etc. The fishing license has been good for NSW. It could be a whole lot better but it has been good.

As for the concrete. If the govt could set aside a few square kilometers in say 40 meters of water of each major town up and down the coast and call it a dumping ground. You are allowed to dump steel and or concrete or rock only. Each load checked out buy govt inspector. Given the all clear you dump at your own cost. This is how they do it in the us i believe. The coordinates for the 4 corners of the dumping ground are made public so trawlers etc know not to fish there. As for publisicing the exact coordinates of the structures them selves this is up to the individual/ company/charity or govt that dumps them. Clears the red tape.
    once again..no, no and no to a fishing license. People in NSW pay for the fisheries officers from the license fees..are you serious? That is just double taxation of the worst kind.

I am unsure if the $50 mill will come from boat regos. ?

237,000 private vessels registered in Qld with an average $200. is around $48mill. The vast majority goes into General Revenue, and the $18 RUF per vessel is for " recreational boating purposes", that amount is $4.2mill. This fee is set in concrete and is used for the betterment of recreational boating facilities / activities.

Unless, of course, the LNP has a new policy for all vessel fees to go into the Marine Infrastructure Plan, if that is the case, then we put $48mill per in... but the plan is over 4 years ?

This will need to be better explained.........

Why do politicial parties roll out some plans over more than 3 years, simple, it takes that long to get it going. I, for one would love to see a " vision " set in place that is rolled out over 5, 10, 20 & 30 plus years.

That is the trouble with modern politics, it has no VISION, or if some politicians do have this VISION, they get hamstrung by the party power brokers who are only looking to the next election.

Here's a VISION I have for Qlds rec fishing industry.

Queensland to have the best in the world Salt and Fresh Water Fishery for recreational and commercial anglers.

I want people to come here from all over the world and sample our mouthwatering fish and fishery. WE can roll out ( every year until Armageddon ) an artificial reef for rec anglers, mollusc fishery and spear / divers. We can turn out inland waterways into a world class fishery. Along with this, we can turn Australia into " The Food Bowl " of the world.

To do this we need a vision and politicians with balls to put it on the table, they need to dispatch the faceless power brokers to the naughty corner and set out a plan that may well take 30 years to roll out. Who cares, just do it.

Let's look at it this way......... how long does one contribute to Super Annuation to get the desired result ( that being enough to live on during retirement ) ?????

WE are kidding ourselves AND selling our pollies short, if we think we can get desired results overnight. Sure, we can put band-aids on things, build a boat ramp etc, but the Fishery is the essence of our passion and that alone has to be dealt with in an holistic approach that seriously encompasses every area of concern. Some of those areas are, Tourism, Health, Education, Environment, Fishery Management, Commercial Fishing, Species Management, Habitat protection and retification, Pollution Control, Aqua-Culture, Sea Farming, Border Protection, Import Regulations, Recreation Activities, Research and more..................

Yes it takes money, but more importantly, it takes balls, passion, desire, vision and planning.

Some think it is the job of the Government to install arti reefs, well everyone is entilted to an opinion, but here's the catch.

If we need the reefs and the Govt does not have the funding, how do we get them in the water ?

Several ways... increase boat regos by 200%, introduce a RFL $200/year, taxation subsidy on every Queenslander ( Like the Ambulance levy ), ............. Frig that....... I would rather go cap in hand to Private Corporations and put on the table a well doucmented proposal that will benefit them as well as the recreational fishos of Queensland. IT seems to me a lot of folks are blaming the Govt ( any Govt ) for shortfallings, instead at looking of alternatives.

Australia and indeed Queensland has a small population for the size of the country and this is where we get issues with funding. Our private corporations produce much more " turnover " in terms of financial profits etc and maybe this is where we should be looking to assist us and any other struggling recreational area for funding or support.

We just have to figure out how it will be advantagous to those corporations in respect to Carbon Offsets, Taxation benefits and Community Awareness ( PR ).

If one drives down a street and the road is blocked and you want to get to the other side, what do you do ? I don't wait and whinge, I find an alternative route.

cheers LP
    a vision is a marvellous thing..a 30 year vision for a political party means they can talk all they want and do nothing as none ever last 30 years in power. I have no problem with visions as long as it stated something along the lines of:
    we have a 20 year goal..to reach this goal we WILL do this in the first term.. then this in the 2nd term etc until the goal is reached. Anything less than making a solid commitment for the elected term is a cop out.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    once again..no, no and no to a fishing license. People in NSW pay for the fisheries officers from the license fees..are you serious? That is just double taxation of the worst kind.
    it may be "double taxation" of the worst kind but it helps with something many folks are extremely passionate about.

I see it as no different to having a drivers license, shooters license, boat license, pwc license.

Yes some of the funds are misused and given away to lightly when they could be saved for bigger and better things ie artis and more buy outs and more fisheries inspectors.

snapperdan,

I am one who does not want an RFL for a number of reasons I have posted many times on this forum.

I do like your analogy to drivers licence, boat licence etc,, and to give my opinion on that idea..

As a driver of a motor vehicle, your are required to have a licence to drive a particular vehicle and should you wish to drive a different sort of vehicle you require another licence, and another one, yet another licence....... car, motor cycle ( couple of categories there ), MR, HR, Articulated, B-Double, triple etc etc man I don't know how many there is, but there are plenty and EACH ONE COSTS A FEE EVERY YEAR......

Can you see an RFL going this way ?

A salt water licence, a fresh water licence, a landbased licence, a trolling licence, Inshore licence, offshore licence and many more COULD be forced upon us, given the right circumstances.

As a recreational angler we are already forced to cough up high amounts of funds to participate, wherever we catch a fish or not.

Drivers licence, Radio Licence, Boat Licence, PWC Licence, Required Safety Equipment, RUF, rego, insurance, GST on fuel, bait, tackle and all other items....

My question is......... When is enough..enough !! ?????????????

LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 20-11-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: spelling.again
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Seller's Items

snapperdan,

I am one who does not want an RFL for a number of reasons I have posted many times on this forum.

I do like your analogy to drivers licence, boat licence etc,, and to give my opinion on that idea..

As a driver of a motor vehicle, your are required to have a licence to drive a particular vehicle and should you wish to drive a different sort of vehicle you require another licence, and another one, yet another licence....... car, motor cycle ( couple of categories there ), MR, HR, Articulated, B-Double, triple etc etc man I don't know how many there is, but there are plenty and EACH ONE COSTS A FEE EVERY YEAR......

Can you see an RFL going this way ?

A salt water licence, a fresh water licence, a landbased licence, a trolling licence, Inshore licence, offshore licence and many more COULD be forced upon us, given the right circumstances.

As a recreational angler we are already forced to cough up high amounts of funds to participate, wherever we catch a fish or not.

Drivers licence, Radio Licence, Boat Licence, PWC Licence, Required Safety Equipment, RUF, rego, insurance, GST on fuel, bait, tackle and all other items....

My question is......... When is enough..enough !! ?????????????

LP
    With our govts there will never be enough. GST rise soon i thinks. Still way to much cash in the economy.

As for the different license classes. I dont see that happening (though i could see a mpa license). I know we all pay alot to go fishing. However the cost for a license is insignificant to what we pay for a day on the water. I have never been checked for my fishing license and have always held one. I am sure there are heaps of folks who just run the gauntlet each week end. Just think of what you could achieve with all that funding. QLD is blessed with some of the worlds best fishing. In my humble opinion a fishing license could help take it to the next level through pro buy outs and artificial reefs.

Thanks Dan, my other point I suppose is.

The pro's paid the Govt for their licence, hence the Govt has the money ( held the money and invested it ) so I see no reason a taxpayer / rec fisho should buy it back.

I think people get confused with the big issues facing recreational fishing. Sure, buying back an estuary licence or two may have an impact on that particular area, but it is much more than licences that need addressing. We could look at the recent event in NSW where a " Recreational Fishing Haven " was established with funds from the licence, then with the stroke of a pen, it is taken away.

If you want Rec Fishing Havens etc, they have to be Federally Legislated similar to " Native Title " where only the stakeholders of that property can make decisions on the management and any changes or other entities that want to enter that domain, pay for it.

" still too much cash in the economy " ????.... never too much..... !!

Let's also not forget that the majority of Fisheries prosecutions over the years have been of rogue pro's, hence even if the licence issue is resolved, the rogue population will flourish ( cash economy ), why........ no money to pay for policing. unless we up the RFL or RUF and make the rec anglers bend over and take another hit...... !!!

cheers

Seller's Items

The user pays idea in govt was the thin edge of the wedge... Gradually we ended up paying for everything many times over.

A rec fish lic is the bloody THICK end of the wedge. It stinks, and any pollies supporting it might as well get ready for leaving parliament because Queenslanders will kick them out if they try it.

If one drives down a street and the road is blocked and you want to get to the other side, what do you do ? I don't wait and whinge, I find an alternative route.
    cheers LP
    I'd get out and walk across to the other side of the road.
    Where talking QLD and Australia....how wide is the widest road? 20m?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Metaphors young man, Metaphors....

Seller's Items