Thread: Advice on set up for newcomer!

Advice on set up for newcomer!

Hey all,

I am new to the fishing game and looking for best set up rod/reel for estuary/river/lake fishing in the south coast and Sydney area (mainly flathead/bream etc).

I have been looking at the t-curve and also daiwa black labe with stradic 2500/3000 but wondering if there are other options? Or which is better out of the two?

I don't mind buying good quality to last me.

Any advice on these or other recommendations would be great!!

Cheers
    Dan

Re: Advice on set up for newcomer!

To be honest, your target species are well below what the specs for the rods and reels you have nominated. If you were intent on chasing things like inshore snapper, mangrove jacks or GT's I would say you are on the ball and around the right moneys. But I think if you got the Shimano Symetre for about 140 and a Pflueger Trion 2-4kg rod for 100 bills you will find no problems with the gear at all and you will have another 100 bux in your pocket to enjoy somewhere else.

I fish my Symetres hard on everything from jacks to snapps up to about 85cm plus the odd mackeral thrown in and they do last very well. I am about to retire my oldest one that is nudging 18 yrs old now and copped a flogging since new.
    Jack.

Awesome,

Thanks for the advice. I will look into those brands!! Cheers.

Dan

Mate I got a diawa SOL and a pfluger trion 2-4 kg for the bream n flathead, most times it gets smashed by nice snapper so they punch well above their limits the pfluger trions. I own a 2-4 / 3-6 / 6-10 kg spin rods. Well worth the 100 dollars. Good luck. BTW - Any idea if you want 1 piece only or 2 piece ?? Some prefer the 1 piece but I don't know if I could really tell the difference if I was blind folded My bream rod is 1 piece.