Thread: 2 peice rod stuck together

2 peice rod stuck together

Hi all

I have a 2 peice ugly stick that has been sitting there for a while as is now stuck together and even with 2 people pulling and twisting I can't get it unstuck, any tips?

Cheers
    Matt

Re: 2 peice rod stuck together

A little heat maybe? Or sit the smaller section in ice maybe? Some lubricant?

I was once told to place the rod in a freezer by a rod builder, that's OK if you have a freezer long enough. I would try pouring some hot water (not boiling) over it while you pull on it at the same time.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Sorry I should have said, I tried a bit of heat with hot water I cant get any lube up in there either, just had a brain wave though might take it to the local butcher and leave it his big freezer over night see if that works.

thanks

Not helpful I know but enjoy it as a one piece.....??

The heat treatment is probably the best option. You need to expand the outer (female) part of the joint i.e. the ferrule while the inner (male) part remains at a lesser temperature so that it doesn't expand as well. After the rod has been in the freezer heat the outer part with hot water or a hair dryer and that should loosen the joint.

And make sure you use your knees by that I mean put the rod behind your knees and use your thighs to force your arms apart. Your forearms go on the outside of your thighs

Guides arent lined up mate or I would

will give it a crack after I have it in the freezer for the night

Ive used that not slip matting to break them apart on several occasions it gives you heaps of traction
    Time to do some Fishin & less workin.

yeah what towie said, that rubbery grip matting works great for that. Other than that, surely its one of the 40 things WD40 can do!

Tight fiting dish washing gloves,jam it into where the fingers join and twist you'll get incredible grip.I haven't come across one yet (fibreglass joiner) that I cant crack apart.

How did you go