Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glenlyon dam??

Glenlyon dam??

Hi guys, are there any of you that have had any recent trips to Glenlyon?? Anything to report? Thanks, zac.

Re: Glenlyon dam??

Hi Zac,
    A friend of a friend went there about a month back and trolled up heaps of small cod and a few yellas.
    I saw the pics so it appears to be true.
    Hava look at the water resources site and see how much water they are letting out for downstream irrigation. If they are letting out heaps theres a good chance you will get zip as the freshies seem to go quiet when theres a big outflow.

I was goin to go there myself but my dear old mum wanted to go to see her sister at Inverell and she cannot drive long distances so Copeton it is for me n Kat.

Cheers, steve.

Thanks Rabbi, not going myself but just enquireing for a mate who is going to go chase some cod. I'll pass the info on. thanks again.

I havent been there either lately, but I have been hearing good reports of yellas and cod been caught there recently.

Hey Steve... when are you going to Copeton for a fish? If I am not doing much at the time we might be able to meet up out there.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Hi Doug,
    Goin out on sunday and probably be there around mid afternoon after I visit a few people.
    Going to state recreation area on wall side. Dont know where we will camp yet. I want to go near the water up near the scout camp but kat wants to hang near the amenities. Will fight that one out when we get there.
    Just look for a metallica grey Colorado dual cab n a white Stacer Proline tinny.
    cheers.Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
    Hi Doug,
    Goin out on sunday and probably be there around mid afternoon after I visit a few people.
    Going to state recreation area on wall side. Dont know where we will camp yet. I want to go near the water up near the scout camp but kat wants to hang near the amenities. Will fight that one out when we get there.
    Just look for a metallica grey Colorado dual cab n a white Stacer Proline tinny.
    cheers.Steve
    ok, I will look for your boat and car. What make and size of outboard do you have on your boat?

I am not sure if I will be able to make it there, but if I do I will be going out the short side to put the boat in from there. As I said, I am not sure if I will make it there but I will try. If I dont make it this time we will have to try to catch up some time in the near future.

BTW, I think there are some good amenities in the Woolnulla bay area and Sepoy point area too. Well there used to be 30 years ago when I lived at Bundarra and used to go to that side of the dam often.

If I dont make it out there let me know how you get alone please. I hope you get onto a few. Cheers.
    Cheers, Doug.

The first decent thunderstorm for the catchment will turn it on again. There are some mighty big cod well upstream that have decimated the smaller fish. I know of one 50lber that was removed three weeks ago.
    Jack.

Mate was down there about 3 weeks ago. Only 1 yella for a whole week of fishing.

Got a 30hp Merc/Tohatsu with Blue decals on sides of boat doug.
    Just look for the short dark haired woman and funny looking white guy on board

Ok, I will look for those things Steve, but its not looking that I will make it out there today although its properly too late to be letting you know this now because you would be on the road I guess. I am not going to get a chance to get out there until later through the week now. I dont know how long you will be staying there for though. Anyway, good luck with them.
    Cheers, Doug.

Where are you at MangroveZac?

Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Where are you at MangroveZac?
    The thriving metropolis of Biloela.

Hey rocketrjp, where's your two cents worth????

I just got back from a month at Glenlyon on Monday.
    For the first three weeks I managed 18 Cod up to 85cm.
    The last week I didn't boat a Cod, although there were a few Cod getting caught every day and I missed a couple.
    A couple of very talented anglers, caught way more than me while I was there.
    I also fished Glenlyon for ten days in late Sept and the dam fished really well. I managed 6 Cod for the trip.

The dam is about 90% with a steady small discharge each day. I think the weather and the discharge put the Cod off the chew last week but they can't sulk for ever and are going to be very hungry this week. I mainly cast hard bodies first and last light and spinner baits during the day. I caught them in the weed beds, points, rocky drop offs and in the trees in deep water during the day. They are moving around a fair bit so be prepared to search for them.
    I don't fish for Yellas but from what I could see their season started late and I didn't see the huge numbers come in that are normally caught during the Spring.

I'm home for three weeks before I go back for round three over xmas.

Cheers, Monkey

Hi Guys.
    Copeton is about the same as Glen lyon and most anglers are getting really nice captures of yellas.

They used to use that excuse in the Inverell area years back, That the big cod are eating all the little fish, pfffft, what a load of c**p!
    The real truth is that people are eating all the little fish
    Bloody shame to kill a big cod these days and they taste like crap anyway.
    All you guys that throw them back,good onya!!

Cheers, steve.