Thread: Copeton dam

Copeton dam

Hi guys,
    I am thinking about heading to Copeton for a few days next week for some camping with my better half and I am thinking about chucking the tinny on the back.
    Just wondering if anyone has been catching any fish out there recently and would appreciate any info.
    I used to fish that dam a lot when I lived out there but its a long way from Ballina and I would appreciate any reports on whats happening out there.
    Specifically Catch & release fishing, unless theres a few redfin around.
    And Yes I do know that its closed cod season.
    Any help appreciated. Pm me if you want.

Cheers , Steve.

Re: Copeton dam

Gday Steve
    I might be a bit late for you but there are report's of heap's of Catfish, Redfin but not real big a few Yella's & the odd Cod bycatch..
    Baz

Gday Steve,

Like Baz said, there isnt much happening out there that I have heard either. The odd catches of some Redfin and catfish, and the odd yella. Its pretty slow from what I am hearing.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Sorry mate, I have just seen how long ago you first started this thread. I wish I had seen it earlier before you went out there over the weekend. I hope you got amongst some fish.
    Cheers, Doug.

Hi Baz n Doug.
    Few yellas being caught along with hundreds of very tiny redfin and Bobby cod. Got 14 around the 1-3kg mark on lures in spot X one morning.
    The camping was beaut, The cold beers were excellent and catching and releasing a few fish put the icing on the cake
    Few people keeping cod from the main basin too and a bit of redneck fishing happening out there.

We virtually had the place to ourselves but with a couple of comps and school holidays coming it will be a thriving city soon.
    I did my good deed for the day while I was there too, I was asked by a guys wife if I could come and help her husband. Went across to their camp and found him with a treble deeply embedded in his foot and removed it without making him jump too much, he was pretty happy about that.

Didnt have time to get around to see anyone and had Kat with me which slows things down.
    Going out again after the crowds subside next year with some serious fishing mates so will try and catch up with you guys then.

Had a cod follow a lure that was bigger than Katrina and she wondered why I suddenly got the shakes, that was a thrill!!
    cheers.

Good on you for doing that good deed for the day by getting that treble outta that fellows foot.

Its heart pounding to see those big green fish isnt it? and even more thrilling to caught one. But what feels the best is after catching them is to put them back in the water and to see them swim away.

What sorta redneck fishing is going on there that you seen Steve? Its ok if you dont wanna get into it though.
    Cheers, Doug.

We found a lot of free floating plastic bottles with heavy cord,big hooks n woodgrubs n carp for bait up the top of dam. Threw them up the bank. Obviously not goin to let the fish go if caught!
    Kat heard someone in the bushes say"come on" so they were probably watching us.
    It was just near that caravan parked at the last round hole near the start of the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Ehsman View Post
    Gday Steve
    I might be a bit late for you but there are report's of heap's of Catfish, Redfin but not real big a few Yella's & the odd Cod bycatch..
    Baz
    Hi Baz,
    My mother, her sister & another Aunt came out to the dam for coffee n cake with us and it was around 2pm.
    Shirl brought out a few worms and a handline so I stuck the worms on a hook rig on one of my rods and cast off the bank.
    They caught a catfish about every 3 minutes and they were huge suckers.
    I had 2 aunties and mum taking turns at winding in big catties and squealing like girls (well little old ladies actually).
    They had a ball. My job was to drink the coldies and bait the hook. Doesnt pay well but The coldies were nice and it was entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
    We found a lot of free floating plastic bottles with heavy cord,big hooks n woodgrubs n carp for bait up the top of dam. Threw them up the bank. Obviously not goin to let the fish go if caught!
    Kat heard someone in the bushes say"come on" so they were probably watching us.
    It was just near that caravan parked at the last round hole near the start of the rocks.
    That is just wrong wrong wrong for people to fish like that these days. Yes I know it used to be done a lot years ago, but to know it is still been done these days is plain wrong.
    Cheers, Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodoo haven View Post
    That is just wrong wrong wrong for people to fish like that these days. Yes I know it used to be done a lot years ago, but to know it is still been done these days is plain wrong.
    Well said, and rabbi... bloody good job. Shouldn't have this going on and that's probably why the culprits were hiding in the scrub!

Yep Yep.
    They should slap one of those "take your boat and gear" fines on people who do that sh#t these days, absolutely no place for it and definitely outdated.

Gday Steve,Good to see that you caught something at least...What a mob of A@#%&*^s having floater's up there, well done on getting rid of them....Next year mate i will be walking again so will be able to go fishing again,Send me a PM when you are coming down .
    Baz