Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redclaw & Barra from the bank

Redclaw & Barra from the bank

I dont have a boat and it's unlikely i'll ever own one now at my age. So i'm just wondering if it's possible to get redclaw and Barra from the bank in dams like Callide, Awoonga, Prossy, etc, etc.

I've tried many times for Barra at Awoonga and Peter Faust off the shore but never a hit. Should I keep trying, or am I fooling myself off the bank?

Oh and also can you catch redclaw off the bank, I have tried at Emerald, Somerset, but have not seen any of these either.

Thanks.

Re: Redclaw & Barra from the bank

fish below the awoonga wall in the boyne river, heaps of barra around (its closed season though), very rarely heard of barra landbased in the dam

Saw 2 nice size (70cm orso) barra around near the boat ramp heading into Monduran camp site. Fished there a bit but never hooked one but seeing 2 is always a good sign.

Redclaw from the bank at Theresa Creek dam and Fairburn Dam. Barra (when in season) landbased in the Boyne and Calliope rivers too. Just need to work out where the buggers like to hide.

Thanks, sounds good. Theresa Creek Dam is a long way out, but worth a shot.
    As for calliope and boyne, I've fished that place to death and only ever saw a mullet jump.
    Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by aus2045 View Post
    Thanks, sounds good. Theresa Creek Dam is a long way out, but worth a shot.
    As for calliope and boyne, I've fished that place to death and only ever saw a mullet jump.
    Are you sure?
    I don't mind answering questions to help other fishos catch the elusive fish. What does piss me off, though, is people questioning responses. "Are you sure????" FFS. Biggest barra 122cm LANDBASED. 4 barra inside 1 hour between 85 and 96 LANDBASED. Mangrove Jack LANDBASED. and redclaw by the 20L bucketload. Do the research and study the areas and you WILL find the fish. I've been working away from home since 2005 and always have rods in the car, therefore the only option is LANDBASED.

Just sounded like you we're talking about a totally different place, I've seen nothing even close to that, sorry to pee you off.

Have you thought of getting a Kayak. Opens up alot of country. My brother has been getting some lovely fish out of his kayak in the Boyne, upstream from the bridge at Benaraby. And don't worry about precious Wags, doesn't take much to upset him.

Biggest barra 122cm LANDBASED. 4 barra inside

"Are you really sure about that "

Yeah, was thinking of a kayak but still a bit outside my budget. And a little scared of Crocs.

Barra and redclaw from the bank is quite possible. I fish callide, i have a boat but have never landed a barra from on the water. I have however caught hoards of the bastards off the bank with plenty being over the meter mark. As far as the redclaw go - if you throw a couple pots in off the bank then fish for an hour or so around sunset you can usually pick a few up before heading off.

Given the right conditions - the bank can at times be the best place to fish from to catch a impoundment barra . If you know your locations & the wind has been / is pumping into there ..... you'll have a good place to start . (If you have waves crashing & discoloured water...... even better as it will create a feeding zone often concentrating fish)
    I've personally seen several good barra landed this way.....
    chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

i can post pics of barra caught in the boyne landbased if you like, every second cast we were getting hit and so was everyone else all night (about 15 people fishing off a crossing) most were 80-90cm but we did get a monster at nearly 130cm

Quote Originally Posted by mines bigger View Post
    i can post pics of barra caught in the boyne landbased if you like, every second cast we were getting hit and so was everyone else all night (about 15 people fishing off a crossing) most were 80-90cm but we did get a monster at nearly 130cm
    Just remember the closed season ......
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Just remember the closed season ......
    He said he would post pictures....the closed season has nothing to do fish pictures.