Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redclaw & Barra from the bank

Re: Redclaw & Barra from the bank

Quote Originally Posted by Blindfreddy View Post
    He said he would post pictures....the closed season has nothing to do fish pictures.
    No ..... but the location indicated does !!!

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

nagg what are you on about mate

c'mon buddy he said he could put up some pic's . prob old one's not too long after she spilt over

Quote Originally Posted by childers View Post
    nagg what are you on about mate

c'mon buddy he said he could put up some pic's . prob old one's not too long after she spilt over
    You are both missing the point ........

The guy wants to know where he can catch redclaw & barra off the shore - So naturally we talk about impoundments ........... then someone mentions the Boyne River
    That's fine ..... but I'm just pointing out that the Boyne River is subject to the closed season Just in case Aus2045 see's the photos .. gets all excited -and rushes down to Pikes or where ever on the Boyne to fish for them . ..... He cannot fish for barra there till Feb.

My response has nothing to do with the Photos mentioned just the location

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

havnt wet a line in gladstone since a week before the closure, i know its closed season, thats why i mentioned it in my first post, the biggest barra was caught about 8 months ago!

Used to use the boat in Awoonga to get to a spot & then I would get out & walk. Caught plenty of Barra that way but the big issue would be the weed. After a rise in water level the bank is certainly a very good option, but on a falling level, weed might be a problem.

Hey mate,

I can help you out a little with Lake Callide as I live in Biloela and have fished many thousands of redclaw ONLY from the bank... very rarely used a boat. The more pots the better... bring a friend to allow for more pots (as you can only have 4 per person I think) legally.

Night time is generally better then day time, but the BIG males seem to wander more during the day.. I always use fruit baits as meat/flesh seems to attract turtles and fish. I use a combination of rockmelon and half-boiled spuds in a kids sock (buy heaps from vinnies etc) and just cable-tie them into the pots..

For best results, space pots at least 10-15m apart (unless you find a mass concentration obviously) just before dusk, and check every hour or so after the sun goes down.If you leave them to long most of the redclaw WILL escape from opera house pots.

I have found that redclaw will cruise anywhere and everywhere.. from sheer man-made dam walls of rock, to slow-sloping shallow sandy banks.... Just experiment by spacing pots further apart and finding out which spots work better at that particular time of year.

If you don't get 20+ redclaw in 4 or 5 pots over a few hours, you're doing something wrong. Apart from turtles, Redclaw are the most abundant creature in Callide in my opinion, they are litterally EVERYWHERE, especially since the dam has gone from >10% capacity to <90% capacity.

I guess most other stocked impounds and freshwater dams/creeks will fish very similar for redclaw, it's just finding where they like to forage for food thats the hard part... Can't give you any advice on fishing barra in Callide as I'm a newbie myself but they are definetly out there...

Let us know how you go on your next trip and I hope my input has helped

Cheers
    8ft Flat bottom punt with a 4hp mariner. All man needs on a budget :-)