Thread: Spin reel for around the $150 mark ?

Spin reel for around the $150 mark ?

Hi all... just out of curiosity I am looking for opinions on a strong reliable (but cheap) spin reel.

I have a 15kg spin rod that I need a reel for but don't want to lash out and spend a heap of $$ on. I was thinking of somewhere around the $150 mark.

So I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on a half descent reel to get. I have a Plueger Salt on another rod and it seems like a solid reel but thought I would put it out there for opinions.

Any thoughts?
    2008 Signature 520C with the Suzuki 90 4 stroke on the back

Re: Spin reel for around the $150 mark ?

Penn 950s or 850s get for $99 some places, leaves you $$ for good line. I got both havent missed a beat.

A Penn Slammer 760 would be a good choice. A Speros will be about $30 over your budget but would do the job. If you can go to around the $200 mark you could import a Stradic 8000
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Another option would be a Shimano 6500B/4500B Baitrunner $150@Mo'sTackle . Shimano have dropped it from the 2013 line up.

Thanks guys

The baitrunners I have steered away from as I have a 4500B and 6500B on other rods and they are a pretty heavy reel. The rod I have is super light so I was looking for something that is more a spin reel without the extra weight.. having said that they are a great reel but I prefer them for the bottom bashing stuff as I can set the bait feeder drag etc..

The slammer 760 doesn't look too bad and can be picked up for under $100.... looks like a winner

penn 950 & 850 spin reels i own both are ok i have had no issues with either they go on sale a bit at bcf but are bit weighty

The new Penn Spinfisher V looks pretty good also....

Ive got a slammer live liner 560, not too heavy for a 15lb composite rod, not sure about 15kg rod ,but check them out.

Front n rear drag on the 560 is good, I coated the main washer with cals reel grease and its pretty good.

A great reel for the price of $100 on special, have not seen the V Spin fisher, but they look alright.

Dan

Just thought I would post this (again), they have a few.

Not saying you should run out and buy one, just worth having a look if your doing comparisons on the net.

Check the weights and spool capacity for each reel.

Link does not work, Just Google "Penn reel clearance"

Dan