Thread: GUSA/UC blanks down-under?

GUSA/UC blanks down-under?

I've lost my 2-4Kg bream rod built on a UC 70LXF to the Gods of stupidity a while back , and I was thinking of making a new one... so I have a couple of questions:

1. I've noticed that the GUSA/UC product range is advertised again in the US, but is it available here?

2. It's been a while since I played with blanks (having a kid does that to you!), and I wonder if there is something better on the market these days? I'm looking for a 7' blank to chuck medium size (3-4'') plastics.

3. I quite like the action of the Pflueger XTR range, does anyone know what blanks they're using?

Cheers,
    Steve

Re: GUSA/UC blanks down-under?

Stcroix SC3 70mlf 4to10lb 1/8to 3/8 ive built a few for guys and they love them as i do fishing with them and toss 3to4in on them myself,cheers Chris.

Try this site. I don't think he is retail but could put you on retailers.
    http://www.gccr.com.au/

Jerson.

I am a big fan of the St Croix Blanks for SP fishing..My snapper SP rods are St Croix

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Stcroix SC3 70mlf 4to10lb 1/8to 3/8 ive built a few for guys and they love them as i do fishing with them and toss 3to4in on them myself,cheers Chris.
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for the tip, I've never played with one but I'll definitely check them out.

btw, there is a sale on St croix blanks at Mudhole if anyone's interested.

Quote Originally Posted by jerson View Post
    Try this site. I don't think he is retail but could put you on retailers.
    http://www.gccr.com.au/

Jerson.
    Thanks mate, I did have a look a while back and the blanks list on that site seems to have been unchanged since 2002, hence my query on this forum in case someone who knows someone who knows someone... knows what's happening with UC in Australia.

Metaloid,

Mo Tackle sell UC blanks and if they don't have them in stock they should be able to get them.
    Also, drop Trout Head a message and he might be able to help if he has the time.

Try peter@gccr.com.au.
    I know Peter is still the owner/supplier in Australia. I can't praise these blanks enough (my absolute favorites). Especially if you go the dual helix! Pete spends a lot of time backwards and forwards between here and the states so don't panic if he doesn't get straight back to you. Otherwise you can still get the blanks through MO Tackle.

x 2 on what Mark said , I have now used a number of there blanks .

honestly i think theres alot better blanks on the market now, my GUSA blanks are alot heavier than similar priced blanks and it comes to wall thickness, gusa blanks are quite thick.
    id even go as far as saying MHX blanks are a better option (cheaper to). for plastics i prefer a stiffer/crisp rod and the Spin Jig models are just that. if it was me id jump on the SJ841-MHX, lighter in power than the SJ842, only because i like fishing light!. however, if your 3-4" are being fished mainly in deeper water (with larger jig heads) for snapper than the SJ842 will be the one.
    if the cyber mopnday sale is still on mudhole, jump on a st croix LXF or XF. half price on one of them is a steal! super blanks. st croix, phenix and north fork seem to be the leaders in blank quality atm with each companies similar models only having slight differences in weight and action.

Ben the issue with the GUSA/UC blanks having a thicker wall is due to the dual matrix wrapping scrim. Each to their own style of fishing but I will take one of these any day over a MHX, even at 3-4 times the price of the MHX. In the end you get what you pay for. I haven't used a North Fork or a Phenix but the St Croix are good blanks at a reasonable price range.

your right it does come down to personal preference but i dont feel like they gusa blanks have a real edge over the MHX, sure they have greater impact resistance with a thicker wall but i take care of my rods, esp ones i build for myself so have never had a problem and dont expect to.
    it really comes down to what you want to spend, if your looking for above average in quality and plan on going all out with titanium sics and nice handle setup then an expensive blank can be justified but if you want to work to a budget and less costly components then i really would suggest trying an MHX as im sure you will enjoy it

Thanks everyone, I received a couple of PMs from helpful members and also I emailed Peter, so I am now fully up-to-date with the availability of UC blanks.

Finally thanks for the input on St Croix and MHX blanks, they look like good options as well... As the saying goes, so many toys, so little time!

I did have a finger hovering over the Cyber Monday St Croix sale, but as (bad) luck would have it the blank I was most interested in was sold out!!!

I haven't used a North Fork or a Phenix but the St Croix are good blanks at a reasonable price range.
    Hi Mark,

Out of curiosity, have you had a chance to compare the newer SC V with the SC III? Their marketing is very impressive but obviously real world feedback would be even better!

Sorry Steve but the last St Croix I did was a SC111 fly rod (5 weight). I've never built their SCV. Their SC1V is very impressive though and if you can get them at a good price they are well worth it. Performance wise, the higher you go in modullus the stiffer, lighter and more sensitive the blank but the more brittle (usually).Don't get me wrong about the MHX blanks either. I've built 3 at this stage and they are really good value for money but for me, comparing them to a UC or St Croix blank is like comparing a Ferrari to a Holden. I'm sure the North Forks would be similar.

hi there Metaloid,id just go the SC111 if you go the Stcroix,i went to them after i fished with the GUSA 2-10 lb and broke the tip