Thread: saltiga or stella for marlin opinions please.

saltiga or stella for marlin opinions please.

Hi im going to start chasing marlin and would like some feedback on the stella and saltiga, i know there both good in there own right but has anyone caught marlin on either of these and has anyone owned both and have a preference? I am going to get a tiagra as well but would like a egg beater as well that can double for kings etc.

Re: saltiga or stella for marlin opinions please.

You could do it on a Penn 9500ss

What size Marlin are you planning on chasing and where??

Small Blacks you would get away with a Saragosa or Stradic running 20lb line. Where as Blue Marlin you are going to need to run minimum of 24kg and you will struggle to get the line capacity on a spinning reel unless you really know what your doing with regards to clearing lines and driving the boat...

cool i already got one of them and will try it while i save up, think ill need a bit more drag for the bigens but

big ones out on the shelf off evans head also tuna. Just booked a charter with ru4reel outa tweed and will be asking him a million questions
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot82 View Post
    What size Marlin are you planning on chasing and where??

Small Blacks you would get away with a Saragosa or Stradic running 20lb line. Where as Blue Marlin you are going to need to run minimum of 24kg and you will struggle to get the line capacity on a spinning reel unless you really know what your doing with regards to clearing lines and driving the boat...

If you want to catch Marlin on a spin outfit, you really want to "switch baiting", or only running 2 lures/baits. For the very reason Spot82 mentioned line capacity and clearing lines etc.

With only running 2 lures/baits you can start chasing the fish immediately you get him on, while someone clears the other bait.

If you switch them, then there is nothing other than the bait on your spin rod in the water, and you can get right after them.

Have fun!
    Cheers,
    Myles

P.s 20000 Stella with at least 80lb braid, if you want to fish for Blues out on the shelf
    "Elempi" American Bertram 33, 3208T Caterpillar power

You could wait for the new Stella 30000 to come out next year some time. That little bit of extra line capacity could make the difference.