Thread: Lowrance Structure Scan LSS-2 Transducer Position & Performance

Lowrance Structure Scan LSS-2 Transducer Position & Performance

Hi all, i bought a transom mount lss-2 structure scan unit today. Reading a bit about them i see you can mount the transducer above the planing water level so it is out of the water at speed, therefore will not read bottom until you come off the plane. Is this style of transducer meant to read at speed, i.e as a skimming transducer? The specs say it can read at speed but best at say 10km/hr. Just don't want to stuff around with transducer positions trying to get it to read at speed when it won't. Interested what others have done, cheers dave.

Re: Lowrance Structure Scan LSS-2 Transducer Position & Performance

No - these SI transducers are meant to read at low speed (a few knots at best) This is why they can be mounted on non planning surfaces like jack plates & pods - Just remember that you still need the skimmer type transducer to do your normal sounder readings and they should be mounted as close together as possible ( under 30cm) Mine are mounted side by side with the LSS2 slightly lower than the skimmer

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Does anyone get interference due to the outboard blocking the beam? Does anyone know what the beam angle is for both frequencies 800 and 455hz. Mine when at level trim may give me problems, depending on beam angle, will try on weekend. Tks.

Nagg how close is side by side,I just purchased a hds 7 touch and I am just starting to do the install,so I would like to know how to have transducers mounted? I read that they recommend 300 mm apart but is closer okay?

Stik, installed mine on transom first but had to tilt motor up to far to get clear image on side scan. Structure scan transducer only needs to be less than 300mm apart if you plan to overlay downscan onto your existing sonar image, any wider than this the overlay won't match up. I end up inverting my transducer and mounted it under hull in centre as i have 150mm flat planing strake, perfect image with no interferance. Structure scan transducer needs to be lower than any transducer as the structure scan will pick up anything 180 degrees on side scan. Initial testing is awesome, will try in deeper water this weekend. Good luck with your install.

Make sure motor can turn full lock to lock without hitting tranny. I have the black wire exiting at the rear.

Can you turn off downscan and run only the sidescan transfer? Ie say sidescan combined with a separate furuno looking down?
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Hi all - is there any more info from other users of the Lowrance structure scan transducer re mounting position. I have one ready to mount, any suggestions would be appreciated. Instructions say not to mount under hull - If its transom mounted then outboard shadows one side. My other question is which way to mount transducer regarding cable - front or rear. Settings can be inverted to match.

Cheers Don

G'day

Interesting, I have the same unit (pretty much) in the Simrad NSS8.

Structure t'ducer is mounted on the port side and yes, i can read at planing speeds and have seen one boat with it cleverly mounted under the hull along the keel.

The normal sounder t'ducer is mounted on the starboard side, normal location.

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

I have installed mine under hull, don't see the difference between under hull or transom mounted. If you hit something at speed I think the outcome would be the same, stuffed! Will put some pics up tomorrow where i have mounted mine.
    SF565 Southwind with F115 Yamaha 4 Stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Can you turn off downscan and run only the sidescan transfer? Ie say sidescan combined with a separate furuno looking down?
    Yes you can just look at down scan or side scan left or right view. Can overlay side scan on hds gen 2 chart plotter units.

This is where I mounted mine. Transducer mounted directly in front of motor inline with centre of hull, works perfectly mounted in this position, full signal at any speed, no interference from motor or other transducers & has no effect on motor i.e. cavitation. I use my boat for nearly 100% offshore use so less chance of hitting something, wouldn't mount it in this position if I was using in in the river, better to have flip up transducer bracket, the only issue with flip up transom type bracket is picking up the motor leg in down & side scan. The LSS-2 transducer is longer than the LSS-1 previous model so even more issues with picking up motor as it extends further out from transom. Some boats don't have a flat strake under the boat so you may not have an option but to use the transom bracket. Cheers, Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

great thread!

Anyone have the dimensions of the LSS-2 Transducer showing hole centers and overall footprint?

SPlash

Ausfish Platinum Member

Mines mounted on transom side by side with std transducer, had no problems with it until it was six months old, then all I got was "No Signal" on the screen. Fault find exercises went for too long cause i wasnt using he boat, and now it's outa warranty, hasn't worked since. It worked fine for a short time side by side, so it should be ok that close. I'm gunna get rid of the lowrance now and go to something that I can get after sales service and help with. Sorry rant over.

Cheers
    Corry
    Cheers
    Corry